AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th August, 2007, 12:41 AM

Power Supply question/problem.

Alright guys lets see if someone cant help me here. My computer has been being a major PITA lately and im wondering if it is for sure the power supply or not. What it is doing, and has been doing, is not turning on. Since i built it i have been having to occasionally flip the power supply off, hold the pc power button to drain it and turn the power supply back on for it to get power. Now it takes me 20min of screwing with it to get it to start when it crashes and it crashes at night more often than i like. The power supply is a 450w coolmax that i bought for 30bux 2 years ago and my machine is not very demanding:

3700+ san deigo running at 2.6 (2.2 stock)
Epox 9nda3+ with 2gigs ddr400 pc3200 ram
Radeon x850pe oced
2 ide disk drives, 1 HD, SB audigy, 1000mbs Network card, and 4 led fans.
If i remember correctly the light/fan flicker when power supply is turned on means short somewhere but i have taken it apart and inspected and reassembled everything correctly so unless a component is defective it must be the power supply. . . Am i correct in my thinking? I am honestly suprised the power supply lasted as long as it has and i am hoping it is the problem. Anybody have any other ideas or is a safe assumtion that it is the PSU and not the MB? thanks, Rob.
Old 15th August, 2007, 02:12 AM
Member/Contributer

When you try and power it, does the PSU fan come on?

If not, then PSU, if they do it could be something else, but still could be power problems.

Also check the capacitors on your motherboard, see if any are leaking or swollen - bulge on top, they should be nice and flat

From memory there is a thread on how to replace the caps on either you MB or one similar.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 15th August, 2007 at 02:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th August, 2007, 02:17 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, robbiesurfrien!
450W may be too little, or maybe it's just tired after two years? Did it come with a three year warranty by any chance?
Old 16th August, 2007, 02:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Agree that this supply seems a little thin for the job.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!