AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th March, 2005, 06:49 AM

PCI slot failure.

Another daft "prehistoric motherboard" question.

I've an old Epox 8KTA+ which I installed a Soundblaster Live and a couple of D-Link Network cards into (Silly idea of having a functional internet browsing PC for my girlfriend which would also work as a hardware firewall for me)
Though I know the Sound card was functional ONCE, and that the motherboard was functional once, I must confess I didnt notice that the Soundcard was missing until I was checking the Network cards while setting them up.
Both the Network card appeared in Device manager, but oddly enough....no Sounblaster...indeed as far as WinXp is concerned there are no audio devices AT ALL.
SiSoft Sandra also doesnt see it as present, or its slot as used, and this is true of any slot I put it in.

As this was a build from scratch (CPU onto mainboard, mainboard and RAM into case, cards into slots etc) I was open to the idea that maybe some damage may have occured to the soundcard itself - or worse - to the motherboard. However, the soundcard is recognised in another old motherboard as being present in device manager and Sisoft Sandra (though I havent actually tried it for sound yet)
Likewise, I tested one of the slots that the soundcard had previously been invisible in with a Network card, this seems to be recognised by the system no problem. (though once again if IT actually works I dont know, WinXP and Sanrda both see it and say its fine)

I've got a BIOS code display adaptor that slips into a PCI slot and it never gets past Code 26 on this board, It ought to display FF to say "All is well" However...even though the BOIS appears to lock at code 26...the PC boots into Windows.

Odd.

Any thoughts? Busted card? Busted motherboard? Busted BOTH?
Anybody know a good technique for further fault finding and isolation that doesnt potentially put any more PCI cards or motherboards at risk?

As far as I know nothing catastrophically failed, no sparks, smoke or loud bangs, just an absence of sound card.
Old 10th March, 2005, 03:51 PM
AOA Staff

sounds like the blaster died, can U check it in another machine?
Old 11th March, 2005, 12:02 PM

I've got a couple of old mobo's kicking around and have popped in the Blaster into one..popped in a CPU, some RAM and quickly formatted/Installed a small drive with WinXP.
The Blaster is "Seen" by this board at least...both OS "device manager" and Sisoft Sandra recognise the presence of the Blaster...like I said, I havent actually plugged it in to any speakers or loaded any drivers....the fault finding process goes on.
I sincerly HOPE at least that it IS just a dead blaster as I can find another sound card cheap just about any place, however, I quite like the 8KTA+, we've been through a lot together and I figure finding another will be pretty hard. Indeed finding ANY other Motherboard of this vintage is likely to be a hit and miss affair on ebay.
Old 11th March, 2005, 03:39 PM
AOA Staff

dood! KT133 suked, even more so now!, why would you want another one...
Old 12th March, 2005, 02:53 AM

I know I know....its just an old machine I've had for ages...and we've been through some good times and some bad (sob story LOL) Like I said I had planned a hardware firewall role for its semi retirement...but if the PCI bus is screwed then I either need another MoBo compatible with the bits that would otherwise be spare...or selling the (still capable) CPU etc on ebay for less than the postage cost.