AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th January, 2002, 01:33 AM

Unhappy Dead 8KHA+

Hi,

I received s new EP-8kHA+ that died the same day. No mods were done for voltage Vcore=1.85, Vdimm=3.0V. I'd flashed the 12-18 BIOS. It worked fine for a few hours, then it started booting with odd multipliers. I'd choose x10.5, and it booted at x9.5. I choose x7.0 and it booted x7.5. Then it stopped POSTing, until I cleared CMOS each time. I tried flashing back to the official 11-02 BIOS, but problems persisted. I think the POST display was on 0d when it hung on POST. Then, the last time I booted, it emitted a long beep which suddenly rose in pitch. I powered off and now, no fans, no LED's, nothing. I checked to make sure that no standoffs were shorting from the underside. I'm going to RMA, but I wonder what happened to it. It was a Revision 2.0 board with the "U" BIOS chip. The CPU and PSU are working fine. I tested with a different mobo.

Thanks for any information,

Rob

Last edited by schoolie; 13th January, 2002 at 01:35 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2002, 05:43 AM

I was about to ask if you had unlocked an XP chip - saw a bad unlock fry a board one time, but it doesn't sound like that happened since you tested the cpu on a different mobo. I've only had one out of 5 8KHA+ boards go bad. Epox took care of it within a week.
Old 13th January, 2002, 12:40 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole
I was about to ask if you had unlocked an XP chip - saw a bad unlock fry a board one time, but it doesn't sound like that happened since you tested the cpu on a different mobo. I've only had one out of 5 8KHA+ boards go bad. Epox took care of it within a week.
Quite correct - an incorrectly unlocked chip would fry a board - it would stick out like a sore thumb when it got to the repair department also.
Old 13th January, 2002, 09:25 PM

I don't think it's a bad unlock. I've been running this CPU in another motherboard for a while, and I unlocked it with silver epoxy and 5-minute epoxy to insulate the pits. Certainly, anything is possible. Thanks for the reply.
Old 17th January, 2002, 04:43 PM

I'm getting the same multiplier problem in another motherboard. Can somebody please tell me how a bad unlock job can kill a motherboard? I'm afraid to use this CPU in my new motherboard. I've checked continuity on each bridge and the L1's seem OK. I've also check to make sure no short exists between bridges.

Thanks!
Old 22nd January, 2002, 07:54 AM

I would have thought the only way to cause some problems would be that you didn't fill the pits enough first & some of the conductive silver got in. Or the L1 bridges are touching.

Since you can see the L1 bridges I think mabey you didn't fill the gaps enough.
Old 22nd January, 2002, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky500
I would have thought the only way to cause some problems would be that you didn't fill the pits enough first & some of the conductive silver got in. Or the L1 bridges are touching.

Since you can see the L1 bridges I think mabey you didn't fill the gaps enough.
I think rocky is correct.
If your sure your not shorting between the L1s then you might have some paint inside one of the pits.

If I was you Id do everything that I could to clean up the CPU and then try unlocking again.

Get all the paint off and then use a magnifying glass (or microscope) to look into the pits and make sure that they are filled. If you gota air bubble in the epoxy it might allow some paint to get down there.

Good luck, and I hope you dont kill your other board too.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!