AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th October, 2001, 07:52 AM

Question Mosfets Overheating on 8K7A?

I have 4 8K7A's all of which are running 1.2 MP's at around 1450-1500. I'm using 1.9 volts on each board. I noticed those mosfets in the regulator circuit get so hot I literally cannot touch them for more than a second. I'm not talking slightly hot, but more like I'd get burned if I held my finger on the little heatsinks. I'd bet they're around 140-150 degrees F. My cases have plenty of ventilation. I'm wondering if this is typical or do I need to direct a fan onto the board? Seems like at some point they may go into thermal run away and burn up, or are mosfets immune to that?
Old 30th October, 2001, 08:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Hmm, interesting. I need to keep an eye on this thread. Maybe check the temps on the MOSFETs on my 8KHA+ with my MT4 non-contact thermometer too . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th October, 2001, 10:19 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Mosfets Overheating on 8K7A?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole
Seems like at some point they may go into thermal run away and burn up, or are mosfets immune to that?
For a long time people thought that MOSFETs were immune to thermal runaway. They don't suffer the same way standard transistors do, but it is possible. On the other hand, the MOSFETs on your board should be operating in switched mode, not in their linear section.

AidanII
Old 30th October, 2001, 11:32 AM
EPoX Tech

I would not worry too much about the heat of the Mosfets - they do get very hot indeed, but are able to remain hot for as long as they can remain very cold.

That is as pointed out - they are different animals to transistors indeed and as such fail differently and under different circumstances.
Old 30th October, 2001, 09:58 PM

Well thanks for the input. They've been running fine for a couple of months, so I guess they're okay.
Old 31st October, 2001, 10:22 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I generally figure that as long as the case is below 100C then you're still on the safe side. Over 100C, then you're on the wrong side of too hot.

AidanII