AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2001, 11:44 PM

Question 8k7a+, wont even boot to bios.

My system is as follows:
EPoX 8k7a+
Athlon TBird 1.33 (ayhja)
Gainward GeForce3
1 stick 512mb pc2100 mushkin
1 stick 256mb pc2100 crucial
floppy attached
1 hd on each ide raid channel

When I start up the machine the p80p debugger cycles through a few numbers and eventaully stops at "25" (Interrupt vector initialization about to begin. To clear password if
necessary.) The geforce3 is verified as working, as is the ram, on other systems. The only things I have yet to replace are the mobo bios chip and the cpu (which used to work, suppose I may have damaged it.)

I am fairly stumped at this point, anyone have an idea on how I should proceed?

Thanks,
-SirFrags
Old 21st October, 2001, 09:14 AM
EPoX Tech

I feel that the PSU on your system may have lost its peak threshold limit whilst trying to run you machine.

For 8K7A running a processor of above 1GHz, we would recommend a PSU of at least 350W with a combined output of at least 195W appearing on the AMD recommended listing at AMD's site (not just claimed to be "AMD approved" by the retailer as is often the case).
Old 21st October, 2001, 12:35 PM

Post About the PSU

The power supply is an Antec 412x (400watt), it also is powering a VapoChill unit though. I was under the impression that the compressor on the vapo had a higher threshold voltage then everything else and would cut out on me first. I will try to find a more powerful psu, but is there even a possiblity that it is the bios chip or the cpu? I mean if it were would I be getting as far into the boot as I am...

Thanks,
-SirFrags
Old 21st October, 2001, 07:31 PM
EPoX Tech

I would use 2 PSU's if you have a vapochill - there should be just enough space to fit the second at the bottom of the case under the HDD's.