AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th April, 2005, 01:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Question memory backwards compatibility?

hi all,
a few weeks ago in one of my other posts, someone told me about memory being backwards compatible. I never investigated it properly and i would like to know if it is true. I currently have a motherboard that accepts PC1600/PC2100 DDR-RAM and i have 1 256MB module in it. I have one more DDR-RAM slot available and i have seen some 256MB PC3200 184pin DDR Memory (it's the last one on that page) at OCUK. It's OCUK value but it is very cheap at only £15.22 including VAT. I'm not bothered about the brand, as long as it works how it should. would i be able to use the memory specified above in my computer?

Thanks,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th April, 2005, 02:11 PM
Member/Contributer

Yes you can run ddr memory slower than it is rated, you will also get much tighter timings on it as well though if it's being added to a system with memory already installed this probably won't apply.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th April, 2005, 02:17 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

you may hove to install the single stick, set up the tmings and such to the same as the other two, and then install the second after you save your bios settings.
Old 24th April, 2005, 03:05 PM

Right, that's what i'm going to do then. I'll have 512Mb then which will be just what i need since i've started building games (compiling the goldrush map from enemy territory into a single direct X 8 game! i ran out of memory last time and it went to the pagefile so i just cancelled it). I never realised i could get OEM memory THAT cheap, one more thing to add to the budget mod then.

Thanks.

Old 24th April, 2005, 03:16 PM

what's even better is that if you buy hte right cheap stuff, you get pc4000, or sometimes better.

look for sticks like this attached pic. the pcb is the important part...it will allow for higher frequncies than any other pcb on the market. AS well, if you can, look for chips that go all the way to the top of the pcb, two concentric circles(not ovals) on the IC's themselves, and two metaldots sticking out of either end.

this cheap stuff i am running right now(and have been for a few weeks now) @ 247mhz 2-2-2-5-7-15-2-2-1-2 CPC on. The downside is that it takes 3.2v, but they run 2-3-2-6-7-15-2-2-2-2- cpc on 2.75v(maybe lower, still haven't really tested @ lower volts). Those are my sticks, but if you can get sticks with IC's that reach the top of the pcb...you can get 2-2-2-5 @ 2.75v, sometimes less.
Attached Thumbnails
memory backwards compatibility?-ram-004.jpg  
Old 24th April, 2005, 04:25 PM
Member/Contributer

It might be worth if you can stretch to it going for a 512mb imm, it's a tenner more (from overclockers.co.uk in the specials section) but that way if and when you upgrade your motherboard you can stick that in and possibly another dimm the same size

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 26th April, 2005, 08:46 PM

damn, this week only, i'm only going to have about a tenner on thursday which is when it runs out on their offer. Ah well, i'll just get another 256Mb ATM and then upgrade to 1Gb at christmas (long time away i know but i don't earn anything, i just save dinner money when i can). Often, the cheap stuff is just as good as a branded equivalent. I'll obviously be buying some heatspreaders from ebuyer, then i might upgrade those to the thermaltake led modded ones to keep with a modded feel. I will be sorting out some wire management for my molex wires in the next few days, possibly just some tiewraps tied to the hd cage. It's going to be a big year for my computer but i bet that i'm still left behind after all the upgrading, guess i'll just do it again next year. But i will have a reasonable gaming rig this year, should be able to play some recent games. I may even decide to go 64-bit (next year).

Old 26th April, 2005, 08:55 PM

i'll sell ya the thermaltake ones for cheap like borscht. But you don't want them, trust me.

Memory does not NEED heatspreaders...TCCD do, sometimes, but you will get just as effective cooling by placing a fan over them.
Old 27th April, 2005, 06:27 PM

i'm doing it mainly to protect them from static when i perform maintenance on the mobo. It's really a safety measure, they don't really get that hot, i know.

Old 27th April, 2005, 06:28 PM

The LED's on the thermaltake stick run quite hot, and transfer heat to the mem. Pls don't buy the thermaltake ones. regular set will cost you half as much as the thermaltake ones with lights. You can see the thermaltake ones in my avatar, kind of.
Old 27th April, 2005, 06:33 PM

oh yeah, ok, i'll just get some standard black ebuyer ones to stay with my theme of red and black.

Old 28th April, 2005, 01:09 AM
Member/Contributer

it if weren't for the fact those ebuyer heatspreaders only cost less than a pound then I would say don't bother, but they can't hurt unless tey are really low quality and don't actually make full contact with the memory chips which I've seen some do

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah