AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th September, 2001, 04:05 AM

GeForce2 MX400

I am getting almost 60fps in Quake3 with these setting. I used time demo 1 as a test. Is this good I haven't even OCed the card yet so its all stock.

Ohh yea I am using the new 21.81 drivers for 9x
Attached Thumbnails
GeForce2 MX400-q3a.gif  

AMD XP 1700+ @ 1639mhz (Bad vid card can't hold high FSB)
Epox 8hka+
Aska Silver Mtn 40ºC full load folding 24/7
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2001, 05:12 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

That sounds good, I got similar scores with my stock MX-400 way back then. I ran everything default.
Old 25th September, 2001, 05:16 AM
Banned

Those are really good results, congrats... work in progress .
Old 25th September, 2001, 12:50 PM

Yea I just wish it wasn't friging sdram is their anyway to chane the ram lol

I will OC it here sometime in the future and see what I get out of it then.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2001, 02:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

Not really any way of changing SDRAM to DDR I'm afraid. Go for a card with DDR memory chips next time you upgrade. I'm going from an MX 400 to Radeon 64Meg DDR........

*edit* Excellent fps BTW......
Old 25th September, 2001, 07:47 PM

I was joking about the ram reddeathdrinker I know their isn't a way to do that.

Is their a hack for the MX 400 to change to quatro though. I think this is a question for andy or unseen.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 26th September, 2001, 03:12 AM

Bump can you hack a MX400 into a quatro or anything of that nature? Like hacking it into a pro?

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 26th September, 2001, 03:18 AM
Banned

dunno, the hacks are pretty manufacturer specific. Although Nvidia standardized a lot of its components/fabrication, the resistors that need to be modified can be found in different spots on different cards.

When I was looking for a hack of a card I owned, google.com returned some helpful results .
Old 26th September, 2001, 11:30 AM

Couldn't find anything in english most stuff it in german of french or some other language. Ohhh well maybe someone will know.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 26th September, 2001, 01:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Not really any way of changing SDRAM to DDR I'm afraid. Go for a card with DDR memory chips next time you upgrade. I'm going from an MX 400 to Radeon 64Meg DDR.
I thought that when you went from SDR to DDR, you went from a 128bit bus to a 64bit bus, thereby making the DDR completely pointless. THG seems to suggest the same thing - quote from them: "Unfortunately, NVIDIA limits the DDR interface to 64-bit instead of the standard 128-bit, so that the cards with 64-bit DDR cannot perform faster than models with 128-bit SDR. "

If that's the case, what's the point in using DDR?

Quote:
can you hack a MX400 into a quatro or anything of that nature? Like hacking it into a pro?
You can't physically hack the card into a pro, as there's silicon missing! I believe you can hack the card into a Quatro2 MXR however, but I've never tried with an MX400.

You'd need to locate the flash on the card and see if you can locate any resistors connected to pins 18/19 on the flash. Both pins should be connected to ground (0v). The resistors need to be connected to 3.3v instead.

Áedán
Old 26th September, 2001, 02:34 PM

A: the DDR was a joke.
B: You can hack a Pro into a quatro by connecting pins on the board or something like that.
So if you can do that on a PRO it could be that you might be able to do something sort of like that on a Mx400.

Quote:

You'd need to locate the flash on the card and see if you can locate any resistors connected to pins 18/19 on the flash. Both pins should be connected to ground (0v). The resistors need to be connected to 3.3v instead.
I'd like to see a url on this so I can try to see if I can do it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán

I thought that when you went from SDR to DDR, you went from a 128bit bus to a 64bit bus, thereby making the DDR completely pointless. THG seems to suggest the same thing - quote from them: "Unfortunately, NVIDIA limits the DDR interface to 64-bit instead of the standard 128-bit, so that the cards with 64-bit DDR cannot perform faster than models with 128-bit SDR. "

If that's the case, what's the point in using DDR?

You can't physically hack the card into a pro, as there's silicon missing! I believe you can hack the card into a Quatro2 MXR however, but I've never tried with an MX400.

Áedán

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 26th September, 2001, 02:47 PM

Quote:
B: You can hack a Pro into a quatro by connecting pins on the board or something like that.
So if you can do that on a PRO it could be that you might be able to do something sort of like that on a Mx400.
Indeed, it is true. AFAIK, every nvidia chip since the TNT2 has had the ID pins. The TNT2 only allowed you to change the TNT2 type (and hence the core speed). All of the Geforce cards can be converted to equivelent "Quadro" cards. Alas, the output filters on a lot of the Geforce cards just don't cut it. ):

I'll have to write an article on how to identify and remove the low-pass filter from Geforce cards. One day. (;

Áedán
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:40 PM

Well thats rather kick a$$ man I'll be waiting on that.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 26th September, 2001, 10:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have a URL somewhere for mving 2 resistors on the MX to make it think it's a Quatro.....I will look for it...
Old 26th September, 2001, 11:57 PM

Whoooo hooo thanks sam you rawk. They use to be on andy's site that is no more.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 27th September, 2001, 02:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally posted by AmbientFiction
Whoooo hooo thanks sam you rawk. They use to be on andy's site that is no more.

http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/

Try this
Old 27th September, 2001, 03:21 AM

That sucks I have TV in out on my card and guess what I can't do it because of that I'll post in their fourms and see what I get back from them on it.

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
Old 27th September, 2001, 09:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuknow

http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/

Try this
I can't get the link............Can anyone else get it?
Old 27th September, 2001, 10:05 AM

Quote:
That sucks I have TV in out on my card and guess what I can't do it because of that I'll post in their fourms and see what I get back from them on it.
Why does having VIVO on your card stop you doing the mod? From what I understand VO doesn't make any difference, as the Quadro MXR still supports two outputs. The VI may well be taken care of by a different chip, as AFAIK, the Geforce series have no VI hardware of their own.

Be aware, as the author of the article wasn't, that board revisions happen frequently, so any documented resistors to change may not apply to your board!

Áedán
Old 27th September, 2001, 12:48 PM

The mod isn't listed for a card with Tv out on it

Epox 8hka+
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm

Tags
geforce 2