AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th March, 2002, 08:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sealworx

I think I have a voltage problem. Please help

Hi! I recently bought a GlobalWin TAK68 to replace the WBK38 in my system. Although I am happy with my the performance of my new heatsink, I noticed that I am getting random problems while booting. It seems that the light on my CD-Writer and my harddisk would light up for something like 10 seconds before my PC initializes (thats 10 seconds before the video BIOS information shows up on the top left portion of the screen). Since it has not happened before I replaced my heatsink I'm trying to figure out the culprit for this problem.

Before I changed heatsinks, I'm running my system on 10 x 133 @ 1.725v. I was doing some overclocking while undervolted and for the past few weeks (prior to installing my TAK68) I never had any problems. Of course that changed after installing the TAK68. Since the TAK68 has 2 fans in it, I immediately suspected my voltages to be culprit and raised my voltages to the Athlon's default voltages (1.75). Somehow things went back to normal but I still have random slow-downs, maybe once every week. I'm already thinking about raising my voltages to 1.775 but I'm really concerned bout how my PC would heat up at those voltages (please note that I am living in a very hot city).

Can anyone give me some answers? Would raising my voltages really help or is there another problem that I'm not seeing? Any thought on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks! -- seal
Inno3d GF3 Ti200
HEC 450w PSU
Nanya 2100 128 Mb
Lian Li PC-12 (modded)
Lian Li RH47 HDD Mobile Rack
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Lite-On 16x10x40x CD-Writer
A4 Tech WOP-35 Optical Mouse
Super Dual Box gamepad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2002, 08:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Have you tried opening up your Enermax and tweaking the voltage a bit? I've heard of a couple of other folks having similar problems with there Enermax PSU, and that the problem was solved by adjusting the trimmer pot for more voltage on the 5V rail.

As far as "random slow-downs" you are rebooting your PC from time to time, no? Windows does have a tendancy to slow down after a while if you don't, or so I've noticed.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2002, 08:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sealworx

Well I've thought about that but I'm really not into that yet. Frying your PC is one thing, frying yourself is another. Can you show me a link on how I can do that? Who knows, this problem with my voltages maybe a good time to start tweaking my PSU.

About windows being a culprit, I doubt that its my OS thats giving me problems. The slow-down of my PC happens before POST. Its basically a 10 sec delay before the video BIOS info shows up. During that time the CDWriter and HDD led lights up.

Thanks for the reply tho.
Inno3d GF3 Ti200
HEC 450w PSU
Nanya 2100 128 Mb
Lian Li PC-12 (modded)
Lian Li RH47 HDD Mobile Rack
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Lite-On 16x10x40x CD-Writer
A4 Tech WOP-35 Optical Mouse
Super Dual Box gamepad
Old 6th March, 2002, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sealworx
About windows being a culprit, I doubt that its my OS thats giving me problems. The slow-down of my PC happens before POST. Its basically a 10 sec delay before the video BIOS info shows up. During that time the CDWriter and HDD led lights up.
OIC, I thought you were talking about a different problem when you said "but I still have random slow-downs, maybe once every week" . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 6th March, 2002, 10:44 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

8KHA+ is known for some rebooting issues. Its no big problem, just hit your reset switch and away you go.

opening a PSU is perfectly safe so long as you have unplugged the thing, and let the capacitors discharge for 10 mins or so!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 6th March, 2002, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
opening a PSU is perfectly safe so long as you have unplugged the thing, and let the capacitors discharge for 10 mins or so!
I recomend first unplugging the PSU, and then grounding out the ATX cables green wire(pin 14). This fires up the PSU momentarily and uses the PSU fan to discharge the caps. Then I let it sit a few minutes just to be safe.

However, to adjust the trimmer pots, you will actually have to run the PSU while testing the loaded power leads with a multimeter and turning a trimmer pot with a screw driver. This is not the safest procedure, but there is no other way to do it properly I'm afraid.

AOA Team fah