AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th July, 2003, 11:08 PM

Logitech MX500 Mouse review

I decided to buy a new mouse as my old M$ explorer ball mouse was sticking allot.

After allot of searching I decided on a Logitech MX500 optical.

Ive tried opticals in the past and ive hated them. My last was a logitech dual optical that I gave to ET as I didnt like it. In games it just wasnt as responsive as my ball mouse.
I also had one problem due to the way I play FPS shooters. I like to use low sensitivity then keep picking the mouse up and moving it to keep it on the mouse pad. With previous optical mice this made the mouse jump something terrible, and annoyed the hell out of me during a game.

Anyway enough rambling...

I dont have a camera ATM so here is a pic from logitech's site.

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/1168.jpg

As you can see it has the usual two buttons and a wheel plus three extra buttons on the top and two on the side.

The wheel is quite smooth but I didnt have any problem with it moving too far by accident, the third button is activated when you push down. The third button is pretty good you wont push it by accident or move the wheel when pressing it.

The two small buttons either side of the wheel are something called "cruise controll scrolling", essentilly there the same as scrolling with the wheel. I havent found myself using them much but they work ok.
The third button opens a menu a bit like pressing "alt - tab" where you can select between open programs and windows. This is usefull in a crouded desktop.

The two buttons on the side can be used as forward and back buttons in IE or opera, ive found these pretty usefull.

The buttons are placed in such a way that I dont accidentally press them when using the mouse.

The mouse is shaped pretty much like M$ optical offerings and fits my hand pretty well. Ive found it comfortable to use even during a long quake session.

The one big dissadvantage is the logitech software.
Before installing it everything on the mouse worked very nicely bar the programm selector button.
After I installed the software I got a few extra options in the mouse section in controll panel but nothing all that usefull.
But the mouse wheel didnt work propperly
With the logitech software installed the mouse wheel was very jumpy and felt very innacurate.
I had none of these problems with the stock windows driver.

So ive uninstalled the logitech software and stuck to the standare windows drivers. Luckily the forward and back buttons still work fine so ive only lost the programm selector buttons functionality.

Ive got no way of testing the mouses accuracy but its definately on a par with the razor 2000 mouse I used to use, and far superiour to my old intelimouse.

In games the mouse is excelent. There is no lag or jumping even when playing fast moving games.
I could also pick the mouse up and move it without the sensor getting confused. Once it stops getting a signal it stops working all together. This is a great improovement for me as I can now play my games without altering my style.

Overall this is an excelent product bar the poor software.

Id definately recomend these mice to gamers.

Ill leave you with an excelent railgun screeny, just to show this mouse is accurate
Attached Thumbnails
Logitech MX500 Mouse review-railfun.jpg  

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2003, 01:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to vengance_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holst
I decided to buy a new mouse as my old M$ explorer ball mouse was sticking allot.

After allot of searching I decided on a Logitech MX500 optical.

Ive tried opticals in the past and ive hated them. My last was a logitech dual optical that I gave to ET as I didnt like it. In games it just wasnt as responsive as my ball mouse.
I also had one problem due to the way I play FPS shooters. I like to use low sensitivity then keep picking the mouse up and moving it to keep it on the mouse pad. With previous optical mice this made the mouse jump something terrible, and annoyed the hell out of me during a game.

Anyway enough rambling...

I dont have a camera ATM so here is a pic from logitech's site.

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/1168.jpg

As you can see it has the usual two buttons and a wheel plus three extra buttons on the top and two on the side.

The wheel is quite smooth but I didnt have any problem with it moving too far by accident, the third button is activated when you push down. The third button is pretty good you wont push it by accident or move the wheel when pressing it.

The two small buttons either side of the wheel are something called "cruise controll scrolling", essentilly there the same as scrolling with the wheel. I havent found myself using them much but they work ok.
The third button opens a menu a bit like pressing "alt - tab" where you can select between open programs and windows. This is usefull in a crouded desktop.

The two buttons on the side can be used as forward and back buttons in IE or opera, ive found these pretty usefull.

The buttons are placed in such a way that I dont accidentally press them when using the mouse.

The mouse is shaped pretty much like M$ optical offerings and fits my hand pretty well. Ive found it comfortable to use even during a long quake session.

The one big dissadvantage is the logitech software.
Before installing it everything on the mouse worked very nicely bar the programm selector button.
After I installed the software I got a few extra options in the mouse section in controll panel but nothing all that usefull.
But the mouse wheel didnt work propperly
With the logitech software installed the mouse wheel was very jumpy and felt very innacurate.
I had none of these problems with the stock windows driver.

So ive uninstalled the logitech software and stuck to the standare windows drivers. Luckily the forward and back buttons still work fine so ive only lost the programm selector buttons functionality.

Ive got no way of testing the mouses accuracy but its definately on a par with the razor 2000 mouse I used to use, and far superiour to my old intelimouse.

In games the mouse is excelent. There is no lag or jumping even when playing fast moving games.
I could also pick the mouse up and move it without the sensor getting confused. Once it stops getting a signal it stops working all together. This is a great improovement for me as I can now play my games without altering my style.

Overall this is an excelent product bar the poor software.

Id definately recomend these mice to gamers.

Ill leave you with an excelent railgun screeny, just to show this mouse is accurate
Yes this mouse rocks! I hav been using it for about 2 months. I love how it fits my hand, and now my wrist never hurts, but when I had my MS 2.0 it would hurt after a while.
XP2000@stock
1.3GHZ Pentium M
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2003, 05:49 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks for the review, Holst! MS's mice have never worked as well as Logitech's, for me anyway. And yes, it's often better to avoid Logitech's software. XP is marvellous at installing needed driver's.