AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st March, 2002, 09:47 AM

Something troubling about Geforce 4 ti4600 + Epox 8kha+

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=342807

According to this poster, the new geforce 4 ti4600 has problems fitting in the 8kha+ due to a capacitor on the geforce 4 board bending! I ordered the same card as him and have an 8kha+, can anyone else verify his findings, perhaps Epox Tech? This really sucks if this is true
Old 2nd March, 2002, 04:46 AM

Epox Tech, care to answer if this is true or not? A lot of 8kha+ owners including myself are very concerned about this. According to a poster on this forum he wrote Visiontek an email and they claim Epox strayed from AGP 2.0 design specifications for the 8kha+. If this does turn out to be true (and I hope it doesn't) then hopefully epox will put a recall on these boards and issue us new revised ones. I'd hate to be denied full use of a new gfx card because a motherboard was not built to specification. Again, I hope this certainly is not the fault of Epox, but I'd like to hear what you have to say about this.

Edit: Here is a photo from hardocp illustrating the problem
Photo

Edit 2: The picture caption reads 8kha but hardocp claims it is an 8kha+ issue.

Last edited by 5150Joker; 2nd March, 2002 at 04:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2002, 05:04 AM

Thats not good is it.

Moving the capacitor on the board to the other side wouldnt be too hard but its hardly a ideal solution.

I doubt epox will be able to do anything about this.
A new board revision would be pointless as there probably not going to be making 8kha+ for much longer.

Maybee there will be another geforce4 card that will fit.

EDIT---put a 3 where there should have been a 4

Best of luck in the future all my friends.

Last edited by Holst; 2nd March, 2002 at 05:18 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2002, 05:09 AM

The problem is with the geforce 4, not the geforce 3. If this turns out to be an issue with the 8kha+ and not the geforce cards, I'll try to get fry's to take this board back. What would be a good alternative? I was thinking about the nforce based boards by asus.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 05:17 AM

Ive just been reading through thr [H] thread.

It seems somebody thinks this will be a problem on the MSI kt266A board as well.

I think this is a visiontech problem not an epox one.

The reference geforce4 does fit the board according to this
http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/geforce4/gf4.htm

So there is a reasonable chance that other manufacturers cards will fit.

Or that visiontech can RMA the card and supply one with smaller capacitors.

One thing is for sure...somebody has made a stupid mistake by not measuring those caps properly.

Old 2nd March, 2002, 05:24 AM

Yep it seems like the nvidia ref. board fits but only because the capacitor is thinner with more play to allow it to bend. It seems the asus board also follows the same reference design as the visiontek. I hope someone comes out with a fix because I'd hate to return my 8kha+, it's been a kickass board. If it is a visiontek problem (which i'm hoping) then I'll just cancel my order and see what the other manufacturers that aren't following reference design have available.

Here's some additional pictures illustrating the damagaed capacitor by someone that has the visiontek ti4600 and an 8kha+:

Images

Last edited by 5150Joker; 2nd March, 2002 at 05:26 AM.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 07:13 AM

You could use this as an opportunity to move up to the 8K3A.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 07:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by 5150Joker
According to a poster on this forum he wrote Visiontek an email and they claim Epox strayed from AGP 2.0 design specifications for the 8kha+.
I'd say that too if I was Visiontek.

In the mean time, I will go download the AGP 2.0 specifications and find out for myself.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd March, 2002, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I'd say that too if I was Visiontek. In the mean time, I will go download the AGP 2.0 specifications and find out for myself.

No need go to www.hardocp.com and have a look. He posted the specifications there.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 07:55 AM

Quote:
You could use this as an opportunity to move up to the 8K3A.
If the 8k3a doesn't have this issue and is available I will.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 07:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I don't care what some guy at [H] says, I'm downloading the specifications for myself, and urge others to do the same.

Too much heresay and speculation out there IMHO.

ftp://download.intel.com/technology/...oads/agp20.pdf

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd March, 2002, 08:12 AM

deleted..wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Last edited by 5150Joker; 2nd March, 2002 at 08:26 AM.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 12:13 PM

Well I'm getting my Geforce 4 ti 4600 this week or the next so I'll be able to verify this for you.
---------------------------
Old 2nd March, 2002, 08:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to evilernie

Quote:

If the 8k3a doesn't have this issue and is available I will.
the 8K3A looks like the same problem.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 11:35 PM

Yup... it looks like the capacitors near the dimm slots would interfear with the gf4 ti4600. Damn.. I am looking forward to this board...
Old 2nd March, 2002, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyral
Yup... it looks like the capacitors near the dimm slots would interfear with the gf4 ti4600. Damn.. I am looking forward to this board...
Looking at various boards allot look like they "night" have this problem.

Id expect that geforce4 manufacturers will swap to samaller capacitors on newer cards...its not like its a major change.

Old 3rd March, 2002, 12:08 AM

Holst is right I saw the same potential problem with Iwill and Abit boards although the capacitors on those boards seem smaller (in height) than the epox board. I'm going to see if i can fit my ti4600 on the board w/out putting the back end w/the capacitor in all the way..hopefully it should still work.
Old 3rd March, 2002, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Holst is right I saw the same potential problem with Iwill and Abit boards although the capacitors on those boards seem smaller (in height) than the epox board. I'm going to see if i can fit my ti4600 on the board w/out putting the back end w/the capacitor in all the way..hopefully it should still work.
You can probably take the green capacitor off the board and move it to the back side out of the way without too much difficulty.
Obviously vioding your warranty.

Running the card slightly out of its slot sounds like a recipie for unreliability to me.

Once you get your card phone the manufacturer or email and see what they have to say for themselves.

Old 3rd March, 2002, 02:38 AM

Yeah i'll call visiontek and see what they will do about it. Getting the card on tuesday so we'll see how it goes. I doubt I'd try to mod the board, too much trouble and I don't trust myself enough to rip out a capacitor and rewiring it. If it boils down to that and visiontek tells me to get lost then I'll just replace the motherboard I guess. Been taking a look at the asus a7n266-E board and it looks pretty decent (and has no capacitors in the way).
Old 4th March, 2002, 07:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

There are two different sizes of capacitors on the 8KHA+. Some seam to be approx. 15mm while others are 20mm. If your board has the 20mm ones, you may have trouble. I am the one who posted the picture of the MSI K7T266 Pro 2. It also has 20mm capacitors in the same place the 8KHA+ does.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit