AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   EPoX MotherBoards (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Another bios update for Epox 8KHA+?? (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1627)

Paul.K 2nd December, 2001 05:24 PM

Another bios update for Epox 8KHA+??

Hi guys,

Here's some good news hopely, a snippet from Epox USA website

"some good The KT266A, 8KHA+ won over 30 Awards all over the world! Plus great news for the overclockers! We have heard many good things about how 8KHA+ can go over 150MHz and beyond. Now, we are researching a Beta BIOS that could bring it up to 200MHz. More to come!! For more information about this motherboard, please check the spec located at the products page or contact sales@epox.com for information about purchasing it at a place near you."

This quote is taken directly from their website. Also over on amdmb.com/forums/epox the beta version of the bios has been released and it seems to fix the "warm rebooting issue". People are at 160FSB and are having no warm rebooting issue.

The link for the bios .bin file is
here

test it at your own risk!!! However wait a few days and Epox are releasing the offical version.

Paul.K

P.S One users opinion on the new bios

Racer X (Senior member of amdmb.com/forums)

Quote:

Soft reboots are history with this bios. My ram can only manage 174FSB with tweaking in the bios.
Its time for really good PC2700 and this board will be untouchable.

dimmreaper 2nd December, 2001 05:53 PM

Sounds cool. I can boot windows at 174 right now. But can't get the system 100% stable at more than 164, hopefully the new BIOS will get me there 100%. But since I have no spare EEPROM handy, I'm reluctant to try any beta BIOS. I'll be waiting till it becomes official . . . .

I've got the stuff to do the Vddr hack, but I havn't made my copper heatspreaders yet.

Paul.K 2nd December, 2001 05:58 PM

Dimmreaper,

I'll be posting the results of the bios change tonight when I get back home.!!! So stay tuned.

Paul.K

I dont mind since i have 2 Epox 8KHA+ boards if worst comes to worst I'll have to swap bios chips.

Paul.K 2nd December, 2001 07:00 PM

Dimmreaper,

Could you give me some information concerning the VDIMM DDR mod. Thanks

Paul.K

dimmreaper 2nd December, 2001 08:00 PM

I'm not prepared to tell anyone, as I have not tried it yet and don't want anyone to blow there stuff up. Only crazies like me need more than 3.2V(measures 3.16V with my multimeter) anyway.

dimmreaper 2nd December, 2001 10:27 PM

I tried my Vddr hack. It worked. But because it is a more extreme(read dangerous) hack, I'm not going to tell everyone and there brother how to do it. But if anyone seriously wants to know, and doesn't mind loosing some memory or a motherboard if worst comes to worst, E-mail me and I will fill you in. I don't have any pictures, and will not take any pictures, so nobody ask. I feel this is a hack best kept out of sight and out of mind . . . .

Superman 2nd December, 2001 11:12 PM

That's also available on aoafiles.com, direct from Epox Tech. Has been there for a few days now.

Paul.K 2nd December, 2001 11:44 PM

Just flashed the bios the date is 30/11 and it fixed my warm reboot issue. So guys download it now!!!! I will test for its stability by running benchies overnight. No rebooting issue when FSB is 170........

Paul.K

dimmreaper 2nd December, 2001 11:48 PM

Any improvement in maximum postable FSB?

Paul.K 3rd December, 2001 12:02 AM

Some info here,

There has been no improvement in posting at higher FSB speeds. My system usually posts at 178FSB but freezes in Win XP. However now my system wont even post at that speed.

More information to follow!!!!

dimmreaper 3rd December, 2001 12:37 AM

Thanks Paul, keep us in the know . . .

Holst 3rd December, 2001 04:03 AM

I found this thread on amdmb.com

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=79653

There are several people on there who are claiming 200+ fsb with pics to prove it.

Plus the reboot problem some people where having has been fixed.

There were a couple of people who had problems with it.

Definately worth reading if you have the time.

spirits247 3rd December, 2001 11:47 AM

Check out the new Epox budget board:

8KHAL - YES THE SAME AS THE BIOS FILE!

Since this bios is called 8khaL00.bin isn't it for the above motherboard? This uses dip switches by the way for FSB and multipliers.

I'm going to wait for an official bios update. The most encouraging thing is that this bios has solved many peoples reboot issues, which means that an official bios fix IS POSSIBLE! :) HURRAY! :)

Paul.K 3rd December, 2001 02:49 PM

After several benchies (including Sandra, 3DMark2001, and prime95) overnight, the updated bios revision seems to be stable. I have repetitively rebooted the machine at high FSB 170-180 to see for sure if the warm rebooting issue has finaly been eliminated for good. I can safely say with regards to my system that the warm rebooting issue has been eliminated. It's great not having to press the reset button 5-6 times to reboot the machine.

Great work Epox!!!!!

Also to conclude some people are getting high FSB in the 200 range. I reckon for me to reach that speed I will need to get better memory has my memory craps out at 182FSB with aggresive memory timings.

Paul.K

macci 3rd December, 2001 09:48 PM

Paul, YOu can also use the 3/4 RAM divider option ;)

I flashed the new BIOS and set RAM to 3/4 mode and this is what I've got so far:
http://virtual5.nebula.fi/~efidata/i...cci/221fsb.gif
221FSB! :)

I was also able to run several 3DMark loops at this insane FSB.

Default benchmark (221x8, card 264/565)

Low Detail 640x480 benchmark (221x8, 264/565)

Obviously this 3/4 divider does hurt the performance quite a bit but it's a great option for testing the limits of Chipset and PCI devices. Now I'm 100% sure that the only thing holding me back is the RAM, which maxes out at 185ish w/ fastest timings.

Now Can you imagine the speed at 221MHz w/ FULL RAM SPEED! :)

Iolao 3rd December, 2001 10:46 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

mauler2000 4th December, 2001 12:35 AM

er......wow...

daaaaaaaamnn!!!!! 221mhz !?!!? crazy, anyhow i've flashed my board but.......can't seem to find this RAM divider option, i'm sure i've got the correct beta BIOS... v.8 khal00.bin yes? hmmm, got this one yesterday, maybe i've got an earlier version?......

Paul.K 4th December, 2001 01:03 AM

Macci,

Thats really insane mate.....I did the 5volt resistor mod and it does work. I am at 2.15volts Vcore with my XP AMD. I used 60Kohm resistors and a 47kohm pot. Works like a baby. However I can only get 1800Mhz stable which is cool by me......

I'll have to look for this 3/4 Ram divider....

Cheers Macci....

Paul.K

macci 4th December, 2001 10:37 AM

The "3/4 divider" is the option that lets you choose the DIMM speed (100MHz, 133MHz and by SPD). 3/4 can be enabled by setting this option to "100MHz".

Paul, nice to hear that the Vmod worked for you :)

Paul.K 4th December, 2001 12:54 PM

Cheers Macci, it was a liitle difficult soldiering all the resistors since the IC legs were so close, however with patients and determination I succeeded. My next little pet project is my KR7A VDimm,Vcore and Vio mods.

Keep up the good work Macci

Paul.K

mauler2000 4th December, 2001 08:14 PM

"The "3/4 divider" is the option that lets you choose the DIMM speed (100MHz, 133MHz and by SPD). 3/4 can be enabled by setting this option to "100MHz". " - ah, now i'm enlightened, hmm i did look at that setting and wondered what it did (wasn't obvious at first) and now, mystery solved!!! be back later with new bench results ,cya !! (BTW i love this forum!....easily my fave site next to madonion :) )

EPoX Tech 5th December, 2001 07:16 PM

The last thing I did before I had my weekend break in the sun was to upload that BIOS for y'all - I hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did making it for you.

fireball_87 5th December, 2001 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
I'm not prepared to tell anyone, as I have not tried it yet and don't want anyone to blow there stuff up. Only crazies like me need more than 3.2V(measures 3.16V with my multimeter) anyway.
my ram shure could use it lol :rolleyes: