AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd March, 2002, 02:34 AM

Question erratic Vcore changes at high bus speeds

my setting when the problem occures at 178fsb x8.5 Vcore @1.85, Vdimm @3.2 using the 2116 bios.

when i up the fsb by one or two, i freeze either during post or if it continues into windows, the system freezes a few minutes later. so i cold boot and go into the bios. i noticed that that the Core voltage changed to 1.150v and i can't change the value anymore. i have to set the fsb to 133 and reboot in order to get back the 1.85v setting.

can anyone explain the erratic core voltage change over 178fsb?

please see my sig for the rig specs.

r0l0e

Shuttle SB61G2 | PIV 2.8C @ 3.5GHz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2002, 02:59 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

well, enermax PSU's and EPoX dont get on too well ive heard, so it may be that, my sparkle 400 watt one has no problems like that that ive ever noticed.....

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2002, 03:17 AM

Re: erratic Vcore changes at high bus speeds

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e
my setting when the problem occures at 178fsb x8.5 Vcore @1.85, Vdimm @3.2 using the 2116 bios.

when i up the fsb by one or two, i freeze either during post or if it continues into windows, the system freezes a few minutes later. so i cold boot and go into the bios. i noticed that that the Core voltage changed to 1.150v and i can't change the value anymore. i have to set the fsb to 133 and reboot in order to get back the 1.85v setting.

can anyone explain the erratic core voltage change over 178fsb?

please see my sig for the rig specs.

r0l0e
I think thats just a result of your memory being clocked so high.

178 is very good for crucial..mine gets funny at 171.

ive had a similar thing with voltages reported incorectly when the memory is unstable I dont think there is anything you can do about it.

Im using a sparkle 400watt.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 03:18 AM

i've used a DAX 300w that was on my KK266-RAID rig and it unfortunately produced the same same results.

i'll try to get hold of an HEC 300w PSU and see what happens. sad to say that Spakle and Antec aren't available in my neck o'the woods.

anyway i was just wondering if anyone here has ever experienced that situation.

thanks
r0l0e

edit: thanks Holst, so do you think it would be a good idea to go get a couple of Kingmax PC2700 modules to remody this limitation?

Last edited by r0l0e; 2nd March, 2002 at 03:22 AM.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 03:50 AM

Im a bit dubious about buying PC-2700 myself.

Some of it seems to be very good but allot of it seems no better than my crucial.

Im putting off buying faster memory untill I can be 99% sure that it will overclock well.

Most PC-2700 gets to 170-180fsb but thats not much better than where I am at the moment.

I have seen a few people getting to 200...but very few.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 06:45 AM
Poseidonf4

jesus! 178 fsb? thats insane! what are you getting outta your processor?
Old 2nd March, 2002, 08:22 AM

makes alot of sense Holst. 180 ain't too far from 178 and for sure i don't have the money to burn especially with the ddr prices at the present. so it would not be a good move on my part untill i know that there are more than a handfull of people that can run a certain mem. module to 200sfb 1:1.

Quote:
Originally posted by Poseidonf4
jesus! 178 fsb? thats insane! what are you getting outta your processor?
Poseidonf4, it wasn't luck that i could run the 1GHz AYHJA over 1.5GHz. Same as the PC2100 Crucial DDR. ALL the AYHJA stepping chips are very excellent overclocker. i went with the 1GHz cause with a little reading and common sense, i knew that any of the AYHJA stepping processors could oc between 1.55GHz to 1.7GHz and i don't think i can feel a 150mhz difference at where i'm at now . but you can with bus speed overclocking .

thanks for the info guys,
r0l0e

Last edited by r0l0e; 2nd March, 2002 at 08:28 AM.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 08:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

My Crucial PC2100 CAS2.5 does 169MHz with all the timings set to "balls to the wall" at 3.2V.

I don't plan to upgrade until Crucial starts making JEDEC standard PC2700 in quarter three.

All the "PC2700" available now is pretested/bin-sorted JEDEC standard PC2100, except for the Kingmax PC2700 which deviates from the JEDEC standard with the BGA memory chip packaging. Unfortunetly the Kingmax stuff doesn't seem to like voltage, so getting more that ~170MHz out of it is tough. Crucial/Micron and some other memory manufacturers are pushing to make the BGA packaging the JEDEC standard, but apparently there is some opposition from other memory manufacturers.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd March, 2002, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
...Kingmax PC2700 which deviates from the JEDEC standard with the BGA memory chip packaging. Unfortunetly the Kingmax stuff doesn't seem to like voltage, so getting more that ~170MHz out of it is tough. Crucial/Micron and some other memory manufacturers are pushing to make the BGA packaging the JEDEC standard, but apparently there is some opposition from other memory manufacturers.
thanks for the insights dimm. please correct if i'm wrong. since the Kingmax is BGA packaged, then is it safe to say that all BGA packaged modules don't like high voltages? and if crucial/micron get their way with making BGA packaging the JEDEC standard, then it would limit our fun? am i correct?

if crucial/micron start making the BGA packages, what happens to enthusiasts like us? they're already making it harder to oc with the AXP, and it'll be harder with the Hammer's heat spreader, unless it's unlocked from the factory.

makes me wanna stock up on hand picked crucials.

Old 2nd March, 2002, 12:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by r0l0e
since the Kingmax is BGA packaged, then is it safe to say that all BGA packaged modules don't like high voltages? and if crucial/micron get their way with making BGA packaging the JEDEC standard, then it would limit our fun? am i correct?
My understanding is that the overclocking limitations of the Kingmax are due to the silicon itself rather than the packaging. It may be that the Kingmax memory chips are made on a smaller process that "freaks out" when subjected to increased voltages, but I have no way of knowing that for sure.

Overall, BGA is supposed to be better. It is supposedly less "noisey", which is why the GeForce 4 cards use BGA DDR memories.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd March, 2002, 12:22 PM

then if BGA is supposed to be better, i'm all for it. as long as it dudn't hit the checkbook too hard

anyway kewl! more healthy info for the old noggin. thanks for your time Dimm and the rest of ya'll, sorry to veer you off to a totally different subject. i think the conversation with youz guyz was well worth it.

regards,
r0l0e