AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th February, 2002, 03:58 PM

Exclamation 8KHA+ and Radeon 8500. Please Help.

My Radeon exhibits horizontal lines, flickering, screen glitches and some times wavy textures. This is independent of the resolution/refresh/OS and only happens on the Epox board (tried on other boards and no problems).
I also get random lockups when playing D3D/OpenGL games and apps.
I searched some forums and found many users with the same problem.
I have my monitor connected to the VGA port (not the DVI) and I'm running all the latest drivers.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thx in advance
Old 26th February, 2002, 05:19 PM

hmm my 8500LE runs fine.

My Bios settings

AGP aperture:64meg
AGP speed:2x (stabler than 4x)
Fastwrites:disabled
other AGP settings disabled.

Have you updated the Via 4in 1's?

When you installed was it a clean format? If it wasnt did you absolutely clear your windows/system & windows/inf directories and registry of all prior VGA card driver files/settings?

Did you then reinstall DX8.1 and then install the drivers?
Old 26th February, 2002, 05:39 PM

well...

If I underclock my Radeon to LE speeds it won't crash but I still get the horizontal lines/flicker and screen glitches (green dots in 2d) but in other boards it works fine at 275/275. I have the latest 4in1's and the latest AGP driver.
The windows was a clean install and I haven't installed the Dx8.1 because I'm using Windows XP.
Old 26th February, 2002, 05:47 PM

oh well I'm stumped then. Have you tried www.rage3d.com? It's the best 8500 forum. Apart from the flamers.
Old 26th February, 2002, 05:51 PM

Of course

I've been there and if you look to the posts about crashes you'll notice that 90% of the people there have the 8KHA+. This is a problem that is also known by ATI.
Old 26th February, 2002, 05:59 PM

OK, sorry I couldnt help.
Old 11th March, 2002, 03:13 AM

I ahve exactly the same problem ;_(
Old 11th March, 2002, 05:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Try manually setting the AGP driving control to "FF" in the BIOS setup . . .

It is under tha AGP section of advanced chipset options . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2002, 08:35 AM

been there, done that. doesn't work. I believe the epox board isn't supplying enough current to the AGP slot or something....
Old 11th March, 2002, 09:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Well what's your AGP I/O voltage? It should be 1.5V . . . .

As far as the current being supplied to the card. That power seems to come straight off the PSU's low voltage rail(the voltage regulation on my GF2MX is getting input voltage identicle to the PSU's 3.3V line). So whatever you get for 3.3V on your PSU is what the card is getting to power the GPU. Is your PSU up to snuff? What is your 3.3V reading? . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2002, 09:25 AM

3.3V reading = 3.34V
VAGP reading = 1.53V

Measured in both Windows (using epox hardware monitor software) and BIOS.

BTW: It works fine with my GF2MX and my radeon works fine with my asus A7V133. It's just the EPOX/Radeon combo that doesn't work
Old 11th March, 2002, 01:54 PM

Well the new BIOS still doesn't solve my problem....
Old 11th March, 2002, 03:42 PM

Question

You are butting against a rubber stump with this defective vid card.
RMA the card and get a new one.
Chances are the replacement will be an excellent card with no problems.

When you are having problems like this, it is clearly a bad card, so you should have RMA'ed this card within the first week after purchasing it.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 11th March, 2002, 03:47 PM

It's not a videocard issue here! It works fine with other boards except the EPOX. I allready exchanged it once for a new one and got the same results, and I'm not the only one with this issues.
Old 11th March, 2002, 05:27 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

my 8500 was fine with my 8KHA+ its really odd that some people are having these problems yet others arent

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 12th March, 2002, 09:41 AM

it doesn't really matter the voltage.......u said u tried the vid card on different boards. I bet all the boards were connected to a decent PSU. Try to convince some1 to give you a powerful and quality guaranted PSU. A few years ago when I had a GeForce SDR/ Epox KX133 combo my computer would reset immediately after entering any 3D game. I searched for days an answer until I found out it was my PSU. I changed it and it was all ok. The voltage was reported corectly also . It can be the 8KHA if it's a different revision from those that got the combo working. On the other hand. Had you ever tried flashing your vid card. Was everything ok? what about the 8kha? I never believe in his card works and mine doesn't if the card is not broken. It must work.
Old 12th March, 2002, 10:49 AM

That's not correct. I tried other PSU's with the EPOX ( the same ones I used to power other boards that work fine with the Radeon) and even tried to power my hard drives/cdroms with one PSU and the board with my 400W PSU. It just does not work with the EPOX
Old 12th March, 2002, 07:36 PM

Question

I read a post on another forum, this was concerning the infinate loop problem. This person connected all his fans to the PS. even the fan on the vid card was connected to the PS.

This resolved the looping problem for him. He concluded the power was insuficient to the vid card to perform under certain conditions. Even the voltgage readings were at or above the specs.

By placing all the fans to the PS, this allowed more power to go to the vid card.

I do not have any problems with the mobo or the vid card. So I don't understand the problems some users are having. The 8500 (the good one) has perfromed great from the minute I installed it.

I also have all fans except the hs/fan and the vid card fan attached to the PS.

I do this due to the possibility of overloading the voltgage regulater on the mobo.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS