AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th July, 2004, 09:49 PM

Epox 8RDA3 FF Post Code

OK, so my old power supply burned out and took my Abit KX7 mobo w/ it (there were burn marks on the 20pin ATX Power connector). I was hoping everything else was ok and didnt find any burn marks on the CPU or anything else.

I purhashed a Epox 8RDA3 and Antec 350Watt power supply and put everything together. Im using my old AMD 1600+ CPU, 256mb Samsung 2700 ram, geforce2 mx, and audiophile 24/96 sound card.

When I turn the system on, the post code display does NOT cycle through any numbers but displays FF. I can hear my hard drive loading, but no display on my monitor. Im pretty sure i put everything together correctly. Did my CPU or ram get burned out when my old power supply failed?
Old 25th July, 2004, 10:00 PM
EPoX Tech

The answer may lie on the KX7 PCB - check for any damage to any black coloured plastic components (called MOSFET amplifiers which have two or three legs one side and a tab on the other or spiders which are 8 legged little square voltage splitters) - if any of these are popped, it is possible that you may have a bit of an issue on your hands and your cpu or mem got took out.

Have a looksee and smell the board as well that burned plastic smell remains for ever and a day.

On the 8RDA3 side, make sure that the mainboard is not shorting in the chassis (screwed down too tight), make sure the auxiliary 12v connector is attached and ensure that there are no screwdriver marks on the PCB.
Old 26th July, 2004, 12:19 AM

hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I don't see any burned MOSFET amplifiers, but i do recall a burnt smell when my power supply shorted out. However, there is a copper strip running along the side of the KX7 that leads to the silver BIOS battery that has been burned out. Does this tell me anything?
Old 26th July, 2004, 01:14 AM

i tried taking all the components but cpu, heatsink, and ram out. I still get the FF code. I tried taking the ram out and got the same deal. Should there be any physical markings on the ram or CPU to know whether or not they've been burnt?
Old 9th October, 2004, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to xelldran1

I've had the same problem. I got my system up and running after having some ram problems (board wouldn't reconize my ram, but a bios update solved that) then in the middle of surfin the web my screen went blank. And nothing would respond. When I cold restarted the system the motherboard would not go through the usual count it just went straight to FF code. The first board I RMA'd that had this problem the northbridge fan wouldn't work when I booted after the FF code. On the second board I have now the northbridge fan works but I still get FF, no post, and nothing on my monitor. There are no burn marks anywhere or any funny smells. All the other components are fine. Gonna try to RMA this board (guessing I just got two dud boards) but if any one has a clue as to what could cause this problem I would love to know.
Old 23rd January, 2006, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Doc

Try taking your CMOS battery out, leaving the machine sit for a few minutes and try to boot it. I'm having the same problem currently and when I take the battery out the mobo is kind enough to hang at a C1 code instead.

In my case though, I'm pretty sure that the capacitors leaking all over themselves is the issue.