AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2001, 12:16 AM
Banned

Cool Wish I didn't have these problems

Talk about a dilemma. I've worked myself hard into this...

So, for my gaming/workstation box, I have two of the best video cards (if you don't include the next generation):

Hercules Geforce 2 Ultra

Radeon 64DDR VIVO

I'm using the Hercules at the moment, and noticed a marked drop in 2D quality when she fired up and I ran 3dMark 2001. Funny thing, the Ultra doesn't score all that much higher than the Radeon card. Radeon has sold me, nvidia is for pure frames, sacrificing image quality in the process.

So, off to that 'worldwide garage sale' auction site with it.
Old 26th September, 2001, 12:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

Re: Wish I didn't have these problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Talk about a dilemma. I've worked myself hard into this...

So, for my gaming/workstation box, I have two of the best video cards (if you don't include the next generation):

Hercules Geforce 2 Ultra

Radeon 64DDR VIVO

I'm using the Hercules at the moment, and noticed a marked drop in 2D quality when she fired up and I ran 3dMark 2001. Funny thing, the Ultra doesn't score all that much higher than the Radeon card. Radeon has sold me, nvidia is for pure frames, sacrificing image quality in the process.

So, off to that 'worldwide garage sale' auction site with it.
lol- how mutch you want for your ultra? itll woop my mx any day. but im straped for cash right now.
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2001, 01:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jon

I know your dilemma well.

I have a Radeon 64MB VIVO in my secondary box (2 X P3 1125 on VP6) that I use purely for web browsing, etc. My gaming rig is equipped with a GF3 and the 8K7A+ 1.4 @ 1.67. I use it for gaming only as I agree on the lack of 2D quality it has when compared to the Radeon.

Guess you could say I enjoy the best of both worlds!
Old 26th September, 2001, 03:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
I know your dilemma well.

I have a Radeon 64MB VIVO in my secondary box (2 X P3 1125 on VP6) that I use purely for web browsing, etc. My gaming rig is equipped with a GF3 and the 8K7A+ 1.4 @ 1.67. I use it for gaming only as I agree on the lack of 2D quality it has when compared to the Radeon.

Guess you could say I enjoy the best of both worlds!
If only everyone had these problems .
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:15 AM
AOA Staff

the radeon 64ddr is a hell of a card, how much faster would you say the ultra was? , I think the radeons are quite a bit cheaper also
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
the radeon 64ddr is a hell of a card, how much faster would you say the ultra was? , I think the radeons are quite a bit cheaper also
I didn't even hit 4100 in 3dMark2001 with the 21.81 detonators and the Ultra card fully tweaked... the Radeon tweaked gets 3700, and with VIVO and better 2D quality for $160 brand spanking new, I'd say it's a steal.

Hence, Ultra is up for auction.
Old 6th October, 2001, 03:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

While I'm an NVIDIA man, I will admit they're pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to the crispness of 2D graphics. The Radeon is, of course, more crisp and has better color saturation. However, if you're more concerned about 2D than games, there is no better 2D display than that produced by Matrox.

The primary reason why most NVIDIA Cards have poor 2D and ATI and Matrox's are so good is the filters in the RAMDACS. While almost every manufacturer of NVidia based cards follow their reference design for board layout, they are free to use whatever ramdac they choose. This accounts for the great variety of 2D (especially at high resolution) graphics among NVIDIA cards. ATI and Matrox make their own, so they control the quality of the RAMDAC on their cards.
Old 6th October, 2001, 03:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SJAXKINGPIN
While I'm an NVIDIA man, I will admit they're pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to the crispness of 2D graphics. The Radeon is, of course, more crisp and has better color saturation. However, if you're more concerned about 2D than games, there is no better 2D display than that produced by Matrox.

The primary reason why most NVIDIA Cards have poor 2D and ATI and Matrox's are so good is the filters in the RAMDACS. While almost every manufacturer of NVidia based cards follow their reference design for board layout, they are free to use whatever ramdac they choose. This accounts for the great variety of 2D (especially at high resolution) graphics among NVIDIA cards. ATI and Matrox make their own, so they control the quality of the RAMDAC on their cards.
Makes perfect since, but then again... all Nvidia cards have poor 2D, haven't seen one that isn't poor in that dept; which means the manufacturer's are choosing to skimp in the ramdac filter; so either way ATI wins for have good 3d and excellent 2d.