AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2005, 11:17 AM

Angry Can't get rid of nvidia sw ide drivers?!

I've recently built a new computer with an Epox 8kda3j motherboard and during the installation of the drivers I opted to install the nvidia sw ide drivers. Now my Pioneer 108 burner refuses to work. It's on its own cable, set as master; the computer recognizes it, but it won't read disks. After putting in a disk and clicking on the drive, it tells me to insert a disk. It seems like uninstalling the sw ide drivers is the thing to do, but when I rollback to the microsoft ide drivers upon reboot I get a blue screen. Any ideas that I can do here? Thanks!
Old 11th January, 2005, 11:51 AM

echo y | format c:\ /u

or, try nForce Reset:

http://www.mwarhead.com/
Old 11th January, 2005, 11:52 AM

Oh, and if the DVD burner has a "Single" jumper position, you might want to try that.

Did you install the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard? If so, you want to uninstall them good and proper, and download the new ones from www.nvidia.com.

nForce Reset is a bit fiddly. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I did a little too much "cleaning" (along with Driver Cleaner and RegSupreme) and achieved the same effect as you.

I then proceeded to fix it using the recovery console and a parallel install. Don't remember exactly how, but it took about 8 hours worth of experimenting.

So follow his instructions.
Old 11th January, 2005, 12:07 PM

How would I go about "echo y | format c:\ /u"
-Sorry I'm kind of new at this...
Old 11th January, 2005, 01:40 PM

it is a DOS command...

Open MS-DOS prompt from Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (as is on WINXP) and run it from that...

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2005, 01:54 PM

Lightbulb

Driver Cleaner :

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

has always helped me to get rid of any unwanted drivers and similar stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2005, 03:57 PM

Drive cleaner seems to have worked, no more nvidia ide drivers, great! On the downside though my Pioneer drive still isn't responding to the disks I've inserted and worse, I can't connect to the internet (maybe I deleted the nvidia ethernet driver too, would that cause it?) One step ahead and two backwards!
Old 11th January, 2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8anp
Drive cleaner seems to have worked, no more nvidia ide drivers, great! On the downside though my Pioneer drive still isn't responding to the disks I've inserted and worse, I can't connect to the internet (maybe I deleted the nvidia ethernet driver too, would that cause it?) One step ahead and two backwards!
Please check the current IDE drivers in your device manager (should be default Windows' ones by now) - try reinstalling them.
As to the ethernet - as far as I know Driver Cleaner deletes everything connected with nVidia nForce drivers, so u should install them once again (well. at least the ethernet ones); but this time without IDE SW.

good luck!
Old 11th January, 2005, 05:04 PM

Checked the ide drivers for the hard disks and dvd burner, all of them are now Microsoft. I need to reinstall the epox/nvidia drivers to get the ethernet back up and running but in order to do that I need to get them off of the installation cd, but since the Pioneer drive isn't reading disks, I can't access it now. Yikes, I'm stuck! Off to work, I'll be back in a few hours and let you know if I manage to fix anything. Thanks for the help!
ATI AIW 9800 Pro
Hitachi Deskstar 160GB
Samsung 120 GB SATA
Old 12th January, 2005, 06:00 AM

Did you check the jumpers on the DVD drive? It should be "Single" or "Master without slave".

You can manually install just the ethernet drivers by right clicking on "Unknown Ethernet Controller" in Device Manager, clicking "Update Driver", and manually browsing for NVNET.INF on the CD. (from the 2K/XP directory).

Then, you can connect to the internet and download the latest drivers. Very important thing to do, that.