AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th November, 2007, 04:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Nintendo achieves record sales during Black Friday week

Written by Daniel
Friday, 30 November 2007
Nintendo President Reggie Fils-Aime Can't Find a Wii
Marcus Yam (Blog) - November 28, 2007 8:51 AM
DailyTech

It may be hard to believe, but Wii hype could be greater this holiday season than during the same time last year.... Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st December, 2007, 04:31 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Honestly, it IS a great "family" box.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st December, 2007, 12:20 PM

Their going to struggle over Christmas. I went through my local shopping mall the other day, one of the busiest in-town centers in the UK and I couldn't find a single shop stocking Wii's anywhere.
Not only that, but Amazon and Play are completely out. Only their 3rd party sellers have stock and they are asking for £300($600)+ per console.

I'm thinking it's time for the PS3 to catch up and it really will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 1st December, 2007, 04:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I can't tell you how many families here have picked up one for Christmas. It does seem like great fun for the family....
Old 1st December, 2007, 06:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You don't send both MS and Sony back to the dug outs with a product costing 1/2 as much unless you really bring with you when you come! Nintendo has pull off a remarkable victory in the market place.

Seems to have put a lot smiles on peoples faces as well. More power to them.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th December, 2007, 12:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Having got 1 back in May, and having my father, who states that games are stupid, consoles more so, actually going back to play for more - it must be addictive.

Just finished COD3, the game play with the remote and nunchuck is so different, and addictive.
Red Steel, you not only have guns, but also get to fight with swords on occasion.

We got a second remote - playing the tennis game, although cartoonish graphics (which nintendo do very well), it is very fun. Don't know how we would get 4 people playing though.

As I am one of those who move the controller anyway, the movements while awkward to start with, come very natural. They make use of the sensor bar, and the remote and nunchuck obviously have something like a gyroscope in them.

Examples.

1. setting bombs to blow up things like AA guns.
Move numchuck forward (away from you) - places fuse
move nunchuck clockwise - screws in fuse
move nunchuck back (towards yourself) - pull pin to arm/starts countdown

2. Mortar / heavey gun
moving remote clockwise/anticlockwise - rotates aiming (device) right/left
moving nunchuck clockwise/anticlockwise - raises/lowers barrel
'B' button (trigger like one underneath) fires.

They also utilise nunchuck movements - flick outwards to change weapon, downwards to reload (as well as hard buttons). Or move remote forward for melee attack (weapon but), there are movements if they grab hold of you, and 1 time when you almost fall off a tower, using both. Holding both at 3 & 9 o'clock and using it like a steering wheel for driving.

Red steel has similar for weapon change / reload / 'use' (open door etc)
Also for combinations when using the sword / 'aimed fire' and more.

The sports have very simialr movements to the actual sport - tennis, bowling, golf, baseball. They even have addons for the remote to make it look like the club/bat/racket you are using.

All in all I am very happy, especially actually getting 1 during their 'slowest' period, and have spent more time on it recently, last ~6 months, than the PC. My family ask that I bring it with me when I visit, which coming from dad was a bit of a shock.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 4th December, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 4th December, 2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
Having got 1 back in May, and having my father, who states that games are stupid, consoles more so, actually going back to play for more - it must be addictive.

Just finished COD3, the game play with the remote and nunchuck is so different, and addictive.
Red Steel, you not only have guns, but also get to fight with swords on occasion.

We got a second remote - playing the tennis game, although cartoonish graphics (which nintendo do very well), it is very fun. Don't know how we would get 4 people playing though.

As I am one of those who move the controller anyway, the movements while awkward to start with, come very natural. They make use of the sensor bar, and the remote and nunchuck obviously have something like a gyroscope in them.

Examples.

1. setting bombs to blow up things like AA guns.
Move numchuck forward (away from you) - places fuse
move nunchuck clockwise - screws in fuse
move nunchuck back (towards yourself) - pull pin to arm/starts countdown

2. Mortar / heavey gun
moving remote clockwise/anticlockwise - rotates aiming (device) right/left
moving nunchuck clockwise/anticlockwise - raises/lowers barrel
'B' button (trigger like one underneath) fires.

They also utilise nunchuck movements - flick outwards to change weapon, downwards to reload (as well as hard buttons). Or move remote forward for melee attack (weapon but), there are movements if they grab hold of you, and 1 time when you almost fall off a tower, using both. Holding both at 3 & 9 o'clock and using it like a steering wheel for driving.

Red steel has similar for weapon change / reload / 'use' (open door etc)
Also for combinations when using the sword / 'aimed fire' and more.

The sports have very simialr movements to the actual sport - tennis, bowling, golf, baseball. They even have addons for the remote to make it look like the club/bat/racket you are using.

All in all I am very happy, especially actually getting 1 during their 'slowest' period, and have spent more time on it recently, last ~6 months, than the PC. My family ask that I bring it with me when I visit, which coming from dad was a bit of a shock.
I don't know why, but the Wii just doesn't do it for me.

I have played one, considerably, as my friend has a Wii.
As something to mess about with before I go out, or just for a quick bit of fun, it's faultless.

But for everything else, it's completely trounced by my PS3. More people want to play my PS3. They play the Wii for 10 minutes, and then ask to play the PS3, and do so for hours.

Thats why I see the Wii as a bit of fun but not much else. It isn't going to give me endless years of gaming enjoyment because the fact is that once the novelty of waving around wears off....your left with a console that has PS2 graphics. And that does mean a lot to people. Sure it's about gameplay too. But when people see my PS3 fired up onto HD, they instantly forget about the Wii.

The Wii is no doubt in my mind a fad, a hugely successful and brilliant one at that, but a fad nonetheless. Nobody who bought a Wii six months ago, is still going to be playing it endlessly a year from now. People will defend their use of the Wii, because they love it very much. They are adamant they will be playing it in years to come. A kind of fanboyism is growing there. But I cannot see it, I can't see it as a Product Designer and I can't see it as a consumer.
It just doesn't have the longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 4th December, 2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 4th December, 2007, 07:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

That's two cars your going to owe me.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 5th December, 2007, 12:56 AM
Member/Contributer

I'll let you know in 1 year Aghast.

Personally with a couple of extras (gun styled skin for the remote), certain games would be even better.

Next gen Wii needs to be much more powerful, CPU and GPU wise. But as I have a DVD player, MP3 players and a Media PC I don't need my console to have it, and don't want to pay for the extra. I don't need the large HDD, maybe a bit more on the Wii would be nice for the extra channels / savegames, but it does have external mem slots.

Having the virtual console is a good idea, as almost all of the old games are still there, even though some need a wired controller to use.

I accept the PS3 has much better graphics / hardware. Maybe even better and definately more new games. But for me, I prefer many time wasters as I have alot to study and mainly want a few min break.

But for $450 for the Wii with Wii sports, $800 for the xBox 360 ($950 for the Halo package), and $1300 for the base PS3 ($1500 for the Gran Turismo package), the Wii came out tops by alot - especially as the PS3 wasn't out in NZ when I got the Wii.

If I want a PC gaming experience, I have a PC. For a quick game to chill out I have a Wii. If I was into alot of the PS or xBox games I would probably own one of them.

As for pointing the remote - well I like it much better than using the controller to attempt to line up my shots. Its even better than using a mouse - its reasonably instinctive and very intuitive.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 5th December, 2007 at 12:57 AM.