AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th February, 2005, 06:56 PM

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop

Hi,

I just brought my self a brand new Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 2.0 Comfort Edition, I have gone to the Microsoft web site and downloaded the latest drivers, the keyboard and all of its extra functions work fine but here's where the problem start when I go to play games "if I was to walk forward by pressing the (W) key it will walk then suddenly stop"!! and I would then have to press the key again to continue walking? and its with every game. is it because its wireless or am I doing something wrong? all other keyboard I have in the house work fine......
RAM: 2x512 PC400 DDR
Maxtor ATA 160GB + 120GB
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2005, 08:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'd tend to suspect the keyboard, and its behavior is probably by design.

The IBM Keyboard Protocol specifies that the keyboard will send a keydown keycode at regular intervals for as long as the key is held down. For a wireless keyboard, this means transmitting a radio signal (a fairly expensive thing, power-wise) constantly. The keyboard firmware is probably designed to assume that any key held down for more than a certain period of time is stuck, and so stops sending the event in order to save battery life.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2005, 09:34 PM
AOA Staff

My cordless logitech keyboard doesn't do this.

I would agree that it is unlikely that it transmits the whole time a key is held down - the battery seems to last forever. I would guess that with mine it transmits a second signal when the key is released.

Hopefully someone knows more about the keyboard you have.
Old 13th February, 2005, 06:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
My cordless logitech keyboard doesn't do this.

I would agree that it is unlikely that it transmits the whole time a key is held down - the battery seems to last forever. I would guess that with mine it transmits a second signal when the key is released.
I've always thought the whole implementation was rather goofy. I think it is a hold-over from the early days of the PC, when key repeat was actually a function of the keyboard as opposed to the BIOS. The reason I think this is because there is also a keyup event. As long as the keyboard sends a keydown and a keyup event, everything should be perfectly fine for anything newer than a PC XT (and maybe even then). But it's the best guess I have.
Old 13th February, 2005, 06:41 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs
Hi,

I just brought my self a brand new Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 2.0 Comfort Edition, I have gone to the Microsoft web site and downloaded the latest drivers, the keyboard and all of its extra functions work fine but here's where the problem start when I go to play games "if I was to walk forward by pressing the (W) key it will walk then suddenly stop"!! and I would then have to press the key again to continue walking? and its with every game. is it because its wireless or am I doing something wrong? all other keyboard I have in the house work fine......

I had the same issue with that set. You need to make sure that the ketboard is recieveing stand-by power...i don't know why, but it solved it for me. As well, make sure you install drivers from the cd first, and then update to the newest 5.2....everything works good on the second rig in my sig now, since doing that. stupid thing made me buy another wired keyboard, it was so frustrating!
Old 13th February, 2005, 07:01 PM

How would a make sure that my keyboard is receveing stand-by power? plus I dident get any drivers in the box ;(
Maxtor ATA 160GB + 120GB
Old 13th February, 2005, 07:02 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

no intellipoint driver? for shame! start with version 4.0.

the mobo needs to be able to be brought out of standby by the keyboard. I dunno why this setting in my bios helped!
Old 13th February, 2005, 07:11 PM

Sorry but im a noob when it comes to things like this where? what? when?

you got any links for what i need

sorry
Maxtor ATA 160GB + 120GB
Old 16th February, 2005, 07:24 AM

I have the (wireless) logitech mx duo and the keyboard still has the batterys that it shiped with in it. I use it every day and I have had it for around 80% of a year.
Edit:It works with games. If i hold w the w key stays pressed.
Old 16th February, 2005, 08:05 AM
Steve Jobs

Logitech's wireless equipment is brillaint, just like their corded range, especially the mx series. I use an mx700 and mx1000 with a logitech cordless keyboard deluxe on both and I have never had an issue, the 700 is almost 2 years old and its original NiMH batteries are brilliant as ever, never run out of juice. ever. the keyboards go 4-6 months per set of el cheapo batteries. Over 6 months on a set of high end ones. Swiss hardware is just like a swiss watch. Sits there year in, year out doing what its damn well told to do without complaining
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:17 PM

Well I still havent got it to work, Guess I am going to have to sell it on ebay or something and get my self a Logitech set
Maxtor ATA 160GB + 120GB
Old 24th February, 2005, 01:07 AM
AOA Staff

I have a DVD-ROM drive here which does not play DVD-ROM's by design! There's a note stating this on TEAC's website.

Sometimes we get caught out...
Old 24th February, 2005, 01:52 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Change the batteries. If that doesn't help take the batteries out overnight and then install fresh one.

I switched to Microsoft after killing 2 Logitech Keyboards. I have had this problem befor also. It also had a problem typing capitol letters. Taking the batteries out overnight solved it.

BTW:
When I first switched from logitech to Microsoft I never uninstalled the logitech drivers before installing Microsoft drivers (I use a Logitech trackball and Microsoft keyboard, both wireless) and it hosed my system so bad I had to repartition, reformat, reinstall. Since then I have never installed drivers for wireless and it still works fine with limited loss of functionallity that I would never use anyway.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.