AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2005, 10:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Hoppster

WHAT Brand OF RAM?

Thinkin of upgrading to 2GB

Battlefields driving me to it

I have found some cheap
1024 MB DDR RAM; PC-3200; 400MHz; 184-pin
Brand is Elixar

Is this a good brand?
2 x 200GB Western Digital
Dual Boot XP32 bit Home Edition
Vista Beta 2 Release 5308 64 bit

"You cant help a bit of bad luck now and again"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2005, 03:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You might see if this brand of RAM is listed at www.pricewatch.com . It's a start, anyroad.
Old 17th September, 2005, 03:44 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppster

I have found some cheap
Brand is Elixar

Is this a good brand?

Crucial value 4x512mb...

if you look hard enough, you'll find single-sided 512mb sticks with Micron 5b-D chips on them. I highly recommend.

Hoinestly, you've got winbond based sticks, or UTT, TCCD based sticks, (TCC5, TCCC, UCCC, ETC), and micron. there's infineon and elpida chips as well, but stay away from those.
Old 23rd September, 2005, 03:03 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Aren't mainboards that can handle four sticks of RAM mighty rare these days? Personally, I'd buy two 1 Gb sticks if I wanted 2 Gigs of RAM in my box.
Old 23rd September, 2005, 03:30 PM

No. Most ATX boards have four DIMM slots.
Old 25th September, 2005, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

my GEIL's haven't give me any problems. yet. i have 2 sticks of 512 double sided (me thinks) pc-3500.

i'd concentrate more on the bandwidth so go as high as 4500's if possible. i think 2 gigs is a waste. but you want to get 2 sticks to enable and harness the power of the dual channel.
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2005, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Crucial.com makes some extremely high-quality RAM and they've got some of the best customer service I've ever encountered in a company. The pricing of their memory is competitive, but I'm sure you could find much cheaper. It seems that because Crucial.com (some sort of division of Micron) makes the RAM they sell, they are very eager to support their product and make sure the customer is happy with it. It's worth at least checking out.

For reference, I ordered my RAM (maybe 9 months ago) and it came with free two-day UPS shipping. I checked the mail early the next day and it was already in the mailbox, not 24 hours after I had placed the order. That is by FAR the quickest turnaround time I have ever had on an internet order.
Old 25th September, 2005, 10:46 PM

I like crucial - bought from them several times including all builds for sale (reliability and past experience over anything else),
v quick (UK) delivery and got free farcry last time (already had it but sold on easy enough )

Never gone as far as two gig though - woah that is extreme!!! Sounds fun but beyond my needs/budget
Old 25th September, 2005, 11:26 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Kingmax Hardcore series DDR500 go well to.I got 2x 512Mb for about AU$170.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 26th September, 2005, 12:10 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne

Never gone as far as two gig though - woah that is extreme!!! Sounds fun but beyond my needs/budget
Not really, these days. If you fold and run BF2 or any mem intense game along with a couple of apps running in the background. I currently run 1.5 gig without a hitch.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 26th September, 2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Not really, these days. If you fold and run BF2 or any mem intense game along with a couple of apps running in the background. I currently run 1.5 gig without a hitch.
Im not disagreeing with you -
But Ive not long ago upgraded to 1 gig DDR (2.512 PC4000) (from 2.256 PC2700) - not had this much since the old PC133 modules; so Im still enjoying/feeling the benefit of this at the moment.

I have 2 gig memory and other upgrades to look forward to.
Old 26th September, 2005, 06:44 PM

Crucial Ballistix, XMS line, but if you dont want to spend a ton, go for PDP ...
here's a prime example....

If you have 4 DIMM's...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220018

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220036

I've used XMS and PDP, both in the same rig, the only difference real world I can see is MAYBE 20-50 points in 3Dmark03...
Old 26th September, 2005, 06:51 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I upgraded myself to 2gigs this past summer... I run apps that are major resourse hogs, so I could tell the difference quite easily, and am very happy with the improvements.

I bought Corsair Value Select dual channel kit. I believe the SPD was 2.5-3-3-8, and they overclocked quite easily to 240mhz 3.0-3-3-8. Do not buy 2 single sticks of 1gig. You are much better off buying a dual channel kit since at least you get some confidence of running dual channel, and the mfgr will guarantee dual channel operation. Mine were a very good value, and the tight timings were not that important to me. Good luck.
Old 26th September, 2005, 06:54 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppster

I have found some cheap
Brand is Elixar

Is this a good brand?
Avoid Elixar and Elixir (they had spelling mistakes on some of their products) as they are designed to barely meet their standard specs, and sometimes dont. My DDR400 CAS 2.5 Elixar/Elixir ram for my linux box (512X2) wouldnt run CAS 2.5 in a single channel KT333 board, let alone a dual channel A64.

It took 2.8V to reach a stable DDR400 speed at CAS 3. That is pathetic. I had some DDR266 from them in the past as well, that was rated at CAS 2, but barely made CAS 2.5 without extra voltage, and ended up failing just outside of warranty.

That stuff has all fallen off the back of a truck. Thats why its so cheap.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 26th September, 2005, 08:37 PM

Elixir Scan Ram comes highly reccomended in CustomPC. In fact, it was awarded their coveted Premium Award.
Just saying.