AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th March, 2002, 06:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to lqqkout13

Any end in sight to the 8KHA+/Radeon 8500 problems?

I'm having most of the same problems described in this thread

I get lockups during most 3D intensive tasks (3DMark2001, Max Payne, etc.) with a looping sound playing wherever I got stuck.

Any way to get rid of these lockups? I have tried just about everything described in the link above (all AGP apature sizes, drivers, newest BIOS, etc)

Last edited by Daniel ~; 16th April, 2002 at 09:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st March, 2002, 06:17 PM

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems. The only way I've been able to resolve it is by downclocking the gpu. A solution I'm not terribly happy about. Nevertheless I'm getting 3d2k1se scores of 7900 and everything seems stable. I'd truly appreciate any solution to this problem.
win xp
radeon 8500 (unstable/unstable)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2002, 12:24 AM
Daedalus

Same here

Same problem for me. Occasional lockups in games with looping sound. Sometimes the system resets itself, other times I manually reset the system. The error always encountered upon bootup of WinXP after restarting is the infamous 'infinite loop' error.
I have posted here

Recently I tried an AGP Driving Value of 'DA', but the system crashed with the infinite loop error (which you seem to be describing) on the first run of 3DMark2k1 . That's the earliest that has ever happened in that benchmark ( I'm always able to get through the first run), so I returned the AGP Driving Control to 'Auto' pending further investigation.
I'm thoroughly annoyed right now, and if I don't get a satisfactory answer in the very near future, I strongly doubt I will go the AMD/Via/EPoX route again.
Yes, I've had it. No response from EPoX tech support for 1.5 weeks. Via doesn't even have a support email address (looked all over) on their site. It's been 6 months. Troubleshooting has been exhausted - what else is there to do?
Old 1st April, 2002, 02:20 AM

Hey, this is exactly the same problem with my 8KHA+ and my brand spaking new 8500. However, after mine locks up and reboots, XP comes back telling me that it's a problem with my driver. I've tried four drivers, all with the same results.

My question is, if I were to roll back to Windows 98 SE, would I still get this problem?
Old 1st April, 2002, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpkpo
I'm experiencing exactly the same problems. The only way I've been able to resolve it is by downclocking the gpu. A solution I'm not terribly happy about. Nevertheless I'm getting 3d2k1se scores of 7900 and everything seems stable. I'd truly appreciate any solution to this problem.
I just underclocked mine to 250/275, and it gets me through the 3DMark 2K1 benchies just fine. I'm also getting about 7900. Yeah, it bites having a card underclocked, but at least it's stable as a temporary fix.

Please, Epox Tech! We beseech you! Help us in our dire times!
Old 1st April, 2002, 02:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Have you guys tried hacking the card's onboard switching supply for more GPU voltage? It's a long shot, but if it fails at least you will have one hell of an overclockable Radeon on your hands.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 1st April, 2002, 06:02 AM

How do you underclock the 8500?

I think I would be happy with that as a temporary solution, but I didn't spend all that money just to have the card perform below what it is intended to. I really hope Epox & ATI can find a solution to this because many people are pretty upset about these problems.
Old 1st April, 2002, 11:57 AM

You may use a number of different programs to underclock your radeon. I use powerstrip. I'm sure you'll figure out how to do it when you get the program..
win xp
radeon 8500 (unstable/unstable)
Old 1st April, 2002, 01:07 PM

Same problem here: lockups under 3d apllications. And i get horizontal lines too, as reported in this thread
There are so many user experiencing these problems and still not official statements from epox and ati...
IMB 40GB HD
Ati Radeon 8500
DVD 16x
Cd-Writer 16x
Antec 400W PSU
Old 1st April, 2002, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lqqkout13
How do you underclock the 8500?

I think I would be happy with that as a temporary solution, but I didn't spend all that money just to have the card perform below what it is intended to. I really hope Epox & ATI can find a solution to this because many people are pretty upset about these problems.
I downloaded Rage3d from www.guru3d.com. Seems to work pretty well. Underclocked without having to reboot.
Old 1st April, 2002, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ribbell
Same problem here: lockups under 3d apllications. And i get horizontal lines too, as reported in this thread
There are so many user experiencing these problems and still not official statements from epox and ati...
I just posted in the thread you linked to. I also checked the Epox.com knowledge base, and wasn't able to find anything relavent. All it had was lockups while installing the drivers. But my driver installs (all four of them) went flawlessly. And their recommendation was to set it to 2X AGP, install the drivers, and set it back up to 4X AGP. But that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Old 1st April, 2002, 10:21 PM

The firest 8500 I got, had the problems of lockup city.
I took it back the next day.
The second on had all different colors all over the screen, I took it back that coming Sunday.
The third one is the one I still have and it works great.
So my question to you guys is why are you messing arround with all these problems?
Just take the misery back and keep taking them back until you get one that works right.
Then everyone will be happy.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 1st April, 2002, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BobyJo
The second on had all different colors all over the screen, I took it back that coming Sunday.
So my question to you guys is why are you messing arround with all these problems?
Just take the misery back and keep taking them back until you get one that works right.
I almost said the same thing.

I have two friends who run 8500's in there 8kha+ boards and neither has the problems you guys do. They didnt have to do anything special to get them to work.

If you are having problems would you be able to test your radeon in another 8kha+ board ? (say a friends)
If the problem repeats itself then id think about RMAing the card.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd April, 2002, 12:05 AM
AOA Staff

try reinstalling dx 8.1 last thing , sometmes the vid drivers hose it
Old 2nd April, 2002, 12:06 AM

BobyJo the problem is that my radeon works well on the pc of a my friend and his geforce 3 works well on my epox...
Now i know that there are many users that are happy with this combo, but we know there are some users experiencing these problems and if ati and epox will find a solution all we owners of this combo we'll be happy and avoid a big wasting of time trying to find where is the problem.
IMB 40GB HD
Ati Radeon 8500
DVD 16x
Cd-Writer 16x
Antec 400W PSU
Old 2nd April, 2002, 05:42 AM
Daedalus

Of course, not everyone with the Radeon 8500/8KHA+ combo will have the problem. The problem I'm referring to is the system crashing in 3d apps with the 'infinite loop' error. It may be that this error is a catch-all error, a code created by Microsoft.

I'm inclined to think from all the evidence that it is a motherboard (i.e. inadequate design of supplying power to the AGP slot), or chipset (Via, given their past reputation, there is cause for suspicion) issue, or combination thereof.

From all the research I've done, it's very rare to see someone have this error using a P4 and Intel chipset.

The 8500 can work fine for a couple hours in 3d apps (e.g. RTCW, Quake3), then one day it may crash twice in 1 hour. This is the most frustrating issue I have seen or tried to resolve. There are many people who are having the exact same problem with GeForce3 and 8KHA+ (although other boards are mentioned; ASUS, Gigabyte, etc, it seems to me that EPoX has more than its fair share). I will not state the research here, but there is a lot of info out there about the crashes in 3D apps with this combo. Look at amdmb.com or viaareana.com for example. This is why I suspect the motherboard/chipset.

For the people with this combo and no problems, may I inquire how often do you run 3D apps and for what duration? Have you never had a crash in 3D apps at all?

Regards
Old 2nd April, 2002, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Because some of us bought our video cards online, which means paying shipping EVERY TIME we have to replace the card. And that gets expensive quickly.

Surlyjoe, how would one go about reinstalling directX 8.1 in Windows XP? I checked the Windows Update, but didn't see it as an option.
Old 2nd April, 2002, 04:57 PM

Question

If you are having the infinate loop problem. The solution to resolve this has been posted for a long time. Why do you not fix that problem? vVidia has more problems in this area than ATI, so the problem is not driver related. It is a power related problem, you must fix this problem or you will never be able to use a hi-end vid card of any kind. If you purchased the card online, that is the penality you must pay because of that type of dealing. I have purchased a lot of merchadise online.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 2nd April, 2002, 06:38 PM

Quote:
If you are having the infinate loop problem. The solution to resolve this has been posted for a long time. Why do you not fix that problem? vVidia has more problems in this area than ATI, so the problem is not driver related. It is a power related problem, you must fix this problem or you will never be able to use a hi-end vid card of any kind. If you purchased the card online, that is the penality you must pay because of that type of dealing. I have purchased a lot of merchadise online.
Okay, so it's a problem with the voltage. But where exactly, does the problem lie? With the video card, or with the motherboard?
Old 2nd April, 2002, 11:04 PM

Here is what Epox responded to my support email with. To me, it sounds like they aren't recognizing the obvious conflict between the board and the Radeon.

Dear User,

If you are still having stability problems with your systems try the steps below.

1) Update to the latest BIOS from our website if possible and you have not already done so.
2) Load the BIOS defaults (optimized or fail-safe).
3) Shutdown and remove all cards and devices EXCEPT for video, RAM, CPU, CPU heatsink/FAN.
4) Ensure your CPU temperature remains within 30-55 Degrees C. Check in the CMOS or use USDM for this information.
5) Check that your power supply is ok for your particular processor. We generally suggest 300-350W or better.
6) Set all voltage and clock jumpers to the factory default.
7) Retest.

For additional information regarding AMD processors:

Recommended power supplies:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...0_182_869_1039^1053,00.html
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._118_1200_1202^1073^1080,00.html

Recommended CPU heatsink/FANs:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...0_182_869_1039^1050,00.html
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._118_1200_1202^1073^1078,00.html

If the links above appear broken the link may have been split up into two lines in the email. Simple recombine to create the whole link in your browser or visit the main AMD site at www.amd.com and find the pages manually.