AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th January, 2002, 09:35 AM

Unhappy please help

ive just got my ep-8k7a+ and brand new OEM xp 1800+ and 512 of crucial pc2100 and am already having problems with them.

specifically, i cannot run my fsb at 133(266ddr) ever. this means that my cpu isnt even runnning at its default clock of 1533mhz. i only get an xp 1700 at best out of it.

i have tried the latest release BIOS from epox(10/17/01) AND the beta bios from this site. beta is less stable than release. heh.
the most ive ever gotten stably is 130(normal mem timings in CMOS)

are there ANY jumpers/CMOS settings/anything i am overlooking?!
the ram should be good enough being micron, right?
the cpu is the latest stepping OEM, i checked.
im about ready to get a 8KHA+ just to see if its the chipset. i dont know. but it sucks.

vid card=ATI radeon 8500 retail
power supply=300w <-----that enough?/

thankyou in advance
Old 4th January, 2002, 10:54 AM
Deactivated

Send a message via AIM to kendan

What are your temps? you might want to check this thread out.
Old 4th January, 2002, 11:21 AM

thanks for the reply kendan!
my CPU temp usually hovers around 46-51 degrees celcius, this is with the vcore jumper @ default 1.78v. now keep in mind this is with the cpu running WELL below the specd 1800+ clock of 1533mhz, more like 1200-1300mhz
Old 4th January, 2002, 12:04 PM
EPoX Tech

r1cola,

Welcome to the forums,

Please do ensure the utilisation of a PSU that is AMD recommended on their site. For your particular system we would recomend a PSU of at least 350W with at least 195W of combined power.

Please also ensure that the Host Clock of 133MHz is set from the Jumper JCLK1 on the mainboard rather than in the BIOS where it appears that you are changing this setting.
Old 4th January, 2002, 08:56 PM

ya, ive tried it both ways, with the JCLK1 jumper and BIOS settings. 130 is the max i can get either way.

shouldnt a 300w PSU should be enough tho?

what about SPECIFIC BIOS settings for my ram?

thanks

update: ok my PSU model is not listed on AMDs site, BUT there is a 300w unit same as my brand, just a diff model number. i noticed many 300w PSU's on there list.

i kinda think its not the PSU, but im open to anything really. heh
ive tried a lesser vid card also to see if it was a video issue, same problem

mabey the 8kha+ would sovle it?

Last edited by r1cola; 4th January, 2002 at 09:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th January, 2002, 09:51 PM

I think your CPU is overheating and doesn't have enough power. 51c is pretty high, especially since it's not even at the default clock. 300w isn't really all that good for the setup you have. Invest in a nice PSU, such as an Antec 350w, or an Antec 400w PP412X, etc. DON'T GET A NEW ENERMAX AS THEY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THEIR 5v POWER LINE. Get a good PSU... it will last for MANY upgrades to come .
Old 4th January, 2002, 11:59 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I don't think it's your temp. I've been running most of my stuff over 50. My Duron 800 overclocked to 1Ghz hovers around the 53 mark. My Athlon C 1333 overclocked to 1540 running at 140FSB typically runs at around 52. An XP running at 1607 runs at around 49 on the Epox 8KHA+. Another XP on a nForce board runs at a cool 43 for some reason. Another XP on a Gigabyte board runs at around 58-59. All of them are rock stable no matter which benchmark I run and I've run them for days sometimes. Excluding the one running at 43, the others all run somewhere between 49-59. These are all temps under 100% CPU load and I run them that way all the time. As for power supply, I don't think a huge power supply is really that important unless you plan to do heavy overclocking. I had my 8KHA+ running on a generic 250 Watt PSU for about a month until I decided to overclock. Didn't have a single crash during that time and I run all the machines 24/7 under 100% CPU load. I have the Gigabyte board overclocked to 150 FSB on a 300 Watt Antec PSU and again, I haven't had a problem. That particular rig also has a DVD-Rom and CDRW and I haven't had any problems using those while doing DC in the background. The only reason I don't OC any higher is because my HD tends to crap out at speeds over 150 FSB when transferring large files. As for Enermax, I have a 450 Watt one and I have yet to have a problem with it. I haven't had a PSU related crash with the Enermax yet. The 5V rail typically hangs around the 4.79-4.95 range and as I said before, this is with the machine running at 100% CPU load.

In regards to memory timings, I also run them all at the max so as I said before, I don't think it's your temps or PSU.

Concerning the JCLK1 thing, If you have it set at 133, the board should automatically default to that setting without having to go into the BIOS. Perhaps a couple of the bridges on your XP are messed up or something and it's locked into a lower multiplier because at 130 FSB, the BIOS should still recognize your XP it as an 1800.

I'm not sure what additional devices you have on your machine, but I think perhaps you should try running with the bare essentials. Just the Video card, one stick of RAM, and HD. Take out or disconnect all the other stuff and see what your results are. If things are satisfactory, you can add the other devices back one at a time to see what the culprit is.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your board. I know it can be extremely frustrating if you can't get something to work the way it's supposed to.
Old 5th January, 2002, 10:08 AM

mooky, thanks so much for the insightfull reply. about the 130fsb setting, youre right that it does register as an 1800+ at that speed(actually the minimum fsb it will display 1800 at), but i MUST always use the "normal" ram timings in BIOS. the tradeoff is if i lower the fsb to around 120-125 i can use the "fast" timings. its sooooo freaking annoying.

my other components are as follows:
ati radeon 8500 retail
dvdrom
cdrw
floppy
2 ide hd's
sb live value
3com 10/100

_______

if its not the PSU, then what else could it be? i am giving serious thought to replacing my 8k7a+ with an ha+, but that may not even make any difference. i dunno.
ive tried all of the possible vcore AND vmem jumper settings in an effort to get my fsb up......to no avail.

everything in my box is sufficiently cooled. AMD approved coolermaster HSF, etc...
Old 5th January, 2002, 12:13 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

I think its a temp thing....... 51 celsius reading out of the in socket thermister?

mine read 31 celsius and the CPU was actually at 65 and climbing before it even finished POSTing. i scrabbled for the power button, couldnt find it so yanked the power chord out!

EPoX tech, you know best way to insure reletively accurate temps from the in socket sensor? as i think a 34celsius error on mine is a little scary!

If this is a common occurance, i think the manuals to all motherboards should have a little warning about Athlon XP in em. since i read the thing about the chips bending and things.... its scary... woulda thought AMD would guard against things like it!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2002, 02:19 PM
AOA Staff

Hi again,

What kind of memory are you using? Also, what timings are you using. A lot of brands balk at running at CL 2 if it's not rated for it. Even the Crucial doesn't like to do CL 2 on my nForce board, but it's fine on any other board. Also since I've never had your particular board, I'm not sure if it has settings for VDIMM. If it does, up the voltage until it's stable. They say it shortens the life of your components by half if you do so, but you know, I don't think I would want my computer to last me 10 years. I overvolt anything and everything I can for stability if nothing else. Well, nothing on the 12V line. Stuff might burn up. Anyway, I hope you get your board working.

Mook.
Old 6th January, 2002, 12:18 AM

it is crucial 2.5 CAS DDR. and my board does have VDIMM, its currently at +.1v, which is the default. i am typing this running at 133(266) 1800+ 1533hmz at this very moment, uptime is about 16 minutes, altough all i have done is IE and winamp. heh
its been at 57c the whole time.

i dont dare try a burn in with sandra or even a game at this point, BUT it hasnt locked yet doing just this mundane stuff.

i think ill buy an antec 350 AND a 8kha+ very soon, then if it STILL has the same probs with that. mabey i can conclude its my cpu ram or vid card.

btw mooks, i removed all unneeded components last nite and tested, same deal.
Old 6th January, 2002, 12:29 AM
AOA Staff

I think you have enough room to up the voltage. All of my machines run at least .2 over. My main rig runs .3 over for a 2.8 total. Although I've never had a problem, some guys say that at 2.9, heat becomes a problem and you need heat spreaders and such on the RAM. Anyway, are you trying to run CL 2? I forgot which one it is, but the one that lets you choose between 5 and 6 should be left at 6. They say there's no real performance increase, but it can cause stability problems. After a while it's supposed to cause HD errors. Anyway, my recommendation is to overvolt it a little more and try the high timings again. The Crucial stuff loves the extra voltage. Some of the diehards pump it up to over 3.0 V so they can run 200 FSB. I'm personally not too big on complex mods and such, so I tend to leave the boards alone and just go for the simple overclocks.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 6th January, 2002, 05:07 AM

Id still be worried about that temperature

What cooler are you using ?

Id reseat it with arctic silver and try again.

You might just have a bad contact with the core.

Ive had all sorts of odd things happern with my PC when temperatures get too high.

57*c idle is pretty high, most people can run there Xp's at less than 50*c load with ordinary heatsinks.

Its certainly worth checking it out anyway.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 6th January, 2002, 08:51 PM

That temperature IS WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too high for god's sake! 57c with the CPU IDLE means it'll crash QUICKLY with ANYTHING more than web browsing...

Get better cooling. NOW! Don't type slowly, type quickly as you go to a site like caseetc.com, sidewindercomputers.com, and so-trickcomputers.com. Your computer WILL fry itself if you leave it running even just webbrowsing with time like that, and you won't be able to run any games with that.
Old 7th January, 2002, 01:30 AM

while im aware that temp is too high, i dont believe it is the fault of my cooling solution. my HSF is listed right on AMD's site for the 1800+. as others have suggested, im thinking it is my power supply.

i ordered an ANTEC 350 dual fan PSU last night, hopefully this will make a difference.

coz, i noted that whenever i increase my VCORE OR VDIMM jumpers the slightest amount, i get an EVEN LESS stable system, which suggests components arent getting enough juice, as usually increasing those levels does the exact opposite: more stability
Old 7th January, 2002, 03:34 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Wow, I have had my cpu up to 75c at one time. I did'nt realize it till about a week of it running that hot and i didnt really see a major slowdown. Thats when i decided to trash the dragon orb and get a MC462. Problem resolved my tbird 1.33 is running at 49c full load.
Old 7th January, 2002, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by r1cola
while im aware that temp is too high, i dont believe it is the fault of my cooling solution. my HSF is listed right on AMD's site for the 1800+. as others have suggested, im thinking it is my power supply.

i ordered an ANTEC 350 dual fan PSU last night, hopefully this will make a difference.

coz, i noted that whenever i increase my VCORE OR VDIMM jumpers the slightest amount, i get an EVEN LESS stable system, which suggests components arent getting enough juice, as usually increasing those levels does the exact opposite: more stability
Do you have any exhaust fans aside from the PSU? If not, get a slot exhaust fan or figure out some other way of getting air out (if you do case modding, etc.) A better PSU definitely will help the stability, but the temperature is another matter.