AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th August, 2003, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Invalid

more memory or a faster HDD??

Hey,
Ive recently got some spending money and i just cant decide what to get out of the following, im looking for supreme speed in games and multitasking :

choice 1: Another stick of OCZ 3500 EL to make 512Mb (dual channel) plus 40/80Gig 7200 ATA133 model (caviar or something similar)...

choice 2: Two 40/80Gig 7200 ATA133 model (caviar or something similar) in raid-0...

so which one would anyone recommend?? I currently have a 40gig seagate 5400rpm HDD LoL...

Thanks!,

Ross
Old 15th August, 2003, 11:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

If you are currently running Win XP with only 256mb RAM then choice one would be a better choice. IMHO

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th August, 2003, 11:30 PM

yea i suppose, XP does eat memory...i dont use XP that much though, i do web design on XP, games on 2000 and i use linux generally
Old 15th August, 2003, 11:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invalid
Hey,
Ive recently got some spending money and i just cant decide what to get out of the following, im looking for supreme speed in games and multitasking :

choice 1: Another stick of OCZ 3500 EL to make 512Mb (dual channel) plus 40/80Gig 7200 ATA133 model (caviar or something similar)...

choice 2: Two 40/80Gig 7200 ATA133 model (caviar or something similar) in raid-0...

so which one would anyone recommend?? I currently have a 40gig seagate 5400rpm HDD LoL...

Thanks!,

Ross
The Western Digital's with the 8 Mb Cache are popular, they come with a 3 year warranty as well--or at least used to. As Staz posted, 256 Mb of RAM is pretty much history if you want to run WinXP.

Hate to mention it, Ross, however please remove the graphic in your signature. It's quite stylish, but rules are rules.
Old 16th August, 2003, 12:52 AM

My vote goes to more RAM as well.
Old 16th August, 2003, 02:59 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Ram would help... going dual ddr definitely doesn't hurt either. HDD performance has very little impact in games. But if you get another HDD, get 8meg cache... much faster disk performance. I've done raid0. It helps, but not worth the hassle in the long run. I just stick with 8meg cache drives now.
Old 16th August, 2003, 08:42 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

256Mb of RAM is a little on the short side for graphics work under either 2K or XP! I would consider that to be a sensible minimum for either OS.

Secondly, adding another hard disk can provide benefits in that you can split up OS, apps and swap space. You can see a boost in performance simply by placing your swap file on a different hard disk to your apps/OS.

In any case, it might be sensible to take advantage of programs built into the OS (like perfmon) to see how much swapping, memory usage and disk usage is actually happening. That will help you see where your system is currently bottlenecked.
Old 16th August, 2003, 02:07 PM

oops sorry cloasters, didnt realise, i will remove it at once...thanks for all the input guys, it seems i will get some more memory and an 8Mb cache HDD then....

Thanks!

Ross
Old 16th August, 2003, 08:59 PM

hmm, ok now it begs the questions, should i go with the Maxtor DiamondMAX plus 9 8Mb cache, £75 for 80 gig or the Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 80GB 8MB for £70.00...does anyone have any experience with either drive, or have a HDD for about £70-£80 they would highly recomment?

Thanks!,

Ross
Old 16th August, 2003, 11:29 PM
AOA Staff

Go for more memory if you want better performance in games.
Old 17th August, 2003, 12:48 AM
Member/Contributer

Invalid, have a look at the WD Caviar SE 120GB drives on Ebuyer.co.uk for £87 inc VAT.
I have the 80Gb version of the WD Caviar and Maxtor.The WD Caviar is noticeably faster and quieter, plus you get 3 years warranty!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th August, 2003, 01:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invalid
oops sorry cloasters, didnt realise, i will remove it at once...thanks for all the input guys, it seems i will get some more memory and an 8Mb cache HDD then....

Thanks!

Ross
Thank you, Ross! Sorry that it had to go, it was danged nice.
Old 17th August, 2003, 11:26 AM

hehe, dont matter...hmm, yes, ive been recommended the caviar from ebuyer...but i had some bad experiences with 2 dead mobos fro them so im a little hesitent, it is a nice deal though

Ross
Old 3rd September, 2003, 06:15 AM

If I had less than 512 I would get it. As well, running the whole system (apps and os) raid0 is asking for trouble. Especialy if the controller is a software controller. You will lose it eventualy. The safest way is to have a single drive for the os and then raid the apps.