AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th December, 2001, 12:08 AM
eobard

vid ram sinks

I've got an ATI RAGE FURY PRO 32meg VIVO card in my main machine. (I know ) Anywho the point is I've got an old 486 sink that's been cut in half. Each half is big enough to cover two of the four ram chips on the card. My 3D Mark2001 score is 1285 (I know ) and my vid mem speed is 80mhz. The card's default is 72mhz but every other card of my type supposedly defaults to at least 90, why mine is so much lower I've no idea. I've been wondering if adding the 486 bits as ram sinks would help me get more speed, what do you think?
Old 7th December, 2001, 03:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

it could help, but probably not by much. I would slap on better cooling on the GPU personally.
Old 7th December, 2001, 03:58 AM
Banned

Time to upgrade...

(I know )
Old 7th December, 2001, 04:03 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
it could help, but probably not by much. I would slap on better cooling on the GPU personally.
It came with a stock sink about the size of the 486 sink on it. I've since put the 486's fan on it as well. The utility I use to overclock it is "Rage128 tweaker" and the main vid chip is already at the max overclock the program will allow.
Old 7th December, 2001, 06:01 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard

It came with a stock sink about the size of the 486 sink on it. I've since put the 486's fan on it as well. The utility I use to overclock it is "Rage128 tweaker" and the main vid chip is already at the max overclock the program will allow.
I thought they run sync. I have one in my wife's pc, and I'd be really interested in learning to oc it. I think it benched 2000+ in 3Dmark2000 a while back. I've already overclocked all the CPUs in the house. If I can't think of something else, I'll have to overclock the toaster...

But I can stop whenever I want...really.
Old 7th December, 2001, 06:28 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

I thought they run sync. I have one in my wife's pc, and I'd be really interested in learning to oc it
They are sync. But for some stupid reason mine isn't. I'm wondering if I've got some kind of bootleg card. To my best knowledge the oem cards are 90/90 timing (mhz) and the retail are 120/120 (or something close to that). Mine is 72mhz memory and 120mhz core. The "tweaker" gives me a limit to oc'ing of 125mhz core (which it's at) and 150mhz memory (which it isn't even close to). 3D apps show artifacts when the memory is at 82-86mhz, over that the whole display is garbled. And it's really effing hard to remember the screen locations to click on the slider to lower the memory settings and then click "ok" if you overshoot your card's limits! You can get the tweaker here if you want to try it yourself.
Old 7th December, 2001, 01:28 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Got it. Thanks.
Old 7th December, 2001, 07:20 PM
eobard

Lemme know what the default settings on your wife's machine, I'd like to compare.
Old 7th December, 2001, 07:33 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'll check it tonight when I get home.
Old 8th December, 2001, 02:32 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Ouch... I just loaded and ran 3Dmark2001 on my wife's machine. It is running stock ragefuryprovivo.

w/ celeron 256mb ram, win98se2..

a whopping 1032 3d marks.

I don't know if I trust Rage3d tweaker. It says I am running
core =120mhz
memory=72mhz

I'll play with it a little.

It takes core at max = 125.
Memory a 100 freaked out and I jus rebooted.

Last edited by SteveI; 8th December, 2001 at 02:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2001, 02:45 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Ok eobard, looks like you're going to beat me. I just matched your settings: 125 core, 82 mem.

Rerunning 3dmark2001, you'll probably beat me by whatever edge that duron has over a celeron.

EDIT:
OK, now I'm really annoyed.
Scored a whopping 1045!!!.

I know I oc'd this pos card a while back and noticed much more difference. I can't remember the program. I do think it was forcing synchonous too. Now this is going to eat at me until I can remember. It was over a year ago I tried.

I bought this card for DVD and overall picture quality, not for gaming. I swear sometimes, I think it looks better than my Radeon. Oh well.. Sorry, I don't think I helped much.

Last edited by SteveI; 8th December, 2001 at 03:12 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2001, 03:30 AM
eobard

No need to appologize, it's nice to have other info to reference from. If you remember what the other oc'ing program you used was lemme know, I'd like to check it out.
Old 8th December, 2001, 03:58 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Well, I think I remember. Powerstrip. I downloaded and installed, after I restored the defaults and uninstalled the tweaker.

Memory is doubled... DDR?? I don't think so.

The settings look a lot different now:
Attached Thumbnails
vid ram sinks-p.gif  
Old 8th December, 2001, 04:04 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

BTW.. I'm glad I loaded Powerstrip. I just realized it's running at AGP 2x, doh!!

Ok.. I'm tired, and I'm only messing with this because I'm a bit obsessive... She really doesn't need performance to check her email and watch DVDs.. I think I'll work on it later..
Old 8th December, 2001, 04:11 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

OK, I lied.

I took the CPU up to 130
memory 160
(I guess the equiv of 80 in tweaker).

She locked up in like the third test of 3dmark.

I'll reset the speed and give up for now.
Old 8th December, 2001, 04:30 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Somebody stop me, I can't stop overclocking!!!

I managed to run the test at:
cpu 126
mem 160
still at 2x AGP

still stinks but at least its improving. It WILL go higher dammit.

eobard, try downloading powerstrip.. You can go for CPU mhz over 125. I think it can't handle much more tho. I think the memory might be at its limit.

Anyway, gnite.
Old 8th December, 2001, 05:19 AM
eobard

I've got it BUT using it would require I remove the tweaker and I like the many different options I get with tweaker. I know there's other stuff out there. I downloaded something else before but I lost it due to a reinstall. I'll find it again eventually.