AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd October, 2001, 11:57 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Hmmm, just had an Idea. Wonder if you could use like a 5v 50a bench test PSU to power the 5v portians of the board and use the ATX PSU to power everything else. How about it EPoX Tech? You can get some pretty wicked bench test PSUs on Ebay for beans. I suppose you would have to be sure that the ripple was as low or lower than the typical ATX PSU though.
A bench test PSU is designed to just support mb, cpu, and memory, and agp?

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 12:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

A bench test PSU is designed to just support mb, cpu, and memory, and agp?
No it's just a PSU that is for bench testing electronics. It's not intended to power PC components at all. It's just got two outputs. You can buy low wattage bench test PSUs at radio shack.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 23rd October, 2001 at 12:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2001, 12:16 AM

Here is a beastly 5V 100A example on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1651501979

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd October, 2001, 12:21 AM

And a 5V 75A unit, going for dirt cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1650959411

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd October, 2001, 12:24 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Here is a beastly 5V 100A example on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1651501979
1200 Watts!!!! I could see why you'd want that.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 23rd October, 2001, 08:44 AM

BTW:

Power (Watts) = Voltage (Volts) * Current (Amps)

The PSU has a max combined power rating on the low voltage lines, so if you're already on the limit, boosting the voltage will actually reduce the current!

Basically the only way to get more power is to buy a new PSU.

Apologies if I've got this wrong - I'm struggling hard to remember my few classes in electrical engineering that they make us mechanical engineers take.
Old 23rd October, 2001, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by irsquirt
BTW:

Power (Watts) = Voltage (Volts) * Current (Amps)

The PSU has a max combined power rating on the low voltage lines, so if you're already on the limit, boosting the voltage will actually reduce the current!

Basically the only way to get more power is to buy a new PSU.

Apologies if I've got this wrong - I'm struggling hard to remember my few classes in electrical engineering that they make us mechanical engineers take.
I'm pretty sure your wrong here. If increasing the voltage lowered the amperage, then you wouldn't be able to increase the voltage because the load would over-load the PSU. (does that make since to anyone else). Try stating that equation backwards.

Voltage*Amperage=Wattage

Now if you increase the voltage and the amperage stays fixed(which would be the case if my knowledge of electronics is sound) then you would get more wattage. When everything is said and done wattage is what runs the system, but if you have a choice between pushing extra volts to the board, or having more ampers on tap, take the amps . . . .

Like I said, boosting the voltage beyond spec is not something I'd recomend to most people. Amperage is the ticket.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd October, 2001, 11:30 AM
Systems Administrator

Yeah, because you can be electrocuted by something 10,000 volts and you'll be fine as long as the amperage is like .1 amps. I believe lightning works like that.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 23rd October, 2001, 01:07 PM

I think we're saying the same thing.

If your PSU is maxed out at lets say 150Watts on the low voltage rails and you increase the 5V line to 5.1V, you won't actually get any more power through the unit because it can only deliver 150W, regardless of how that is "split" between voltage & current.

Basically, if the problem is that the PSU can't deliver enough power then fiddling with the voltage won't help, but if the power is OK and the problem is that the voltage control is set too low (which I have heard of) then you might be able to make it stretch.
Old 23rd October, 2001, 01:13 PM

I think that the electrocution thing works this way - you need a very high voltage to actually "penetrate" someone's body, otherwise it will just run through their skin to earth. If you do get a high enough voltage, the current is what does the damage.

Remember that current is a measure of the amount of energy flowing (like flowrate through a pipe) and this causes internal burning, which can kill the muscles of important organs (like the heart).

I was always told that firefighters in UK are trained to navigate smoke-filled rooms using the back of their right hand so that if they touch a live cable they won't grab hold of it (the current will cause the muscles of the hand to contract, gripping whatever is there) and that the current is more likely to flow up their right hand & down their right leg, avoiding the heart.

This might be another urban myth, but it seems to have some truth in it.
Old 23rd October, 2001, 03:50 PM
EPoX Tech

I'm not going to go mad, however I do think that many of you do need to go back to school and polish up on your physics somewhat !!!

What I think that we need to appreciate here is that we are dealing with very high standard motherboards which need to be aforded PSU's of equally high quality.

The initial answer I gave recommended a PSU of at least 350W total and 195W combined power appearing on the AMD list , the response came back stating 150W combined power and then asking me 4 more abrupt questions.

Please do listen to me rather than hoping that your hardware will work if you offer the question enough times.

It may be that a PSU like the one Fireball_87 described may be able to power the mainboard for a short period, but only whilst damaging itself and potentially the components around it.
Old 23rd October, 2001, 09:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
I'm not going to go mad, however I do think that many of you do need to go back to school and polish up on your physics somewhat !!!

What I think that we need to appreciate here is that we are dealing with very high standard motherboards which need to be aforded PSU's of equally high quality.

The initial answer I gave recommended a PSU of at least 350W total and 195W combined power appearing on the AMD list , the response came back stating 150W combined power and then asking me 4 more abrupt questions.

Please do listen to me rather than hoping that your hardware will work if you offer the question enough times.

It may be that a PSU like the one Fireball_87 described may be able to power the mainboard for a short period, but only whilst damaging itself and potentially the components around it.
ok, i understand your point and pretty mutch agree with it. excpt 1 thing. disregarding things like harddrives and sutch(mechanacl divices) i fail to see how supplying TO LITTLE voltage/amprege/wattage can hurt it. i can see how to mutch could hurt it in many ways, but too little?
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Old 23rd October, 2001, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech

Sorted . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 24th October, 2001, 01:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

As an objective "know nothing", I have to say EPoX Rep offered his information in a clear and concise manner, the first time around.

A quote from the E-Ching:

The answer to a question of a pupil ought to be clear and definite,thereupon it ought to be accepted as a key for the resolution of doubts and a basis for decision. If mistrustful or unintelligent questioning is kept up it serves only to annoy the teacher. who does well does well to ignore the student in silence.

Given in addition a perseverance that never slackens until the points are mastered one by one, real success is sure to follow.

Thus the consul given here, serves the Teacher as well as the student."

It seems to me we are dealing with what I might call a confusion of positions due to a change of circumstance.

We are use to the free flowing debate among peers whose knowledge is for the most part experiential and experimental.

Now there is one available to us whose knowledge is scientific and precise, having little to do with his personal opinion, much more to do with his formal education.

We are not bound to accept him as our teacher, we are free to walk away at any time. But if we do except him as our teacher then we must vary our approach if we are to gain the full benefit of his presence among us.

No one need except my view here, yet those who do will, I believe, benefit.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 24th October, 2001 at 02:44 AM.
Old 24th October, 2001, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
As an objective "know nothing", I have say EPoX Rep offered his information in a clear and concise manner, the first time around.

A quote from the E-Ching:

The answer to a question of a pupil ought to be clear and definite,thereupon it ought to be accepted as a key for the resolution of doubts and a basis for decision. If mistrustful or unintelligent questioning is kept up it serves only to annoy the teacher. who does well does well to ignore the student in silence.

Given in addition a perseverance that never slackens until the points are mastered one by one, real success is sure to follow.

Thus the consul given here, serves the Teacher as well as the student."

It seems to me we are dealing with what I might call a confusion of positions due to a change of circumstance.

We are use to the free flowing debate among peers whose knowledge is for the most part experiential and experimental.

Now there is one available to us whose knowledge is scientific and precise, having little to do with his personal opinion, much more to do with his formal education.

We are not bound to accept him as our teacher, we are free to walk away at any time. But if we do except him as our teacher then we must vary our approach if we are to gain the full benefit of his presence among us.

No one need except my view here, yet those who do will, I believe, benefit.
Good analysis of the situation . . . . sorted . . . .

AOA Team fah