AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th October, 2001, 11:04 AM
Brad

760mp

on the epox front page there is talk of a 760mp mobo

what overclocking features are likely to be on there? What about layout, features, etc
Old 29th October, 2001, 10:45 AM
EPoX Tech

..... Watch this space
Old 31st October, 2001, 08:08 AM
EPoX Tech

edited

Last edited by EPoX Tech; 1st November, 2001 at 02:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2001, 08:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Sounds sweet! So like can you give us some indication of what to expect for a MSRP? Will we be able to pick one up for less than $200?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2001, 08:29 AM
EPoX Tech

Prices shall as always vary around the world.

Prices shall follow as and when the product is near to shipment.

Remember - dual S370 boards are cheap to produce, wherease dual Socket A boards are a real server product.

Also take into account that this is a true industrial division product - hence the 64bit connectivity and onboard LAN - do not expect it to be the cheapest board on the market, but do expect a very high quality product.
Old 3rd November, 2001, 11:31 PM
Brad

M762A, one of the two Multi Processors (MP) AMD solutions created by EPoX. M762A is tentatively schedule to be launched in middle of November 2001. The ATX form factor is made with 6-layer PCB. This server board house’s the AMD 760 MPX + 768 chipset, 4 DIMM slots, up to 4 Gigs of DDR memory, a AGP 4X slot, 2 - 64 bit (66 MHz), 2 - 32bit (33MHz) PCI Slots, ATA 100, 4 USB (2 Optional), single (Intel 82559) LAN, the usual Phoenix BIOS, over clocking abilities...

4 pci???? please tell me that is a typo. It wouldn't worry me if it had good sound, raid, lan (i know it has lan already), but I am guessing if it does have sound, it will be low quality, and it won't have raid.

Either that or it is 2x 64bit 66mhz, 2x 64bit 33mhz, 2x 32bit, 33mhz.

And what do you think qualifies as overclocking capabilities? 3.2v for the ram? 2.4v to the cpu's? up to 200mhz fsb? 1/5th pci divider?
Old 5th November, 2001, 06:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SickBoy Send a message via AIM to SickBoy

Any word, EPoX Tech?

I would assume overclocking capabilities means the ability to change multiplier on an unlocked CPU.

I'll second that for not being thrilled about 4 PCI - I plan on sticking (at minimum) a SB Audigy card, an ATA100 RAID card and a TV Tuner card in there, at minimum. Possibly a second LAN card.

And can we have a date, possibly?

Thanks, I know this is a lot to ask.

SickBoy
Member #100

Abit KT7A-Raid----TBird 1 GHz@1333------Alpha PAL8045--------1.8v
MSI K7D Master---2x Duron 1.2@1320-----Glaciator II and SK6----1.75V
Asus A7N266-VM-----XP 1800+----SVC GC12----1.75V

"People want to know what I'm on. What am I on?!? I'm on my bike, six hours a day."

-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, father, and four-time Tour de France champion
Old 5th November, 2001, 07:05 PM

Guys I wouldn't press him for much. He's not at liberty to discuss something that hasn't been launched.
Old 5th November, 2001, 07:10 PM
EPoX Tech

Please do try to remember that this motherboard is a professional product and that the surface area of the motherboard is very valuable real estate.

These mainboards aren't aimed at an area of the market that wants to use multiplier PCI feature cards or have incrememntal 1MHz stepping and over controller VccCore adjustment (over 1.85v)

Remember that in many designes the memory slots have to be moved and repositioned due to their lying at an angle in order to be able to fit into 1U enclosures.

To cap a little more lightly - please do try to remmeber the market sector that this product will be sold to in the main, and the fact that it will be more than sufficient for their needs.

Overclockers (myself included) as I have stated before do only make up a very minute proportion of the PC buying public.

If a mainboard manufacturer was to make a dual mainboard in order to accomodate the needs and wishes expressed above, it would not sell into the mainstream market for server/workstation boards which is where this field of product is sold into mostly.

If a mianboard manufacturer did manufacture boards like such, perhaps it wouldn't be too long before they no longer existed.

.....and so to speak - Each design is very carefully considered for its target audience, as such the products exist are a result of extensive and hard thought research and development.
Old 5th November, 2001, 08:13 PM

So what you're saying is....

I'm not going to have any advantages if I buy the M762A vs. a Tyan Tiger MP?

I totally understand the "target market" thing, and I know for certain that I don't fit into it. Gotta go where the money is at, and it certainly isn't with overclockers. I am in no way complaining about making a motherboard 1U compliant - it's a pretty smart move and really doesn't hurt the functionality of the motherboard for those of us who choose to use a standard case an utilize the motherboard for a workstation or personal box.

But I ask you this - what does it hurt to have, say, a BIOS FSB option? Just because it's there doesn't mean that the "corporate" user has to mess with it. I don't understand why having such a feature present disqualifies it from being a "market-oriented" or "professional" product. Or even consider this - ship the board with a fixed, non-OC BIOS BUT make such a BIOS available to those who want it.

Please don't take this as an attack. I don't mean it as such, I would just like to hear the rationale behind the decisions not to implement such features. And if it comes down to a decision between the Tiger and the M762A, even if they're no different functionality-wise, I'll probably still choose your board.

SickBoy
Member #100

"People want to know what I'm on. What am I on?!? I'm on my bike, six hours a day."

-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, father, and four-time Tour de France champion
Old 5th November, 2001, 08:56 PM

He didn't say it would have no overclocking features like the Tiger K7, he said it wouldn't feature 1MHz FSB increments. And it would only offer VccCore adjustments up to 1.85v(just like most SocketA motherboards on the market). He didn't directly state whether or not it will have multiplier adjustments, if it doesn't there are other ways of getting the multiplier you desire.

His point was, don't be disappointed if the product doesn't offer all the features our hearts desire, it wasn't intended for us.

Who knows, maybe they will sell so many of these boards to enthusiasts that they will develop and market a board for us. But they won't do that unless they know they can make money with such a product. The people making the calls at motherboard firms have an obligation to there share holders to make money.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th November, 2001, 11:28 AM
EPoX Tech

Thanks for your understanding Sickboy and yours too Jeff.

I didn't state that voltage definatley would be limited or even FSB manipulation, but these are the kinds of things that could be forfeited.

Once has to understand that in the small 2Mb space (256KB) that we have to make a BIOS program - it is difficult to make all of the operand for MP computing - so to furnish with such extravagances extra to that may be a little call over the top and be construed as not concentrating on the key issue - making a stable and naturally fast SMP platform.

Please note also that software development is a very costly and time consumptive operation which in the case of SMP platforms is often concentrated on compatibility with rarer and more professionally orientated hardware compatibility issues.
Old 7th November, 2001, 07:14 AM
Brad

well, in the 256kb Abit had to write the bios for my VP6, they seemed to have done a good job on it...

As long as it can be volt modded, and has a variety of fsb speeds.
Old 7th November, 2001, 07:35 AM
EPoX Tech

I hate having to say that "You must appreciate", but the VP6 is based merely on a 694DPX chipset and is hardly the machine that a dual socket A board is.

I seem to be coming up against too much opposition regarding this question with which I'm just trying to be realistic and offer facts. It feels as though I'm banging my head up a brick wall.

I shall answer no further. Everybody say well done.
Old 7th November, 2001, 07:53 AM

Come on, Brad. You ticked him off.

Not that I need to hear more anyway... I guess I'll just have to wait for the product launch.

SB
Member #100

Old 7th November, 2001, 08:03 AM

Thanx for what all you have been willing to tell us ET. I for one appreciate being let in the loop a little earlier than everyone else, even if it is just general statements about the type of product to come . . . .

2MB, sounds like one hell of a challenge, especially if the programmers are expected to fit the AWDFLASH utility, and Majic Health, on that EEPROM. I imagine moving to a larger EEPROM would be too costly as well . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 7th November, 2001, 10:21 AM
Brad

Yes I realise that, but how much extra is it going to take to put in 100-200 instead of just 4-5 options?

I'd presume you can't go over 2mb, because the southbridge, the bios chip etc.

What about having things like parrallel port on/off, onboard ide on/off on the motherboard, most people will turn these off, and leave them off, or keep them on.