AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th October, 2001, 09:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Be careful with that scotchbrite! A number of modern bits are coated, and using scotchbrite will strip the coating off. The coating helps protect the bit from corrosion.

AidanII
Umm, OK. Mine is probably 20+ years old, and it looks like the tip is made of copper. Anyway it was covered with that green coppery stuff until I scotchbrited it the first time. This thing is so old the handle is made out of some type of ceramic stuff, not plastic. Anyone have any Idea how old this thing is?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th October, 2001, 10:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

i've never heard about tip coatings... i always clean my tips with 1200grit glasspaper before tinning them thoroughly. seems to work fine with my 25w weller iron.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th October, 2001, 05:00 AM

The sandpaper or Scotchbright trick works well on plain old copper tips. As AidanII pointed out, it will damage many of the modern coated tips. If you are using a good Weller iron, save the abrasive until the coating wears out. BTW, I'm cheap, I use a damp paper towel to clean my irons tip.

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.
Old 26th October, 2001, 05:05 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
The sandpaper or Scotchbright trick works well on plain old copper tips. As AidanII pointed out, it will damage many of the modern coated tips. If you are using a good Weller iron, save the abrasive until the coating wears out. BTW, I'm cheap, I use a damp paper towel to clean my irons tip.
Not cheap, frugal

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?