AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th January, 2002, 12:03 AM

Epox 8kha+ blocked on FF code

Hi,
first of all sorry for my bad english…..I’m italian living in Turin.

Lets go into the problem.
I’m using for cooling my Xp 1800+ on the Epox 8kha+ a system (project and made by myself) whit 2 peltiers which allow me to cool the Cpu at –21° C and boost-it up to 1875mhz rock solid.

This happen only at the first time when I started the Epox motherboard…then when the pc has been switched of , and after a while powered on again, the Epox didn’t start and was blocked on FF code.

I tried to many things: clear cmos, new power supply (the system is assisted by 3 Ps : 2 of 300W each for the peltiers, 1 of 420W just for the motherbord), new Cpu…..but nothing…..no way. The Epox doesn’t wont to work on such kind of cooling system.

Anyhow it works absolutely perfect whit a simple fan heatsink or waterblock …

After the first time, I try several time to put on the peltiers system again, but every time, no one starting …..The Epox is absolutely blocked on FF code....no boot. Is enough to dismantle the peltiers, just take away the processor and than put-it on the socket again, clear the cmos…. and using a normal heatsink….the pc starts at the first boot working well.

I’m absolutely sure about the correct assembling ad functioning of the the 2peltiers system, which however is working fine on the others motherboards without any block.

I’m knowing that even some other user, using simply ehatsink, has the FF code problem.

Why this happen????

Which could be the relation with the FF code problem and my 2 peltiers system?

Many thanks for the reply (Epox-tech answer will be highly appreciate)

Byez
Spin0

Overclocking section Moderator - www...............

Ps. to whom is iterested to my 2pelt system see attached images
Attached Thumbnails
Epox 8kha+ blocked on FF code-immagine001.jpg  

Last edited by Spin0ne; 9th January, 2002 at 12:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th January, 2002, 12:11 AM

Have you tried running stock speed with the super cooling ?

What FSB, multiplyer and voltages are you using ?

What bios version are you using.

Are you pre-cooling the CPU to -20 and then turning the PC on ?

That looks like a nice cooling system.
Can you post a link to some more pics.

P.S.. you will have to remove the link from your sig as only allied sites can be linked to in sigs. (I think thats right anyway, if it is im sure a mod will sell you)

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th January, 2002, 12:49 AM

Holst,

I removed the link

Bios: 8khal00
Cpu: Amd Xp 1800+....unblocked
Vcore: 1,85 (I stopped the Vcore mod. for the FF problems incourred)
Ram: 512M Crucial pc2100
Grap. card: Asus G3 T500
Frequency: 1875mhz (12,5x150) rock stable
" 1870mhz (10,5x178)
Tec power: n° 2......110 Qmax 15,5 Vmax 15a Imax
Temp water: -3°
water volume: 100/L (acquarium outside..in the balcony) with 5% alcool
waterpump: n°2.... (500 l/h 1m 800 l/h 1,2m)

I'm precooling system with 1 peltier first at -11° and then start the system (with thw second tec). Idle temp -20,6°...load temp -1,5°

Unfortunatly I just run 1 roghly test for only 1/2 hour ....then I powered off leaving the machine for 15 min. On the restart....never boot again.

As I told....assembled ad dismantling several times the system...no way to boot

Now is working fine at 1784 mhz by only a wb.

Image of the cold plate:
Attached Thumbnails
Epox 8kha+ blocked on FF code-immagine023.jpg  

Last edited by Spin0ne; 9th January, 2002 at 01:12 AM.
Old 9th January, 2002, 01:10 AM

Recently I've made some litle modification on the cooling system and I'm expecting to pass -30° in idle.

I would like to continue my cooling experiments...but I can't assemble again on the Epox.....I'm afraid of FF block....the sealing for preventing moisture is not easy to do.

HELP.... I want my Epox working!!!

1 picture moore
Attached Thumbnails
Epox 8kha+ blocked on FF code-immagine031.jpg  
Old 9th January, 2002, 02:49 AM

Thats a very unusual system, it sounds like ots working well.

I cant think of any obvious reason why the 8KHA+ wouldnt work with your cooling.

I dont see why such a low temperature would be a problem as lots of people have run vapochill and peltier setups on them.

Id suspect that something on your cooling is shorting onto the board, or upsetting something.

Could it be that your putting to much tension into the board through your mounting ?

Would it be possible to boot your CPU at a low speed and voltage without any peltiers running. That would rule out the extremely low temperatures being to blame.

Could you please explain exactly how your cooling works and how its mounted, partly because it might help and partly because it looks very cool.

Old 9th January, 2002, 07:54 AM

It would be quite interesting to find out what might be causing your problem.
I've seen alot of posts where people purchase this board & it goes straight to FF code & no boot.

Here you have 1 that you can cause this problem to happen & then go away.

I've seen a common cause is when they use the 4 bolt holes in the motherboard, say by attaching a alpha heatsink. It seems you have to insulate around the holes very well or it might short the motherboard.

Last edited by rocky500; 9th January, 2002 at 07:56 AM.
Old 9th January, 2002, 08:51 AM

Quote:
[i]
Id suspect that something on your cooling is shorting onto the board, or upsetting something.

Could it be that your putting to much tension into the board through your mounting ?

Would it be possible to boot your CPU at a low speed and voltage without any peltiers running. That would rule out the extremely low temperatures being to blame.

Could you please explain exactly how your cooling works and how its mounted, partly because it might help and partly because it looks very cool. [/B]
Thanks for reply Holst

my point of view starting to approch and analise the problem is:

If other, let me say, normal user whit simply different heatsink had the motherboard block code FF tryng to boot the system, this is a strange problem that Epox motherboards can have, when “particulars situations” are togheter generating the block. Those “particular situation” should not be related to the kind…the shape…..or the assumption base of the cooling system.

So…..let me pose this question: “Why some Epox 8kha+ motherboards “simply user” (sorry for this definition) sometimes has the mobo blocked on FF code?”
After that the reason has find, we can try to put-it on the relation to my particular cooling system.

I dont’ think that the system are shorting mobo somewhere. Upsetting something?…..probably yes

What do you means for tension?…..mechanical one? Current?…… If current, I try to boot even with the peltiers unplugged, after the cmos cleared…..no way!!

Is possible to do everythings with normal heatsinks. When the 2pelts are mounted and the mobo is blocked….I can do nothings….just to dismount…..clear the cmos...put another heatsink.....and the Pc boot and restart normally.

Holst…..is not easy for me (English knowledge) explain the exactly base assumptions of my system idea. I use to cool Cpu with tec since from several years.
It works just like the other tec system, whit the particularity of the double power and this is the results of my experience on that. This is not the definitive version, during ½ hour testing I remark some “particular aspect” and some small modification are made others are prepared…..but I need a motherboard working at 100% in order to pursuit the test.

I’m writing an article for my overclocking forum website where I’m moderator but……unfortunatly is in italian language.

For Roky500

I’m not using bolt into holes for clamping the cooling system on the socket. It is absolutly well insulate all around and when I dismount-it no trace of moisture at all could be find on the cpu

On the next post I will post a picture of how the system is clamped on the socket (actually I’m not at home)

Byez
Spin0

Last edited by Spin0ne; 9th January, 2002 at 08:56 AM.
Old 9th January, 2002, 08:29 PM

If you have tried without the peltiers running and it still wont work out then we can rule out the low temperatures being a cause.

As for tension i meant mechanical tension in the board socket area due to the weight of your cooling.

You might find Coles thread "Athlon Xp's may bend resultimg in fried CPUs" Maybee you have a similar problem with the CPU not making propper contact on your board.

Maybee trying another CPU might help. Try a old style Duron or Athlon.

Otherwise I can only think that your cooling is touching something it shouldnt shorting out the board in some way.

Im not sure what would cause a FF, no post. Maybee Epox tech could shed some light in this area.

Old 9th January, 2002, 11:34 PM

Great!!!!!
tank you very much Holst. I think you got the point!!!

Thanks olso to Cole that post the experience about XP problem bending.

Yes......the problem that Xp could be bend and giving problem is the reason that I feel very close to my trouble.

You will well understand why, looking the picture that i will attach.
In effect, if I screw to much tha central bolt, I could make to much pressure on the Cpu having the bend problems.

I think that if this is the reason I can easly solve putting somethings hard stuff into the hole socket.

However I remember that.... when mobo was locked on FF, I had some doubt about this possybly bending problem....... and i tryed to completly release the pressure done by the bolt, leaving the system on the cpu as it is.....no bot.

Anyhow....at list now I have something to work around, wacthing and taking care.

Thanks so much Holst
Thanks so much Cole

Byez
Spin0
Attached Thumbnails
Epox 8kha+ blocked on FF code-immagine330.jpg