AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th January, 2002, 10:01 PM

Where are the temp sensors?

I'm loving my 8KHA+ (God bless Epox!), and I have a question about where the temp sensors are located. Obviously there's the one in the CPU socket. But in Sandra, and in MBM5, there's a second temp probe that's listed as "Case Temp" which, for me, is currently running at about 38*C. Which I know can't be right. The outside temp is 44*F, and my computer is in an unfinished basement, sitting on a concrete floor, with three case fans running, and the case panels off (kinda defeats the purpose of the case fans, don't it?).

Basically, I'm trying to find out why the reading for my case is so high? And I think the best way to do that would be to find the location of the temp probe used for the case temps.
Old 17th January, 2002, 01:13 AM
EPoX Tech

Whilst not being the most accurate of sensors (on board type) as you all know from everything that you read, since the chassis probe is an environmental sensor rather than a contact sensor - it doesn't have to touch anything - on most mainboards it is undistinguishable from the other SMT resistors on the mainboard (some mainboards may have a blue nipple hanging off them though).
Old 17th January, 2002, 11:11 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
Whilst not being the most accurate of sensors (on board type) as you all know from everything that you read, since the chassis probe is an environmental sensor rather than a contact sensor - it doesn't have to touch anything - on most mainboards it is undistinguishable from the other SMT resistors on the mainboard (some mainboards may have a blue nipple hanging off them though).
I thought that the VT8233 could monitor three temperatures? One of which is typically the CPU sensor, one of which is the "ambient" sensor, and one of which was the onboard sensor on the VT8233?

Could it be possible that MBM5/Sandra are confusing the ambient and VT8233 sensors?

AidanII
Old 17th January, 2002, 11:18 AM
EPoX Tech

Quite possibly (or setup incorrectly).

With regard to the actual sensor though - it is very in-distinct in appearance.
Old 17th January, 2002, 01:44 PM
EPoX Tech

Top left hand corner of the 8KHA+ board - marked RT2 - little blue nipple.
Old 17th January, 2002, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
(or setup incorrectly).
Nail - head - BANG!

I was screwing around with MBM5 while running Sandra's burn in wizard, and somehow, some sensor gave me a reading of 127*C. Fortunately, the help file for MBM5 is actually rather useful (RTFM, n00b!). So I got it mostly sorted out. Thanks, though.