AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11th May, 2006, 03:59 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Just watched it, that is hugely impressive, and is actually tempting me to get a PS3

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th May, 2006, 04:55 PM

Oh, I'm getting one allright.
Dan, sorry I brught up about the guy sellnig them off. Perhaps I shouldn't have. Apologies!
I'm not even going to listen to anyone saying the Xbox is better, because we all know it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th May, 2006, 04:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Just watched it, that is hugely impressive, and is actually tempting me to get a PS3
Just a FYI... that video was first shown at last year's E3. If I'm not mistaken, it was made before there was even much of a game engine to show.

There are some newer screenshots of the ingame engine, but of course they don't have nearly the same impact of that video.
Old 11th May, 2006, 05:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

DigiTimes is reporting that Sony's goal of 6 million PS3s being sold by March 2007 may be a bit optimistic, according to several on-line game producers and gaming services providers in Taiwan. The chief issues being cited are pricing of the console, availability of Blu-Ray content, and competitive pressure from Microsoft's XBox360.
Old 11th May, 2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
...availability of Blu-Ray content...
This is a big deal. I just read the other day that the release of blu-ray players and movies has been pushed back yet AGAIN. I think that conceptions of the price of the PS3 might be a little different once these movies and players begin to be released. Why buy the player for $400-500 when you can get something that plays pretty games for just a little bit more?

Of course, that's not to say that the price isn't an issue at all. I remember being a freshman in high school when the PS2 was first released. My brothers and I had to work for a while just to scrape together the $375 or so just to get the console, a game and a memory card. I can't tell you how in the world I'll get $650+ for a PS3, or that I could even justify the purchase at this point in time. All I can say is that they look NICE and I'd really like one.
Old 11th May, 2006, 05:30 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
Just a FYI... that video was first shown at last year's E3. If I'm not mistaken, it was made before there was even much of a game engine to show.

There are some newer screenshots of the ingame engine, but of course they don't have nearly the same impact of that video.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info

However, stuff like this :

http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=2419

Still looks damn good

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 11th May, 2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
I didn't know that, thanks for the info

However, stuff like this :

http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=2419

Still looks damn good
Indeed. That's one of the more impressive ones I've seen. Also, check out the Metal Gear Solid 4 movies for another great show of the technology.
Old 11th May, 2006, 06:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
This is a big deal. I just read the other day that the release of blu-ray players and movies has been pushed back yet AGAIN. I think that conceptions of the price of the PS3 might be a little different once these movies and players begin to be released. Why buy the player for $400-500 when you can get something that plays pretty games for just a little bit more?
True, but at the time the PS2 came out, the DVD was a very big deal. It offered clear advantages over the current video storage medium of the day (tape). Blu-Ray offers no such enticement. Tell me, first of all, why I would even WANT a Blu-Ray player, unless I have an HD-capable tv set? And don't forget that, even if I have an HD-capable set, it may not include an HDCP capable interface, meaning that I won't be able to view the HD content of the Blu-Ray disc, EVEN ON MY HD-Capable SYSTEM.
Old 11th May, 2006, 06:47 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

All a con me thinks.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 11th May, 2006, 07:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
And don't forget that, even if I have an HD-capable set, it may not include an HDCP capable interface, meaning that I won't be able to view the HD content of the Blu-Ray disc, EVEN ON MY HD-Capable SYSTEM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundandVisionMag
In an important aside, Don Eklund, SPHE's senior vice president for advanced technologies, said that Sony's initial Blu-ray discs — and all of its Blu-ray titles for the forseeable future — will be free of the "Image Constraint Token" that's built into the Blu-ray and HD DVD standards. This controversial digital flag instructs the player to down-res the video signal from its analog component-video outputs to a standard-definition image to prevent high-resolution recordings — but at the same time prevents viewing of HDTV images on any TV or device not equipped with a copyright-protected HDMI digital input.
Guess that might be why Sony is not that worried about leaving the HDMI port off the lower end model? It's still quite capable of producing an HDTV signal on the analog ports. Of course, if the production company decide to enable the ICT, then there could be an issue.
Old 11th May, 2006, 07:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Oh, I'm getting one allright.
Dan, sorry I brught up about the guy sellnig them off. Perhaps I shouldn't have. Apologies!
I'm not even going to listen to anyone saying the Xbox is better, because we all know it isn't.
Not at all! We all have different takes on these things. I'd be lying if I said my own point of view never changes.

We all go for the "Good thing"....sometimes we forget that there is always a price to pay, If we don't pay it, someone else has to. Cheers.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 11th May, 2006, 10:43 PM

I'm skeptical, I rember looking at pre x360 launch shots and they were amazing, now the 360's out they never looked as good (same with ps2 and practically everything else). Some games like GRAW do look as good but in the end it doesn't really matter. I won't buy a PS3 not for the fact that MS has way of 10 games I'm going to but with many new concepts, what sony has said so far is telling me just another power upgrade. If i do buy a PS3 it will be for the blu-ray player, meaning sony will lose money on me I would probly on buy 1 or 2 games.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 12th May, 2006, 01:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I Blame Playboy Magazine and the discovery of the air brush!
And for the most part I tend to agree, but every once in a while....":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th May, 2006, 09:10 PM

When I think about it has anyone looked at the new 360 games? GoW,Bio Shock,Mass effect(which I'm about to pre-order). Or the new PC games like quake wars (which I pre-oredered)
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 20th May, 2006, 10:47 PM

Nah i'm still not convinced. PS3 may look pretty but i aint getting one on launch, and probably not ever if theres no games i want. Final fantasy is looking to lose exclusivity and so is Devil May Cry these are the only games i play on ps2 other than metal gear solid, but that never stays on one platform for long.

Blu-Ray is completely pointless for me. Especially not when i can get HDDVD's when they release and still watch them on my DVD player and then upgrade my TV at a later date when HDTV is more affordable.

As far as consumers are concerned HDDVD looks better as they don't have to upgrade anything to be able to play them as normal dvds.

Sony have already ****ed up twice with the video format. Betamax flopped and so has UMD movies. Blu-ray disk might survive as a data storage medium, but not as a video medium.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 21st May, 2006, 12:25 AM
AOA Staff

Both betamax and VHS were developed by Philips, not Sony.

They sold the rights to the almost finished VHS format to JVC, when they decided the quality would never be any good.

JVC did not continue development of VHS, but churned out VHS machines straight away. This scuppered Philips' plans for betamax. It got to market too late to become the common standard.
Old 22nd May, 2006, 07:40 AM

Well the thing is the 360 is good yes (got one) but nearly all the big hits that will come on it will also come out on the pc and be far better (ghost recon sounds to be the exception) really all I use my consols for are racing games and Sony wins hands down in that arena, yes PGR3 was good but it was no GT the cars didnt handle as they should and nor did they sound like the real things.
Old 22nd May, 2006, 09:28 AM
Steve Jobs

Yea, there's no doubt PGR3 is a great game, but GT "made" the playstation, and will always hold that crown as the hero of the entire genre.

Racing on the Nurburgring Nordshleife in an M3 and knowing just how close the entire thing is to reality is something truly spectacular.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 22nd May, 2006, 09:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

so 40 extra gigs cost a hundred dollars what hard drive is that costly?
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 22nd May, 2006, 11:09 AM
AOA's resident barman

Off topic, maybe, but is anyone else out there considering the Wii ?

I know I am

8 kByte S-RAM