AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th January, 2002, 10:00 AM

Which unlock method

I have a ECS K7S5A and a XP 1700+ that I can run at 146 fsb with some stability problems. I think its more or less the cheap board I have, so I was thinking about getting an Epox board. Plus this ECS board is boring as there is not much you can do with it. If you want to run stock than it just fine.

So, that said, what method do you guys use to unlock your Xp. I have never done it before and I have seen some videos of it but was just wondering

I was thinking about using model paint to fill the gaps, then use a conductive pen

Anyone have any more detail on this method
Old 16th January, 2002, 05:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I may not have this right, sorry. I suggest going to www.overclockers.com and search for this info. They had a few front page articles about unlocking the Palomino's, aka Athlon XP's.
Old 18th January, 2002, 05:16 AM

I used the stuff from ChemTronics on my XP 1800+ and it worked like a charm. I used Heat Sink Grease as Gap filler and the Silver Conductive Grease to close the connections. I'm going to use the Overcoat Pen to seal it, but so far, it's fine.

The thing I like with this method is if you don't get it right the first time, you can just clean it off with a little Acetone and do it over, not to mention if I ever need to RMA the chip

You can get everything (except the overcoat Pen) Here with instructions here
Really worked out nicely... 4 me

G'luck

Ray

Last edited by Rayzor; 18th January, 2002 at 05:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2002, 07:06 AM

Here's some links to unlock the XP:
Unlocking the Athlon XP at iamnotageek.com

XP Bridge Connecting at chillblast.com

Unlocking the Athlon XP at Icrontic.com

Unlocking Kit review at maxxdata.com

Athlon XP Unlocking Kit review at AMDPower.com
Old 18th January, 2002, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rayzor

The thing I like with this method is if you don't get it right the first time, you can just clean it off with a little Acetone and do it over, not to mention if I ever need to RMA the chip

I want this option too but I heard that Acetone will eat away the top of the CPU

I thinks Nail Polish remover or rubbing Alchohol is better

Anyone know more
Old 18th January, 2002, 12:44 PM

Acetone is the main ingrediant in Nail polish Remover. Acetone is the same thing without all the perfume, oils, etc.
I've been cleaning my chips with it for years with absolutely no problems.

Also, at the Chemtronics link I gave you before, you can get CircuitWorks Conformal Coating Remover, if you really want to play it safe

Ray

Last edited by Rayzor; 18th January, 2002 at 01:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2002, 01:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

2-Propanone works fairly well at removing all sorts of things... I've even gone as far as using dimethylbenzene and methylbenzene before to clean chips. Doesn't do a bad job, and evaporates fairly quickly. Not the nicest of things to use though, so I don't recommend them.

AidanII
Old 19th January, 2002, 01:21 AM

I can remember, back ina-days, using Carbon-Tetrachloride (Carbon-Tet) to clean parts. Now that stuff worked great only, I think it was found to be a carcinogen, and taken off the market

Last edited by Rayzor; 19th January, 2002 at 01:23 AM.
Old 19th January, 2002, 07:16 PM
OCmadeEZ

HighSpeedPC XP Unlocking Kit

It really works well and you can clean up any mistakes you make.