AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th March, 2003, 05:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to ayankdownunder

Electrical people please advise

Hi,

I have a Palit Daytona Geforce 3 Ti200 128mb Card. I have some really wild cooling that involves a 3 pieces of an Athlon XP CPU cooler and an 80mm FAN with some thermal epoxy. I looked up the Voltage chip in goolgle and I got this.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ca...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Please let me know what I need to do to up the chip and ram voltages. I realize that soldering and resistors will be involved.

Thanks,
Nick
(Died March 6th 2003)Athlon 1700+ @ 2.1Ghz (2600+) (10x210) 1.92V. 512mb Corsair XMS 3500 2-2-2-4 2.9V Active Nbridge cooling, Active Mosfet cooling, passive Sbridge cooling. 4 Antec "Blue" case fans. Volcano 9 with Sunon 80mm High CFM fan. Antec True Power Blue 480W PSU. Geforce 3 Ti200 128mb.

"New Machine" IBM 300pl 300mhz Celeron!
384mb ram, 2mb video card 3gig hard drive.. Red Hat 7.2 LOL NO SHAME!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2003, 11:40 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The regulator you're looking is actually two regulators inside a single package. Obviously I don't know which regulator is connected to which supply lines. In all probability, one will feed the GPU and one will feed the RAM supply.

Both regulators work by examining the voltage appearing across their feedback pins (FB1 and FB2) and comparing it to a reference.

The feedback network consists of two resistors (IE, a resistor divider) connected between the output voltage and the ground. Hence, you want to alter the resistance of one of the two resistors. Decreasing the resistance is easier than increasing the resistance, so you probably want to decrease the resistance of the lower of the two resistors in the feedback network. (IE, the resistor connecting the FB1/FB2 pin to ground) You'd need to locate and measure the resistance of these resistors, in order to work out what size variable resistors you need.

However, just to screw things around a bit, one of the voltage regulators has over voltage protection. This is derived from the reference voltage internally, and changes the state of a pin when the voltage goes over 120% of the reference. If the PGood pin on the regulator isn't used, then it's not likely to be an issue. If the PGood pin is actually used for something, then you may have issues, and may require extra divider resistors to drop the voltage sense pin down to a place where the regulator is happy.

So, what you need to do is:
  • Measure the existing voltages on both halves of the regulator.
  • Locate the feedback network resistors for both halves of the voltage regulator.
  • Measure the resistance of the lower half of each feedback network.
  • Obtain two variable resistors suitable for "bypassing" the lower resistor
  • Check the VSen pin and the PGood pin to see if you need to modify the VSen input circuitry at all.
  • Solder your variable resistors in place across the lower resistor, with the resistance set as high as possible.
  • Check your work.
  • Hook up a multimeter to read the voltages, and power the card up.
  • Check voltages are not significantly different to those in the first step!

That's pretty much the basics of modifying a voltage regulator. Your case is a little more complex due to over voltage protection and the dual nature of the regulator in use.

Áedán
Old 13th March, 2003, 11:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to ayankdownunder

WOW!!!

I think I will put the card on ebay and get an ATi 9500 and mod it. Seems alot easier. However, I appreciate you taking the time to help me and my situation!!!:beer:

If you are curious as to the cooling mod here is a pic of the card.

The ebay link is http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ADME:B:LC:AU:1

Not trying to make a sale here as I am now living in Australia but it shows more of the pics. The card went 245/490 with the extra cooling and broke 10,200 3dmarks. Not to shabby for a Ti200 on air.

Thanks again,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical people please advise-ebay3.jpg  
(Died March 6th 2003)Athlon 1700+ @ 2.1Ghz (2600+) (10x210) 1.92V. 512mb Corsair XMS 3500 2-2-2-4 2.9V Active Nbridge cooling, Active Mosfet cooling, passive Sbridge cooling. 4 Antec "Blue" case fans. Volcano 9 with Sunon 80mm High CFM fan. Antec True Power Blue 480W PSU. Geforce 3 Ti200 128mb.

"New Machine" IBM 300pl 300mhz Celeron!
384mb ram, 2mb video card 3gig hard drive.. Red Hat 7.2 LOL NO SHAME!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!