AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th September, 2001, 01:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally posted by reddeathdrinker

I can't get the link............Can anyone else get it?
I checked it b4 I posted it. Seems to work ok.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2001, 02:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
The mod isn't listed for a card with Tv out on it
It wouldn't be. The TV out is a function of the second output on the Geforce 2MX/Quadro MXR chips, not a function of resistors.

All Geforce 2MX chips have two outputs. The cards without TV Out just don't have the circuitry to produce a video signal from either of the outputs.

Áedán
Old 27th September, 2001, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán

Why does having VIVO on your card stop you doing the mod? From what I understand VO doesn't make any difference, as the Quadro MXR still supports two outputs. The VI may well be taken care of by a different chip, as AFAIK, the Geforce series have no VI hardware of their own.

Be aware, as the author of the article wasn't, that board revisions happen frequently, so any documented resistors to change may not apply to your board!

Áedán
TV out shoud have no bearing on this mod. As Áedán said this circuitry is always there on all GF2 cards. At least the chip supports dual display. The tv out is a seperate circuit and should have no effect on the mod at all. As long as you find you card manufacturer, this should work. Be aware, soldering on any electronic part could damage it. Watch your heat and be sure to guard against static.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2001, 04:03 PM

Thanks guys now all I need to do is find the parts I need to do this or maybe I'll get someone else to do it for me.

AMD XP 1700+ @ 1639mhz (Bad vid card can't hold high FSB)
Epox 8hka+
Aska Silver Mtn 40ºC full load folding 24/7
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Old 27th September, 2001, 04:26 PM

Quote:
. As long as you find you card manufacturer, this should work. Be aware, soldering on any electronic part could damage it. Watch your heat and be sure to guard against static.
I'd be careful with just the board manufacturer. A lot of people were posting on Tweekhardware's forums because the instructions for their board didn't match the board they had. Manufacturers have a habit of revising the board layout to try and make production cheaper. The Abit Siluro G2MX I have isn't a reference design, but the earlier ones were.

As a quick note, most semiconductors pins aren't designed to tolerate more than about 5 seconds at a maximum of 300C, using a low voltage grounded soldering iron!

The likelihood is that you'll have to figure out the pins on your GFX card yourself. It is possible, you just need time and patience!

Áedán
Old 27th September, 2001, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán

I'd be careful with just the board manufacturer. A lot of people were posting on Tweekhardware's forums because the instructions for their board didn't match the board they had. Manufacturers have a habit of revising the board layout to try and make production cheaper. The Abit Siluro G2MX I have isn't a reference design, but the earlier ones were.

As a quick note, most semiconductors pins aren't designed to tolerate more than about 5 seconds at a maximum of 300C, using a low voltage grounded soldering iron!

The likelihood is that you'll have to figure out the pins on your GFX card yourself. It is possible, you just need time and patience!

Áedán
Very good point, thanks for covering my butt on that....
Old 29th September, 2001, 12:33 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I was all hot and bothered to get a GF 2 MX-400. Now I'm not so sure. I've seen reviews of three of them, two were cheapies but one was ~$105, made by Elsa. The kicker is that these 64 Mb cards BM'd a whopping ~12-15% better than my olde 32 Mb Elsa GF 256.

I need to get a new Vidcard, nonetheless. This GF 256 sucks power like a big dog and it's HOT, too.

At this point, the Kyro II looks very interesting. Can anyone that's had hands- on with the Hercules- Guillemot yadda 4500 tell us if it's worth the money? Thanks!
Old 29th September, 2001, 02:57 AM

You can get a GF2 Mx 400 for about 65 bucks on pricewatch. For that price it is worth the money. I have one and love it....
Old 29th September, 2001, 08:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

i got a kyro II yesterday.. to upgrade from an mx400. when i've installed it, there'll be benchies!

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 29th September, 2001, 04:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'd really appreciate that, proze!
Old 30th September, 2001, 09:07 AM

well, the benchmarks have been carried out and documented, and are here for your viewing pleasure.

the ut results for the kyro are too low judging from other online reviews, but i'm still in the process of bios and driver upgrades. maybe that will help.

i've tested the card with the following games, and it runs great:

-operation flashpoint
-quake III arena
-unreal tournament
-nfs5 porsche challenge
-max payne

hope this helps you with your decision.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 30th September, 2001, 09:13 AM

something i forgot to mention, but that has really impressed me, is the image quality of the kyro II. both 2d and 3d images look a lot better than on the mx400. i wouldn't say night-and-day difference, but there's a big difference! things just look a lot crisper and cleaer.. basically better!

also, operation flashpoint and max payne didn't seem to suffer from the lack of a hardware t&l unit. run 'em both at 1280*1024*32! yay!

Old 30th September, 2001, 11:29 AM

Congrats on the new purchase proze. Looks like you made the right call! How did you get the Kyro to score higher in Mark01 than the mx? I didn't see mention of what drivers you used. Any specific changes in settings?
Old 30th September, 2001, 11:51 AM

I think this tells us something we already know.... The Geforce 2 MX sucks in 32bit. (;

Nice work.

Áedán
Old 30th September, 2001, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by proze
something i forgot to mention, but that has really impressed me, is the image quality of the kyro II. both 2d and 3d images look a lot better than on the mx400. i wouldn't say night-and-day difference, but there's a big difference! things just look a lot crisper and cleaer.. basically better!

also, operation flashpoint and max payne didn't seem to suffer from the lack of a hardware t&l unit. run 'em both at 1280*1024*32! yay!
If I may Sir, what did you pay for the Kyro II? It seems more in the price range of the GF2 GTS rather than the GF2 MX.

*EDIT* Never mind. I found them. It seems that they are comparable to the GF2 MX in price. (kicking self) I just picked up and MX 400 not too long ago.

Last edited by Samuknow; 30th September, 2001 at 01:44 PM.
Old 30th September, 2001, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Congrats on the new purchase proze. Looks like you made the right call! How did you get the Kyro to score higher in Mark01 than the mx? I didn't see mention of what drivers you used. Any specific changes in settings?
thanks! dunno about 3dmark, man. i just loaded the drivers off the CD and ran the benchmarks, in exactly the same sequence with the same button clicks as for the mx400. no tweaks, apart from to switch vsync off. it was also off for the mx. those drivers are dated June this year. since then i've downloaded the latest hercules kyro II drivers, and am running them on my apollo kyro II. they work perfectly, but no changes though...

i've also found out something about the unreal tourney thing... if i play at 1024*768*32, my avg framerate never drops below 100fps!!! at 1280*1024*32 it always above 70fps!!! seems like UTbench really brings a PC to its knees! this card kicks some serious a$$ in ut!

as for how much the card cost... two things make that irrelevant for most peeps here. 1. i'm in south africa. 2. it was on special where i bought it. i got it and a duron 750 for ZAR995~US$110. i've already sold the duron for ZAR400, so it's costing me about ZAR600. and i still have the mx to sell! all in all a good deal!

Tags
geforce 2