AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th July, 2004, 11:03 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

OMG Decisions.

This is horrible... Some recommendations might be nice.

I've been saving some cash up for a while and have come to a crossroad.

Originally I intended to buy a 6800U/X800XT (I'll see which a fancy at the time)

Now.. while browsing around... I realize that I have just enough to go for a AMD FX 53 + Mobo. However it'll be some time before I'll have enough for a new Graphics Card and the performance increase (Mainly as a gamer) won't be as noticeable as the GPU.

And also, is there a difference between the SKT 939 and the 940 versions (Other than price?)

Thanks.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2004, 11:14 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i believe that the extra pin was for the 2mb or whatever extra cache that the fx-has...
Old 28th July, 2004, 11:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

socket 940 is the discontinued line, i dont think they dont make those anymore
Old 28th July, 2004, 11:20 PM

you'd be right. at first the pin was for the mem...but things have changed largely it seems...969 anyone?
Old 29th July, 2004, 01:17 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

yes there is quite a big difference between the two, the 939 has a higher hypertransport speed and looses the need for ecc ram. but i think it has been hurt by some other method. Tomshardware has a comparison of the two somewhere.
Amd's current line is just too darn confusing. They seem to have a chip for every market and label them quite randomly.
Dual channel ram or not, 1mb l2 cache, or 512k or even 256, not to mention different ht speeds.
Only the FX isnt particulalry crippled in anyway apart from its price tag. (earlier fx's lagged in raw clock speed compared the a64)

The worst part of it is they are currently stradeling 4 cpu socket types, a (462), 754, 939 and 940. Across there range.

940 is going to continue but its for opterons only to ensure multi cpu systems must be opterons which are hard to come by and expensive just so people cant dual'y on the cheap.
Quite simply i think its a shambles, what was once amd's most redeaming feature has been lost, and replaced with total confusion over which socket / chip to buy in the first place.
no longer can you just drop in a new cpu and reap the benefits oh no, you need new cpu / mobo and ram all at once.

oh and to make matters worse the new sempron line is a load of rebadged chips again but with new numbers that dont add up.[sarcasm] Fantastic just what we needid amd [/sarcasm]

K

Edit i was wrong the new fx53 isnt hampered in anyway apart from its $66 price hike, but then when your paying $733 in the first place whats another 66

Last edited by keithwalton; 29th July, 2004 at 01:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th July, 2004, 01:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
Quite simply i think its a shambles, what was once amd's most redeaming feature has been lost, and replaced with total confusion over which socket / chip to buy in the first place.
no longer can you just drop in a new cpu and reap the benefits oh no, you need new cpu / mobo and ram all at once.

oh and to make matters worse the new sempron line is a load of rebadged chips again stradeling multiple sockets.[sarcasm] Fantastic just what we needid amd [/sarcasm]

K
Yep. The only thing saving them at this point (aside from 64-bit starting to dig in) is that you are effectively in the same boat with the newest Intel stuff and socket 775, at least as far as having to buy a new mobo to go with your new chip.
Old 29th July, 2004, 01:27 AM

i have it from good ears that 754 is going with nforce-3...as n-force 3 does not support pci-x.
it's been quite some time since we have seen a new 462 chip...and i don't think we ever will, now that there are a64 mobiles.
as far as i can make from all i have read and heard, amd is going 142,143,etc,242,243,etc,442,443,etc, and possibilities of 8xx lines..but there is not a real need for that kind of power quite yet. my numbering is off too, but you get the idea.
940 is EEC mem over the 939...i knew it was something about mem but could not remember what...thanks keith.
my numbering refers to the opteron #ing system...

Last edited by cadaveca; 29th July, 2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old 29th July, 2004, 01:31 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Oh I get it.

[/]

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 29th July, 2004, 01:35 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Yes the intel camp is probably even worse, not only do they run hot, but you may need new ram and new graphics card as well along with the mobo and chip.
At least there is only going to be 755 for both P4 and Celeron D chips. that boat might be stabilising for now, though btx might just get it rocking again.
Just reading the sempron review stuff, several of them have jumped up in numbering but back in technology eg. at 1.83GHz you had the barton 2500+, this is now a 2600+ but is on the tbred-b core. (less l2 cache) both fsb 333.
There is also a crippled A64 in there called the paris core, which is a basic a64 core, (least cache, and slowest ht) but with the 64bit disabled / not there. running at 1.8ghz, yet given the ranking of 3100+ ! its the only one for now on s754 but there will be more, hopefully with better numbering as jumping from 2200+ (a xp at same clock rate) to 3100+ just because its sitting on s754 and has a heatspreader on it. i find a little far fetched.
What is an a64 after all, a barton with more cache (sometimes) 64 bit tech, sse2, and onboard memory controller, of which this chip doesnt have the first two

K

Edit - Looking at the benchies the 3100+ comparitively looks quite quick, but then they compare it to a sempron 2800+ (2.0GHz) and a celeron 335.
I would of liked to see how it faired to say a P4 3GHz or a A64 with a similar ranking

Last edited by keithwalton; 29th July, 2004 at 01:45 AM.
Old 29th July, 2004, 01:44 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
What is an a64 after all, a barton with more cache (sometimes) 64 bit tech, sse2, and onboard memory controller, of which this chip doesnt have the first two

K
An overhauled Barton would be a better description. They've improved the pipeline, the branch prediction, the TLB, the register renaming, and a whole host of other things, so it is more than just a Barton with 64-bit tech tacked on.
Old 29th July, 2004, 02:11 AM

yeah you can save money on ram if you go with socket 939 cuz you can get normal ram not registered and unbuffered and i think 939 will support dual channel ram from what i've heard. Also does 939 boards have AGP/PCI locks yet which would really make me buy a new 939 some time next year.
Asetek Waterchill Antartica
2x512 OCZ Platinum LL pc3200 @2.6v
2xSeagate 80 gig SATA raid-0
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)
Pioneer 16x DL+DVD burner
Dell M992 19"crt 1600x1200 .24dp

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
[url=http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=45]
AOA Team fah
Old 29th July, 2004, 02:19 AM
AOA Staff

I'm still stuck on what to blow my savings on

Maybe I'll buy a refridgeration unit.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 29th July, 2004, 02:23 AM

personally... i'd wait on mobo/cpu....
get the vid card of whichever flavor you like the most....if your into gaming it'll probably get you the most bang for your buck...and last until you can save to go 939 or whateva...upgrade proc and mobo...and then you might find yourself dissappointed.IMHO
Old 29th July, 2004, 03:32 AM
Member/Contributor

Just looking at your sig pitch you seem to have a pretty decent main system allready, you could end up spending a fair whack of money for little performance gain. Is it really worth it ? is there somthing your current rig cant do well enough.
Can the money be better spent elsewhere if you really have to spend it at all doesnt have to be on computers, there are other things in life :-)
Old 29th July, 2004, 03:45 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Can the money be better spent elsewhere if you really have to spend it at all doesnt have to be on computers, there are other things in life :-)
You're talking to the wrong person my friend

Im actually building a third system, and want to go 64bit.

XBL/PNS = neolad