AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th January, 2002, 10:40 PM

Question 4SDA Has No Auxiliary Power Connector?

I ordered a 2.2gig northwood for my new office machine and I'm looking for a great overclocking board. I haven't seen any reviews of the 4SDA but I did come across a picture. I noticed it doesn't appear to have the auxiliary power input required by the P4. If this is so what was done to get around that requirement, and will the work around create any overclocking issues? And cut me some slack amd fans - this is for my office and I'm tired of listening to 7000 rpm fans all day.
Old 17th January, 2002, 10:46 PM
EPoX Tech

This is a fantastic mainboard - reviewed at T-Break and Tweaktown at the moment. Overclocking oozes from this board at a price point that is just untrue.
Old 18th January, 2002, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the references. Do you happen to know if this board lets you lock the pci/agp bus like you can with the i850 boards? The sweet spot for overclocking the northwood seems to be in the mid to high 120 fsb range which might be pretty rough on the old hard drive et al. I've got an unlocked cpu at the moment, but the one I bought is obviously not, so fsb overclocking is the only option. Should I buy a much bigger power supply to accommodate everything being pulled from the ATX connector on this mobo?
Old 18th January, 2002, 01:08 AM
Brad

100 - 132 is 1/3
133 - 165 is 1/4
166 - above is 1/5

I am sure on the 132 - 133 thing, not sure on the 165 - 166 thing
Old 18th January, 2002, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
100 - 132 is 1/3
133 - 165 is 1/4
166 - above is 1/5

I am sure on the 132 - 133 thing, not sure on the 165 - 166 thing
Bummer, that pretty well shoots the overclocking possibilities down. It doesn't look like any of the 645 or 845 boards let you fix the speed.
Old 18th January, 2002, 01:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Forgive me for pointing this out Cole, but for the price premium the P4 2.2 comes at, couldn't you have just went with a watercooled AMD machine? Wouldn't that have been a practical solution to eliminate those 7000RPM fans while retaining performance?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2002, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Forgive me for pointing this out Cole, but for the price premium the P4 2.2 comes at, couldn't you have just went with a watercooled AMD machine? Wouldn't that have been a practical solution to eliminate those 7000RPM fans while retaining performance?
Maybe he wanted to try something different! I know i want an intel rig as ive never tried em, for one reason tho - i want to see if it is as crap as everyone says it is
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2002, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pc-Critic

Maybe he wanted to try something different!
Cole has played with P4 systems before . . . .

If it weren't for the God awful price tag I'd throw one together myself . . . .

I'm feeling a yen to go SMP SocketA with the new EPoX board that is coming, but I'd kind of like to wait till the .13 AMDs start popping up . . . . One .18 SocketA CPU is trouble enough to power . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2002, 02:15 AM

the new amd cores, will it be the case of a bios or mobo upgrade to support them?
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Old 18th January, 2002, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, in fact I have a Swiftech water cooled AMD rig, but it was time consuming to assemble and the radiator fans aren't exactly quiet. Going the P4 route is easier and gives me great performance with very little noise. Right now I'm sitting just 3 feet away from my current P4 rig - a 1.7 overclocked to 2.1 with the factory heatsink and one case fan and I can barely hear a thing. The water cooled box also requires a little maintenance and I already lost a chip when the pump quit. I just want something that is reasonably fast, very quiet, and goes together quickly and easily, without any concern about something like a pump failure or a leak.
Old 18th January, 2002, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pc-Critic
the new amd cores, will it be the case of a bios or mobo upgrade to support them?
So far I have not seen or heard anything to suggest that a new board will be required. Frankly it would not be a very logical move for AMD to make it so that it requires a new board. AMD is in the CPU business, not the chipset business(they manufacture chipsets from time to time to push the envelope, but not for profit), not the motherboard business. AMD doesn't plan to utilize the SocketA platform for there flagship CPUs much longer, only about a year more, then Hammer takes over. So it is not too likely that AMD will need to modify the SocketA specs for scalability sake, as long term scalability doesn't appear to be an issue.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2002, 02:34 AM

Thx For the info
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Old 18th January, 2002, 07:39 PM

Quote:
So far I have not seen or heard anything to suggest that a new board will be required. Frankly it would not be a very logical move for AMD to make it so that it requires a new board. AMD is in the CPU business, not the chipset business(they manufacture chipsets from time to time to push the envelope, but not for profit), not the motherboard business. AMD doesn't plan to utilize the SocketA platform for there flagship CPUs much longer, only about a year more, then Hammer takes over. So it is not too likely that AMD will need to modify the SocketA specs for scalability sake, as long term scalability doesn't appear to be an issue.
I read somewhere (memory manufacturers site I think) that the next AMD chips will be sticking with a 266mhz fsb and not going to 333mhz (DDR) as some people though at first.
So we "should" be able to keep our existing boards.

As to if we will want to is another question entirely, there is allways something better out.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 18th January, 2002, 11:59 PM
EPoX Tech

Let's just wait and see what is delivered upon us.