AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th October, 2006, 02:09 PM
AOA Staff

Post Vista gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP

From the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1266/2/

Comments?
Old 7th October, 2006, 02:32 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Hahahaha

Now that's just one hell of a reason to upgrade!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2006, 03:19 PM
xD ~HOO-RAAH
Snake Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Pacman Champion, Capture The Flag Champion, Mario Bros Pipe Panic Champion, Dirt Bike 2 Champion

Send a message via MSN to Abdul

THAT SUX BIG TIME!

Its meant to be a better OS! Its bigger, more resourceful, more bitchier. IM almost certain you could find some kewl ActiveX desktop that can eventualy do the same things as this new Vista Glass 3D thing. Sux.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2006, 04:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Since when has a new OS from MS meant gaming got faster? It's almost always meant that gaming got slower!
Old 7th October, 2006, 04:22 PM

nonsense Vista Is DX10 based and unless im very much mistaken DX9 applications are emulated. wait until DX10 games will come out and than start talking. lets not forget the improved support of dual cores and 64bit programs that wil make all work WAY faster.
for now I alredy enjoy the fact vista is loaded almost 2 times faster than my XP

Last edited by nekuda; 7th October, 2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 7th October, 2006, 04:40 PM

DirectX 10 hasn't been released yet, and Vista doesn't come with it included in any way, shape, or form. The new interface uses DirectX 9 currently.

What's special about Vista is that it's the only operating system that will support DirectX 10; XP will not.
Old 7th October, 2006, 04:51 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Did they not claim improved preformance due to caching the entire OS to the HDD During full-screen gaming?

Man, vista really IS just XP with a shiney GUI and more DRM etc etc built in.

Are there any real technical or security advantages to Vista?

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th October, 2006, 05:27 PM

Is there likely to be a viable way of patching DX10 into XP? Or to run DX 10 hardware in DX9 compatibility mode of some sort?

Surely games producers wont isolate the entire market sector of people not using vista? Their losses would be massive.

Last edited by kellamne; 7th October, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 7th October, 2006, 05:57 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul
THAT SUX BIG TIME!

Its meant to be a better OS! Its bigger, more resourceful, more bitchier. IM almost certain you could find some kewl ActiveX desktop that can eventualy do the same things as this new Vista Glass 3D thing. Sux.
If a 10-15% performance hit in gaming is acceptable in the pursuit of a sweet 3D desktop, XGL fits the bill nicely.

I still consider it to be far ahead of Aero.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 7th October, 2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne
Is there likely to be a viable way of patching DX10 into XP? Or to run DX 10 hardware in DX9 compatibility mode of some sort?

Surely games producers wont isolate the entire market sector of people not using vista? Their losses would be massive.
there WONT be a way to patch DX10 into XP DX10 is built as the core of vista and vista as well as DX10 works very differently from DX9 and XP.
I believe that maybe Microsoft will pay some bribes for companies to make DX10 games. and in israel at least the polls show that 30% of the population gonna download/buy vista as it comes out, 40% will wait until stabler version adn 30 stick with XP. anyway Im old enough to rember how everyone sayed how SUX xp is and how they gonna stay with their 95/98/98se forever..

anyway when the midrage DX10 cards will be out only then it will be time to give vista grades :/

anyway Vista is nicer then XP, its much nicer to browe in it finding files is much more comfy and for now I see that it works faster.
I play games only a hour or 4 a day and spend most of my time in the internet programing writing books(see my blog lnahum.spaces.live.com) and etc and I find the new GUI very helpfull

Last edited by nekuda; 7th October, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 7th October, 2006, 06:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

If anyone wants me, i'll be in my room [making a new desktop modding application that can look just like Vista's]. Seriously, it isn't hard to make the aero style on any application. I tell ya what, i'll make one now to show you all if you want. It might not have the blurred effect but i'll try my best (it is very possible and still very low on resources). Perhaps i'll build it into the next AJet.

But 10-15% slower for gaming. It's not as bad as you all think. Say for example, i'm getting 40FPS in HL2:LC when all settings are at full. That's only a 4-6 FPS drop. If i really want it a bit faster, i'll just drop the res down a notch since it doesn't appear any different to me. Obviously, if i was getting 80 FPS, then it'd be an 8-12 FPS drop. That's not too bad really since you're still getting nearly 70FPS in the worst case. so 100FPS = 85-90FPS, 80FPS = 68-72FPS, 40FPS = 34-36FPS, 15FPS = Time to upgrade, < 15FPS = HAHAHAH, Noobzor!

I'm personally gonna stay with XP until they sort it out. Although i wanna play Crysis, i'm not gonna upgrade to Vista JUST to play it. I believe that there will be some sort of emulator for games beyond DX9, whether it be sooner or later.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)

Last edited by skool h8r; 7th October, 2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 8th October, 2006, 01:24 PM
AOA's resident barman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekuda
there WONT be a way to patch DX10 into XP DX10 is built as the core of vista and vista as well as DX10 works very differently from DX9 and XP.
Sorry, but Vista is just XP with a fancy skin. Vista doesn't have DirectX 10 integrated in the kernel (if that's what you mean) in any big way.

I hope that there will be some mods out there to get DirectX 10 running on XP.

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 8th October, 2006, 03:19 PM

Im sure that MS alredy thought of all the smartass patcher and ****
Old 8th October, 2006, 03:26 PM
Steve Jobs

They also thought of the smartass virus makers, and the smartass pirates, and the smartass rootkit makers, but their success rate isn't exactly that high.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 9th October, 2006, 12:10 AM
Member/Contributer

Well hopefully there will also be a patch where you can run DX10 on W2k.

I don't care for XP that much, I don't really care about the look of my desktop and windows, they are either maximised, or minimised, and as for transparent - thats just annoying. XGL looks good, but the only feature I would ever use is the ability to pull a corner of the screen down to see whats behind it. I wouldn't use Aero at all. I don't like the look or feel of Vista at all.

My XP at work looks just like W2k, the only feature I use is the dual column start menu which W2k doesn't have. Apart from that I can do everything on W2k that I want on XP, without the pain of activation.

When I have to update, it will be to linux, not another MS bloatware

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 9th October, 2006, 01:27 AM

haha. This whole thing doesnt surpised me especially sinice Ive tried every version of vista as it came. Was thier also any decreasin from 2000 to XP?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 9th October, 2006, 01:39 AM
Member/Contributer

I have never benchmarked them.

As I can have W2k seeming to run almost as fast opening office 2K documents on a AMD K6 350MHz with 64MB RAM as XP and office XP on a Athlon 1600+ and 512MB RAM, I would probably say yes.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 9th October, 2006, 02:31 AM
Steve Jobs

I still have my grandfather using Win2K on a Pentium Pro 200Mhz with 64MB RAM, and I honestly can't say its in any way sluggish. It was actually faster than 9x/ME IMHO.

Some of the XGL features like Expose, transparancey, the new alt + tab, and hardware acceleration are actually surprisingly useful. For example, I can have a web page how-to or manual running in the background, while I have a semi-transparent terminal window in the foreground, so I can read the instructions THROUGH the terminal window, while I'm typing in it. I can also program in an editor in the foreground transparently, while I can watch a an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in the background *through* my editor window. Your eyes very quickly learn to be able to double focus on what you're looking at, kind of reading while watching. It essentially doubles your monitor area for free.

Expose is by far the best way to switch programs, and unbelievable fast, its pinched directly from OSX, so you can look it up at apple.

The new alt tab is also brilliant, switching windows in the background which you can see through the transparent dialogue, keeping everything updated in realtime. Its really quite impressive.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 9th October, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old 9th October, 2006, 02:43 AM
Member/Contributer

IMHO W2k is probably the best OS windows has ever made.
excepting maybe 3.11 (with 32bit extensions run on a athlon 2200+, and office 95 to do word processing)

Its doesn't require much on the resources side, as stable as windows can be, although doesn't have the outright media capabilities of XP, 3rd party products, with a bit of tweaking sometimes, will run just as well if not better. No activation, and about as many real controls as XP.

The only thing is its only paid support from MS, or free from their website.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 9th October, 2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
IMHO W2k is probably the best OS windows has ever made.
excepting maybe 3.11 (with 32bit extensions run on a athlon 2200+, and office 95 to do word processing)

Its doesn't require much on the resources side, as stable as windows can be, although doesn't have the outright media capabilities of XP, 3rd party products, with a bit of tweaking sometimes, will run just as well if not better. No activation, and about as many real controls as XP.

The only thing is its only paid support from MS, or free from their website.

maybe just comeback to dos? will ya?

anway, how can I do this expose thingy?? I mean changing my screens trasparenty..