AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th December, 2004, 04:40 PM

Your recommendation on Epox motherboard, Epox rep input requested

Gents,

After reading many posts and several bios flashes (using the flags that were recommended).

In specific using the 11/30/04 bios release for the 8KDA3+ with
AWDFLASH [biosflash].bin /py /wb /cc /cd /cp

I noticed that the system is faster, the slight to annoying lag is gone, and startup is also faster. Memory autiomatically comes up with 200, using Corsair 3200 XMS.

But the random restarts and BSODs remain (although fewer). I think that I have done everything I can to test the system. Re-read that, everything I can, not what experts can do. I am no expert. Changed memory, vid card, not the processor, no overclocking ever.

I am thinking of RMAing the board. I just want something comparable, but stable. I have been pleased with this board (when it works). I would not mind staying with Epox, but I think I want something different than the 8KDA3+, unless there is something you all can tell me.

In the arena of revisions, do you know if there was an update to the board (not bios)? How, where, can I find out all this?

In your opinion would the EP-8HDA3+ be a decent lateral alternative? This is the one that uses the VIA chipset.

Or would you suggest I go to another manufacturer (last option to me)?

Regards,

Liver.
Old 27th December, 2004, 07:36 PM

What kind of PSU are you using..... A weak one will cause the problems you describe. Also, you cant go by either the total wattage or individual rail amperes listed on the sticker; you need to select a PSU wisely or you'll be trying out a lot of mainboards.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th December, 2004, 08:19 PM

What board revision? All fans does work (specially psu)?
Old 27th December, 2004, 11:54 PM

All I know is that I am using revision 1.x. I believe I bought the board soon after it came out from newegg. I can only assume that it is one of the earlier revisions (or the only one).

I actually have tried 2 different power supplies, with the same issues. The first one was the Antec power supply that is included in the Sonata. I believe that it is a 380watt supply, and it is made by Antec. The second one is a Seasonic SuperTornado 300 or 350 watts. Same issues with either one.

I downloaded the motherboard utility program and it indicated that chip temperature is hovering between 28 and 32 celcius. Air cooled, no overclock.

Then I had another BSOD, and decided to re install windows XP. I had another 2 BSODs on installation. That is when I decided to quit.

I am using my HTPC now. This computer has never had a BSOD, and this is the computer that I harvested parts from to test my main system.

I hope that it is not 2 problems (however unlikely) that are interacting. But now, my suspicion is the motherboard. Actually I believe it is the culprit beyond suspicion.

Some time later.

This is no bash on Epox, but I decided to go with another brand of motherboard. Reason, I work 6 to 7 days a week (10-14 hours at a time). I have this week off, a week off in many many months. I was looking forward to finally playing Doom3 (I pre ordered it), and Battle for Middle Earth.

I called Epox support and they are swamped and off for the holiday season (as they should be). I called newegg (a wonderful company) and they are overnighting a replacement motherboard to me, and they are going to give me credit for the Epox board. They are giving me credit for it over 10 months later. Amazing customer service.

Please consider my questions answered, and if you have any suggestions I will check this thread.

Liver
Old 28th December, 2004, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I called newegg (a wonderful company) and
I buy everything computer related from NewEgg, and never had problems with their RMA process (and I've used it quite often)...But, they never shipped me a replacement unless they had the defective one back into their firm grasp....You are truely lucky.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th December, 2004, 04:38 AM

I believe I have luck in the form of a Mastercard they have on file.

Regardless their customer support is awesome. Maybe it is not awesome, maybe it is the way it should be, and every other place sucks. Either way, they get my money.

Liver