AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th October, 2001, 06:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

Lost AGP4x setting in 8KHA bios

hey epox tech

i lost the 4x agp setting in the bios of my 8kha when i installed a kyro II.. whassup with that? afaik, the card supports 4x.

what do the dram driving control settings do in bios? can set them from 0x00 to 0xff.. they're on 0x04 by default. what is optimal?

oh, and can we expect a nice new bios anytime soon? not that the old one is bad or anything, but getting more performance for free is never a bad thing!

ta.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th October, 2001, 07:09 AM
EPoX Tech

Unlike Radeon and GeForce, Kyro II is not truly AGP 4x. Whilst it supports AGP 4x data transfer, it doesn't support the reduced voltage required by the specification.

To be AGP 4x a card needs to have 4x data transfer and 1.5v power.

If a card offers 4x data transfer and is 3.3v it won't be classed as 4x AGP (due to the fact that its 3.3v) by any modern mainboards incorporating the new PFC AGP slots.

We wholeheartedly recommend the GeForce Ti range of cards due to their low current drain at present.
Old 20th October, 2001, 07:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Re: Lost AGP4x setting in 8KHA bios

Quote:
Originally posted by proze
what do the dram driving control settings do in bios? can set them from 0x00 to 0xff.. they're on 0x04 by default. what is optimal?
Ditto! And what about the AGP Drive Strength too?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2001, 07:46 AM
EPoX Tech

Try running some benchies and find out !!!

I personally haven't had time as yet.
Old 20th October, 2001, 08:07 AM

Can't you give me a clue? It sounds like it has something to do with clock strength or something. But WTF do I know?

AOA Team fah
Old 20th October, 2001, 08:41 AM

Well I tried changing 'em.

With them at 04, 06, and 20, I got nearly Identicle memory bandwidth scores. For some reason Sandra Memory Bench does not offer repeatable scores on this machine. I can test the memory bandwidth get one score, close sandra, open sandra, and test again and get another score. But best I can tell the Drive Strength settings don't alter anything that increases/decreases memory bandwidth. Which points me back at the clock strength thing. Maybe these setting could help push the memory higher with less voltage or something. How about it EPoX tech? Can you find more out for us? Or at least can you point me in the right direction?

Few other Quick ones. What's the deal with the Insert key recovery thingy. I can't get it to work. Every time I select options that are a no go, I have to clear the BIOS settings with the jumper and start from scratch. Also, when I try to flash the BIOS with the ALT+F2 thing, the AWARD FLASH UTILITY says "Source File Not Found" even though the source file is most definately on the floppy disk. The keyboard power-on doesn't always work, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. That's no biggie, just an inconvinience. Suggestions on these nit picks?

AOA Team fah
Old 20th October, 2001, 09:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

thanks for the work with driving values, jeff. reckon i can help with the other two questions you had:

-you have to hold insert while the machine is off or while you press reset, and keep it down until you hit your bios screen. that way's always worked for me.

-the kboard power-on thing only works if you've powered down the pc and it's had ac power to the psu the whole time. if the bios "loses control" over the board, for lack of a better explanantion, then it doesn't work anymore.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 20th October, 2001, 07:11 PM

Quote:
-you have to hold insert while the machine is off or while you press reset, and keep it down until you hit your bios screen. that way's always worked for me.
Thanks Paul! Now if only the manual would have worded it in such a way. It pretty much says "press insert key to recover you old settings" with little explaination.

Quote:
-the kboard power-on thing only works if you've powered down the pc and it's had ac power to the psu the whole time. if the bios "loses control" over the board, for lack of a better explanantion, then it doesn't work anymore.
Hmm, thanks, but this doesn't appear to be my problem. Maybe the current PSU doesn't have enough 5v trickle or something. It will start everytime if I drop the FSB down to 133, but anything above 150 cause power on keyboard problems. Hopefully the Sparkle 350 I have en route will clear this up, and help me get to 170ish FSBs.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 20th October, 2001 at 07:13 PM.
Old 20th October, 2001, 07:29 PM

Too me it is suprising that the board will even run with voltages like this. To do it at 156MHz FSB stable as a rock is just a ****ing miracle! Note the negative voltages, they are out of shape bad! That's what I get for hoping an non-AMD-approved PSU would run this thing like it's supposed to. Worst thing is that the 5v rail isn't constant, it bounces all over the place, anywere from 4.79-5.03 depending on the load and how bad the PSU wants to screw with me.

Got to get that Vcore hack done sometime soon, can't get the Morgan over 1.2GHz with what I've got now(even with my watercooling stuff). Got it to post at 1.5GHz with a little dry-ice and alcohol, but it wouldn't run, probably 'cause of the ****y voltages from the PSU.
Attached Thumbnails
Lost AGP4x setting in 8KHA bios-mbm.gif  

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 20th October, 2001 at 07:34 PM.
Old 20th October, 2001, 08:22 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

That's pretty good still. 1.5Ghz with dry ice, eh. But how long does the dry ice last? That Sparkle should kick some butt, but unless you use the dry ice trick again, I wouldn't hold my breath on 1.5Ghz with air cooling. That sounds pretty high. But I don't that much about Morgan o/cing so I'll shut up now

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?