AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2001, 04:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to killem1x1

Why can't I find a place for AGP/MEM timings...

Why can't I find a place for AGP/MEM BIOS settings that are for high performance? Of all the websites and forums it would seem liek a simple thing. Or maybe I'm missing it, but if someone could post the AGP, and mem settings they are using to get the most from the system I think it would help loads of folks, or again maybe I'm missing the obvious
Old 20th October, 2001, 05:15 PM
EPoX Tech

These settings in their optimal guise vary dependant on the quality of your component - hence the ability to change them.

If I were to post a set of timings, they might crash one machine and be too light for another.

It is hoped that normal equipment can use normal timings, and that high end equipment can make use of the more aggressive timings in the BIOS when used by a seasoned enthusiast.
Old 20th October, 2001, 06:41 PM

It is my hope in visiting here to become a seasoned enthusiast. If I simply had a good understanding of what each setting meant, it would help me quite a bit, ofcourse what would help even more is seeing what other people are running. I would be willing to bet that the people that are "seasoned" are not that different in there settings when going after a particular thing. Let's say you have 5 people from these forums with 8k7a+'s, and GF3Ti500's trying to get the top 3dmark2k1 scores. Would the settings they use not be very close if not identical? I understand there is a proper tech support answer, but isn't there a proper "enthusiast" answer as well.
Hope this doesn't come across wrong, as I thoroughly enjoy your presence, and the speed at which you reply!
BTW I am currently working on my FSB, and 3dmark2k1 seems to be the benchmark that will ensure stability.
In order of the latest BIOS for the 8K7A+ my Advanced settings beginning with aperture size are:
enabled
20H
enabled
4X
enabled
disabled
enabled
manual
Please tell me what you would massage to increase your setup given these settings.
Thanks!!!!
Old 20th October, 2001, 10:19 PM
EPoX Tech

This seems to be the rpoblem with AMD760 chipset in comparisson to KT266/A chipset in the BIOS - the timings are so much more complex.

Basically, the lower each number, the more aggressive the settings, the higher, the easier it is to achieve a higher FSB, but the perfromance goes asa result. It's a matter of tweaking and toying.

Unlike some other forums, people in here don't seem to be hardcore overclockers, but more likeminded souls who get along well together and enjoy each others converse.

I would love to see more FSB pushing in here, I have tried to promote it, but perhaps most people seem to be a little reserved !!!

I'll ask again, any challenges on 165Mhz !!!!????
Old 20th October, 2001, 10:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ouch!
Please fell free to post our url anywhere you like to entice a more worthy set of overclockers into your web of radical settings LOL

One problem is of course the limited number of EPoX users we are starting off with. From what I have read in this topic they should be increasing soon.

As for the time spent in conversation, OH! Never mistake gentleness for weakness, we have among us some of the cutthroat elite of overclocking prowess, I mean you here aren't you LOL

Be patient, we will find our mark and we WILL make overclocking history together!

EPox meets cut throat elite, how can we lose":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2001, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
Tell you what, send me an 8KHA+, and it'll give it all I got!

I dont' think I'll be buying one for about a month. Overspent recently, and have bills coming up. But if I can spare $120 soon, I'll order that board! I wanna give it a go, and my roommates are backing me!
Old 21st October, 2001, 01:25 AM

Quote:
This seems to be the rpoblem with AMD760 chipset in comparisson to KT266/A chipset in the BIOS - the timings are so much more complex.

Basically, the lower each number, the more aggressive the settings, the higher, the easier it is to achieve a higher FSB, but the perfromance goes asa result. It's a matter of tweaking and toying.

Unlike some other forums, people in here don't seem to be hardcore overclockers, but more likeminded souls who get along well together and enjoy each others converse.

I would love to see more FSB pushing in here, I have tried to promote it, but perhaps most people seem to be a little reserved !!!

Well, I'd love to see 165 on my epox, and am in search of it. Thanks for the info on the bios settings.
Old 21st October, 2001, 01:33 AM

Quote:

I've been working on 160MHz, but it's not 100% stable. I have a power problem, and as soon as I have the money i'll buy another/ a better PSU, then I might be able to get above 160MHz...
Asus GeForce2 MX 191/221MHz (Mem/Core)
45 Gig IBM HD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st October, 2001, 02:02 AM

I attempted to "raise" the mem settings in the BIOS, but I wasn't stable at lower FSB settings?!? Is there a laymens guide to these BIOS settings anywhere. I have found Rojak's BIOS guid, I'm just wondering if Epox has anything for the products they produce? I'm sure you are aware of the description in the manual
Old 21st October, 2001, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I attempted to "raise" the mem settings in the BIOS, but I wasn't stable at lower FSB settings?!? Is there a laymens guide to these BIOS settings anywhere. I have found Rojak's BIOS guid, I'm just wondering if Epox has anything for the products they produce? I'm sure you are aware of the description in the manual
This should help www6.tomshardware.com/mainboards/01q3/010806/amd_760-05.html .
Old 21st October, 2001, 11:54 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Im morre or less set on getting an epox board... the problem i'm having is finding somewhere in the UK with the latest kit for reasonable prices! ARGH! epox tech, do you know any good, cheap UK retailers of EPoX products?
Old 21st October, 2001, 07:38 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

Tell you what, send me an 8KHA+, and it'll give it all I got!

I dont' think I'll be buying one for about a month. Overspent recently, and have bills coming up. But if I can spare $120 soon, I'll order that board! I wanna give it a go, and my roommates are backing me!
Remember that to allow more 8KHA+ into the marketplace for you guys I've forfeited mine and had to acheive my 165MHz with the older 8KHA.

and for Random Nonsense - I'm told that you could do worse than try http://www.pcideals.com who are based in south England and offer 8KHA+ online as well as all of the rest of the EPoX range at very very reasonble prices for UK customers ( I think that they generaly have to pay too much from the things I see)
Old 21st October, 2001, 07:51 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Ouch!
Please fell free to post our url anywhere you like to entice a more worthy set of overclockers into your web of radical settings LOL

One problem is of course the limited number of EPoX users we are starting off with. From what I have read in this topic they should be increasing soon.

As for the time spent in conversation, OH! Never mistake gentleness for weakness, we have among us some of the cutthroat elite of overclocking prowess, I mean you here aren't you LOL

Be patient, we will find our mark and we WILL make overclocking history together!

EPox meets cut throat elite, how can we lose":O}
Sorry!!! I just wanted to be rubbed into the floor by someone at 180MHz. I gather I'm needed here to train them all to be a crack elite force like the British SAS in order to get them all past 160MHz reliably !!!

The chatter in here is so much nicer than other forums though - it's a really nice thing you have going on in here Daniel.

for killem1x1 - We unfortunatley cannot supply any tuning data - as we state - this really is dependant on each and every system, between which the capabilities vary - hence the need for the End User or ideally systems integrator to tune the BIOS in conjunction with the quality of the other components within the system
Old 21st October, 2001, 10:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We could worse than to listen to one who knows!":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic