AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2006, 02:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

NVidia IDE Drivers

Hi all,
Today, while i was experimenting with my programming skills, i realised that my NForce ethernet wasn't installed (HD became corrupt a few weeks ago, yada yada yada...). So i went to install it again. While it was installing, i was asked if i wanted to install the NVidia IDE drivers, which promise that it'll make your computer more efficient. Efficiency is always a good thing when it involves an overclocked system. So i went ahead and installed it. When i rebooted, i was presented with a system tray baloon dialog telling em that it had found some new devices; my drives. So all was going well...until i clicked something. Anything to be more precise. The system hung. My precious computer hung on me and wouldn't do anything. I tried restarting, restarting about 20 times actually. At this point, i'd already kicked the computer 7 times. But, i found a way to remove them, and for anyone who may experience this problem, i recommend printing these instructions.

=======================================
Windows XP (SP2) NVidia IDE Driver Removal instructions
=======================================
1) First, make sure your computer is switched off.
2) Press the power button on the computer.
3) When the boot screen of Windows appears, press the restart button.
4) The system should start to boot again. You will be presented with 4 or 5 options to choose from. Select "Safe Mode".
5) When the computer has booted, go to "Control Panel" and select "Add/Remove Software".
6) Once the list has been populated, scroll down until you get to "NVidia Drivers".
7) Click the "Change/Remove" button and you will be presented with a dialog. From the radio buttons, choose "Remove only these drivers:".
8)From the listbox, select "NVidia IDE Drivers" and click OK.
9)Once the removal has been completed, you will be asked if you would like to restart, it's your choice whether you want to but i recommend selecting "yes".
10) The computer should restart and boot into windows. That's it! Your system is safe.

I don't know if this will be any use to anyone, but it's always here if you need it.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2006, 04:23 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's hard to say "no" when presented with a choice like this. Thank you for the information, skool h8r!
Old 14th May, 2006, 04:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Wow. That's very odd, skool_h8r. I've used the nVidia IDE drivers on several of my machines, across several reloads, without any problems.

Thanks for the info, though. Good to know there's a way to recover if things get really hosed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2006, 11:04 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

You can just press F8 when windows is starting to get to safe mode. Just alittle bit quicker saves you one button press.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah