AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th March, 2004, 09:59 PM

Question XP slowdown: 8RDA+ & Promise Ultra100 TX2

Hello everyone...

Is anyone using 8RDA+ & Promise Ultra100 TX2 and noticing big slowdowns in WinXP? It especially happens while WinXPs are booting. Takes a while when welcome screen appears and while trayicon programs load. If I take the card out everything is running smooth again.

There must be some problems with Nforce2 and Promise controllers. My primary HDDs are not connected to Promise controller, I just use it for additional HDDs. Really weird. Using latest drivers and bios for all the components so it can't be that.

Its also little bit faster if I disconnect the HDDs from Promise, but even with the card just sitting in a PC and being unused it slows down machine quite a bit.

Also I noticed that Promise Ultra100 TX2 spins down some of the HDD's when windows are restarting and then spins them back up then Promise bios screen comes up. Not doing that with IBM Deskstar Im using right now but wit some Western Digitals did.

Guess those older Promise cards just suck these days.

thanx
Old 9th March, 2004, 10:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm not a big fan of the Promise cards ever since I had one take a dump on a server in a hospital, and Promise told me that it was a known issue that would be addressed at a later time, but would never give me a date.

Anyway, if the mere presence of the controller is slowing things down, I would tend to suspect an IRQ conflict between the Promise and your on-board IDE controller in the nForce2, or a driver conflict between the Promise drivers and the NF2 drivers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th March, 2004, 01:30 AM

Hmm, I dont think its an IRQ conflict since its not showing up like that and I tried several PCI combinations. It might be driver conflict or memory address or something...

I though Nforce was liitle better than VIA with handling PCI cards, seem not. My B2C2 Broadband PCI card is slowing XP down, too. But that one was always famous for that.

Promise should work better, I think, it work fine more or less on VIA KT333 a while ago.

ah well...thanx for reply, gizmo..
Old 10th March, 2004, 01:36 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hmmm..........my ABIT AN-7 and NF7-S both work quite nicely with my PCI SCSI RAID controller and IDE CD-ROM burner and IDE DVDI drive, so I don't think it is strictly an nForce vs PCI thing.....

Anyway, maybe someone else will have some thoughts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!