AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th September, 2001, 01:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

GeForce 2 MX400 and Hitachi 21" mon.

I think Pinky gave me a hand on this on the other site. I am still having probs with my 21" Hitachi monitor. I will only work on 1024x768 if I up the refresh rate. 75+ hertz. I am using Power Strip to force the card to 85Hz in windows 98. I am locking it by setting it to custom. All is grand but now when browsing or whatever my desktop lucks up. The mouse still moves so I know it's not my machine that is locking. I ran it for hours in VGA mode(no vid drivers installed and no prob.) I installed the 12.81 drivers from Pinky's site. At first I thought it was because of using a beta of ps. I installed a newer version and same thing. I am going to set it up at a lower res tonight with a lower refresh rate. My theory is that the GF card won't hang in the higher refresh rates. Any one have any input here?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2001, 02:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

I could only get 60Hz at 1024 on my 17" monitor with my MX400.

Upgraded to Win2000Pro and the Det XP's, can now get 1600*1200 at 75Hz. But the text is so small on a 17" screen.

Running 1152*864, 32 bit colour and 80Hz refresh at the moment.......

Try some other drivers, or upgrade your OS and use the DetXP's.........
Old 25th September, 2001, 02:55 PM

It actually did fine in 2K pro. I had a few issues with some games.
I may just have to go back to 2K. It's a work station monitor so it is a little picky about refresh rates. It boots up fine at 640x480 @ 60 Hz. But will not sync at 60Hz with 1024x768. Is what is odd is that I never had a prob with lock ups b4 using the same drivers. Not until I forced the higher refresh rates. Is there other SW that I can use to force the refresh rates other than PS?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2001, 03:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

I know there was a 60Hz lock up issue with Win2000 that MS offered a fix for, but I've not heard about one for 98. Might be worth having a nosy at MS's site for a bug-fix............
Old 25th September, 2001, 11:07 PM

Ok guys.....

If I set it up at 640x480 60Hz no lockups. Mon monitor will not sync at 1024x768 @ 60Hz. If I go to display properties and adapter I can select a higher refresh rate. This does nothing. My monitor on screen display still shows 60Hz. If I set up power strip to custum refresh rate of, let's say 85 Hz @ 1024 x 768 it works fine. But then my machine locks up. Is this common for win 98 not to let you manually adjust the refresh rate? If so is my only fix to go to 2K pro?
Old 26th September, 2001, 01:49 AM

Might be the monitor cause I am looking at the box on my Visiontek GF2Mx400 and at 1024*786 it will do from 60hz to 200hz if the monitor can take it.

AMD XP 1700+ @ 1639mhz (Bad vid card can't hold high FSB)
Epox 8hka+
Aska Silver Mtn 40ÂșC full load folding 24/7
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
60gb Seagate 7200rpm
GF2MX400 w/ updated bios modded with 23cfm fan and AS2 under the heatsink on the GPU
Old 26th September, 2001, 04:24 AM

I can force it up using power strip. Windows will not adjust it up. Power strip is locking up my machine if I force refresh rates. I will be reinstalling 2K tomorrow.....
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:12 AM
AOA Staff

It does sound like powerstrip is locking it . have you looked at tweakfiles.com for another utility?
Old 26th September, 2001, 01:57 PM

I will look today. I was off helping a friend move last night. You know who your true friends are when they ask for help moving. But anyway, I may also go back to win 2 k tonight. When I changed the refresh rate in display properties it actually changed. I'll let you know what happens or works for that fact.....
Old 26th September, 2001, 02:28 PM

Make sure you keep us updated.........
Old 26th September, 2001, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reddeathdrinker
Make sure you keep us updated.........
This I will do.