AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th February, 2007, 10:34 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Monitors

Went from my 17' CRT to my 17' TFT last week as I had a crapload of writing to do, and this week I went back to my CRT again.

And dayummmnn the CRT is so much nicer for image quality!

I think you TFT boys might have got it wrong. And I really hope the 22' CRTs drop in price soon, they look very tasty

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2007, 11:23 PM
Member/Contributer

I still haven't bothered going to tft yet.

Firstly cost. Yes my 19" iiyama was £230 3 years ago, but tft's of similar size and lower quality image are the same still. And I picked up a second monitor recentally for £20 and this ones a 21" dell with a trinitron tube. It's not a true flat but you don't notice at all in use.

Then there's the image quality. Games, videos and photo's all look nicer.

I will go for a tft eventually. The lower power requirements and widescreen format are very tempting but I'll always have a crt to compliment it.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2007, 12:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I just picked up a tft at work. I have a 21" Sony trinitron at home. I have to say that the image quality of my Sony blows the panel away. I don't think the lcd technology is great up close.
Old 9th February, 2007, 04:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Agreed! I only went 19" LCD because a 19" CRT is too dang heavy to horse around anymore.
Old 9th February, 2007, 05:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've been using a 17" LCD for quite a while now, and I love it. Of course, my needs are different from a lot of you guys, because I program.

The big advantage an LCD has over a CRT, from my perspective, is consistency of display over time.

As a CRT ages, it loses its ability to keep the beam tightly focused. This happens because the phosphors age, and over time become less efficient at converting the energy of the electron beam into light. When this happens, people increase the brightness of the monitor to compensate. This causes two things:
  1. The image becomes 'washed out' as the brightness is turned up higher and higher
  2. The beam becomes more and more powerful, and the beam forming electronics loses more and more control, and ability to tightly focus the image, resulting in the image becoming 'fuzzy', particularly at the edges and corners.

In addition, CRTs inherently suffer from an inability to provide consistent focus over the entire face of the tube. Flat-Square designs suffer from this problem the most, although modern deflection and dynamic focus circuits do a great deal to minimize it.

LCDs do not suffer from these problems, and that makes them superior for my use.

Last edited by Gizmo; 9th February, 2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old 9th February, 2007, 09:30 AM
Member/Contributer

LCD's do rule when it comes to geometry. And lugging a 21" and 19" about will certainly put hairs on your back.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th February, 2007, 10:19 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Im still using a 19" gnr monitor, not the best but it has good bright colour for gaming.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 9th February, 2007, 10:27 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

I'm still using my 17'' CRT, which i run in dual screen with a 15'' TFT. The 15'' would never be good enough for running anything which needs good image quality such as gaming but the CRT is more than capable of anything i display on it.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 9th February, 2007, 06:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Whatever floats your boat. Yet a side by side comparison of a medium quality CRT and the best TFT in the world leaves the CRT ahead by a country mile. IMHO, of course. Perhaps five weather balloons attached to the monitor would make a ~20" CRT more bearable in the weight department?
Old 9th February, 2007, 06:50 PM
AOA Staff

How about a new Samsung TFT with 3000:1 contrast ratio and a 2ms response?
Old 9th February, 2007, 06:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I went from a 22 inch Sony to a 19inch TFT. Would never go back. Reading Gizmo's post I willing to say it was an older CRT when replaced.

Personally I much prefer the TFT display. But that seems to gather little enthusiasm here. ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 9th February, 2007, 06:53 PM
Member/Contributer

It wouldn't be so bad if there was some way of getting a good hold on it but it's like the atlas stones in strongmen contests, more the shape than the weight that makes it a pain

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th February, 2007, 06:58 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
How about a new Samsung TFT with 3000:1 contrast ratio and a 2ms response?
Is that an actual contrast level or is it shifting the contrast levels dynamically. I've read a review I think of a philips that did this and it wasn't a highly rated feature.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th February, 2007, 12:37 AM
AOA Staff

Just dynamic contrast, AFAIK.
Old 10th February, 2007, 02:24 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Doesn't a CRT refresh the pixels 1000 times faster? I'm not knocking TFT's, what you run is your choice. I have two LCD's, but if large CRT's only weighed twice as much as a TFT, I'd use CRT's.
Old 10th February, 2007, 02:28 AM
AOA Staff

CRTs don't really refresh pixels, they refresh the whole screen and faster than the human eye, at the higher refresh rates.
Old 10th February, 2007, 07:25 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

TFT's only change what actually changes in the image each refresh (which is still 75 times a second on most tft's. This to me is much better as it just doesnt flicker ever. CRTS's you have to run at 75Hz+ to just avoid flicker.

What is it that you say makes a crt's image quality better ?

I find tft's to be brighter, sharper, better contrast ratio, show more detail, and have a completly uniform picture (no need to spend hours fiddling with geometry settings)

I do have to agree with Gizmo's points of having to turn the brightness up, the last few crt's i've had, i've been maxing out the brightness setting and yet it would still be darker, more washed out than my tft.

I made the switch at home a couple of years ago, and just made the switch at work after loathing using a crt for 6 months they finally gave me a budget 17" tft which is just so much easier to use for 10 hours a day

Last edited by keithwalton; 10th February, 2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10th February, 2007, 08:31 AM
Member/Contributer

The colours and general contrast/brightness on a crt is far superior. And as good as response times are getting motion still looks smoother vs most tft's

As for the refresh rate my eyes hurt at anything less than 100hz but any decent crt will offer this.

Geometry is a real nightmare though. I hate calibrting them as it's a game of cat and mouse when first getting it set up. You get one side of the screen staight and the other is pincussioned. You solve that and the corners don't fill the screen but hey, isn't this fiddling about to attain perfection what computers are all about

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th February, 2007, 04:37 PM
AOA Staff

CRTs are not brighter than LCDs.

Typical brigtness of an LCD is 300 nits compared to 100 nits on a CRT.

Any boost to brightness on a CRT causes a glow effect which counters the advantage of a higher resolution and generally softens the image. Of course, some people do prefer the softer look.

Last edited by danrok; 10th February, 2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10th February, 2007, 04:43 PM

I prefer TFTs. I will never go back. A CRT is fine....if you insist....

But a high quality LCD panel will blow you away, I have no doubt about that. My 17" AG Neovo has absolutely no problem with colour. The colours are sensational. And there really isn't a problem with brightness......it is far brighter than any CRT I've ever used.
What I've got was considered high end a year or two ago yet already TFTs at the same price are even better. I think some of you would change your minds if you actually had to use a, say, £450 LCD for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]