AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2003, 08:46 PM

hercules card won't work!

Hi I have just installed a Hercules prophet 4000xt graphics cardbut cannot get it to work correctly, my mainboard is an Epox EP-3WTM, I read somewhere that i need to disable the onboard graphics but there is no option to do this in the CMOS SETUP UTILITY.

is there a way of disabling the onboard or should i chuck the card?

dismayed Taff
Old 16th September, 2003, 10:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to golfer49

If the card is an AGP card, in an AGP slot, the onboard will automatically be disabled when it senses the new card..................if the card is new enough, you may need to install directx 9.x to get it to be recognized b4 you load the drivers?

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 Barton 2500 AQZFA0340SPMW 11 x 214
w/SLK900A & 92 mm fan (38 deg C)
2 x WD400JD---Gainward Ti4200 8 X AGP
Twinmos PC3200 w/ Winbond chips 2 X 256
600 watt dual fan psu

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 XP1700DLT3C 10 x 225
SK7 with 80mm smartfan ( 37 deg C )
Gainward FX5200 128 Mb DDR
2 x 40 Gb Maxtor ATA 133 drives
Buffalo PC3200 2 x 256 CH5 chips
650 watt dual fan power supply

WinXP Pro, SP1, nVidia 3.13 on both
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2003, 05:00 PM

Unhappy

it's a PCI card the notes say to disable onboard graphics but i cannot find the option that allows this to be done would a new BIOS do the trick?
Old 19th September, 2003, 06:42 AM
EPoX Tech

Since the chipset is purely SMA and not able to run a discrete mode, it is not possible to run in any other mode than SMA and as such a tertiary graphics card cannot be used unless added to the system as a secondary display adaptor ina multiple monitor output system.

In order to add a graphics card to a system with onboard graphics that use SMA it is necessary to have an AGP slot, since boards of this kind have the ability to disable SMA memory addressing and enable discrete memory addressing.

Having two areas of memory showing to the system for mapping of direct draw data and only one monitor attached will only serve to cause blue screening.

BIOS updates cannot change the nature of the way in which hardware is designed to act.

To cap - for real VGA and 3D useability, an AGP port or capable onboard graphics such as NForce 2 IGP or IGP9100 from ATi are required. It would probably have been more cost effective in this instance to have purchased a mainboard and an OEM AGP card with a faster GPU and more memory than what it will now cost to house this card into a discrete memory architecture board.
Old 19th September, 2003, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the advice finances don't allow me to spend to much at the moment but i will remember your advice in the future.
thanks again
Taff