AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th October, 2007, 11:22 PM
AOA Staff

Vinyl may be final nail in CD's coffin

Quote:
"For many of us, and certainly for many of our artists, the vinyl is the true version of the release," said Matador's Patrick Amory. "The size and presence of the artwork, the division into sides, the better sound quality, above all the involvement and work the listener has to put in, all make it the format of choice for people who really care about music."
From the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/3411/1/
Old 30th October, 2007, 04:30 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

There's no doubt in my mind: well cared-for vinyl, on a good table with a good stylus has superior audio quality to anything else that I'VE listened to (with the possible exception of reel-to-reel). Unfortunately, the above criteria are not easy to meet: CDs are much more portable and somewhat more durable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th October, 2007, 05:51 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Vinly would make it very hard for the home user to burn copies. Wonder how long it will take for the music industry to figure that out?
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th October, 2007, 11:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I remember having my entire music collection on vinyl when I was young.

I have always sadi that there is something missing from all the digital formats. Music was never meant to be digital. It loses the warmth or something. Any way. I made plenty of recording from vinyl. Use the output to a tape input. I am sure with all the digital hardware out there, it would be nothing to rip from an LP. I have done it lately to take cassetts and burn them to CDs.
Old 30th October, 2007, 02:39 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

My soundcard even has an RIAA equalised input on for vinyl...
Old 30th October, 2007, 03:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

That is sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
My soundcard even has an RIAA equalised input on for vinyl...
Old 30th October, 2007, 06:28 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
There's no doubt in my mind: well cared-for vinyl, on a good table with a good stylus has superior audio quality to anything else that I'VE listened to (with the possible exception of reel-to-reel). Unfortunately, the above criteria are not easy to meet: CDs are much more portable and somewhat more durable.
So long as you can find a suitable amplifier for a turntable.

How about this one?
Accustic Arts Amp III Amplifier

Old 30th October, 2007, 06:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Alright, now 9,400 quid for an audio amp is just too much, even if it IS a nice amp.

And 240,000 µF of power supply filter caps?! That suggests that the power supply section is a straight linear unit. While I'm all for old school, that's just uncalled for. There's no reason you can't build a good switcher in this day and age and keep the switching noise out of the audio. Basically, that box is built for stupid people with more money than brains, IMO.
Old 30th October, 2007, 06:54 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Alright, now 9,400 quid for an audio amp is just too much, even if it IS a nice amp.

And 240,000 µF of power supply filter caps?! That suggests that the power supply section is a straight linear unit. While I'm all for old school, that's just uncalled for. There's no reason you can't build a good switcher in this day and age and keep the switching noise out of the audio. Basically, that box is built for stupid people with more money than brains, IMO.
It's the equivilent to a million dollar sports car. Complete waste of money.
Old 31st October, 2007, 09:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

As much as I loathe the RIAA as an organisation, the RIAA "curve" is a thing of beauty.
Old 1st November, 2007, 12:11 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I wouldn't quite go as far as a thing of "beauty", but the emphesis performed helps to improve the response of vinyl. There's also an enhanced RIAA curve...
Old 7th November, 2007, 03:19 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

From a use less oil standpoint, records lose. I think they sound better too.