AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th July, 2002, 06:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to thevoman Send a message via AIM to thevoman

Angry HELP! 8k3a + windows setup

Hardware:

8k3a motherboard (Rev. 1.0) w/ latest BIOS
Athlon XP 2200+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+ heatsink/fan
OCZTech PC2700 DDR "Ultimate" Rev.3 512 MB
Antec 400W PSU
Visiontek GeForce4 Ti4200 128 MB.

Problem:

Windows Stop Error in Windows Setup
Occurs at arbitrary times, with various error messages.
Same with Windows 2000
Linux installation fails as well

Attempts to fix:

Swapped every single part off of that motherboard with a part that is known to work properly. Memory, CPU, power, Video card, even the case too. I updated BIOS, ran the failsafe defaults, the optimized defaults, went through almost every setting one at a time, tried the 100/133 Mhz jumper in both positions, tried different memory banks, tried SCSI adapter with SCSI hard drives (to bypass the IDE controller) shuffled and removed all PCI adapters, and even swapped cabling. I tried my Windows 2000 discs, and even my Red Hat and SuSE Linux won't install. Something always goes bad in the middle of it.

Sent the motherboard back to Mark One Computers (markonecomputers.com) and they sent me a new one with a different serial number -- gives me the same problems. =(

DOES ANYONE PERHAPS KNOW WHAT I COULD BE DOING WRONG? Is it possible that Mark One Computers is stocking defect EpoX motherboards?

It seems there are a few posts around the internet with the same types of problems, but nobody seems to have a solution....
Old 25th July, 2002, 03:01 AM

Try increasing your memory voltage to 2.8v.
Old 25th July, 2002, 04:24 AM

What are your voltages reading? Check the 5v line.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th July, 2002, 04:46 AM

Fixed???

Wow, out of about 10 forums i went to for this problem, EpoX USA tech support, and the retailer who sold the board to me, and several of my friends, nobody even thought of messing with the voltage for the RAM...

Now i'm running at 2.8v and everything is smooth so far...

I'm going to do a little burn in tonight and see if things work out in the morning...

Thanks!
Old 25th July, 2002, 04:52 AM

Welcome home
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th July, 2002, 05:17 AM

Oh No!

The computer loads up windows fine and everything works out... but then after awhile it started rebooting by itself. Strange thing is that one of the first things I set in Windows XP was for it NOT to automatically reboot when there was a Windows Stop error (I like to see that I have an error) and yet, the computer just blanked out and reset itself.

I'm not sure now whether I'm just having stability problems or what....
Old 25th July, 2002, 07:11 AM

Re: Oh No!

Quote:
Originally posted by thevoman
The computer loads up windows fine and everything works out... but then after awhile it started rebooting by itself. Strange thing is that one of the first things I set in Windows XP was for it NOT to automatically reboot when there was a Windows Stop error (I like to see that I have an error) and yet, the computer just blanked out and reset itself.

I'm not sure now whether I'm just having stability problems or what....
Do you have any other memory you can try? (besides OCZ)
Have you tried new hard drive cables, are you using proper ATA type for your drive? Are you sure you have teh memory in DIMM slot 1? Do you have shutdown temperature disabled?

These are just off the top of my head. Perhaps others will pitch in soon with more, don't give up yet!

Old 25th July, 2002, 08:35 AM

Run Memtest v3.0 (search the net for it or posts by me - I have put a link on this site before) for an hour or so. If you get any errors then add 0.1V and try again.

At 2.8V I got one teeny weeny error per pass - enough for an occasional crash. At 2.9V I was error free. If I make any FSB or whatever changes I run MemTest for about an hour afterwards.
Abit AX8, AMD 64 3200+ Venice, 2X512MB KingMax PC3200 RAM, Gigabyte ATI X800XL 256MB + Cat 5.11, 2 X T7K250 160GB hard drives in RAID 0 + NEC 3540A, SB Audigy 2ZS, Enermax EG495AX Noisetaker PSU in Antec SLK3000B,
Viewsonic 171B-2 8ms 17" TFT.
Quiet: Chipset has passive heatsink, GPU has silent heat-engine, PSU almost silent. Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu blows over all mobo. Near silent exhaust fan and 2 case inlets.
Windows XP Pro SP2 streamlined.
Old 25th July, 2002, 10:34 AM

memtest

Thanks a lot guys - hey i'm running memtest-86 v3.0 and it's been error free for 3 passes... things look pretty good. Turns out memtest-86 came with a distribution of Linux that i had.

Heat is causing a little instability here and there, only when the case sides are on. So a little dremelwork and fan placement should fix everything...

I've learned a lot, thanks =)
Old 25th July, 2002, 12:19 PM

Re: memtest

Quote:
Originally posted by thevoman
I've learned a lot, thanks =)
No problem. This is a unique forum in that there seems to be more than a few guys who actually know what they are talking about. That's why I read frequently. Welcome.