AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th December, 2001, 08:25 PM
Member/Contributer

Please help me fix my speakers

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics computer speakers, BA635.

You can see them here:
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...=5&SeriesID=31

They are about two years old now I think, and they are still playing ok.

Now to my problem:
They are supposed to have an automatic power off function when they haven't been used for an hour. This worked in the beginning, but for some time now this feature hasn't worked.

They simply stay turned on all day, and because of the auto shut down there is no power switch on them, and I don't like pulling the plug every time I'm not using them.

What can be wrong? What can I do to fix this?

There is another thing, they seem to "hummmm" a bit constantly, anything I can do to get rid of this humming?

TIA,
Allan.
Old 19th December, 2001, 08:56 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Do they use drivers? Maybe there is an update.

Otherwise, how does the speakers know when to shut down? If it is no signal for 1 hour means shut off, then maybe try turning down the volume (or mute) from sound in the tray icon. Have you changed sound cards lately? If you did, maybe the hum is from the sound card and the speakers think that is "sound" so it is staying on..

Just taking wild guesses . I hope this helps.
Old 19th December, 2001, 09:14 PM
Member/Contributer

No, no drivers for the speakers. But I DO notice that the humm level goes way down when I mute all sound in the tray icon... which afterall is easier than pulling the plug.

But when I turn my computer off, the speakers are still turned on... even after an hour.

And yes, they should shut down if they don't get a signal for an hour, and turn on automatically when recieving a signal from the sound card.

My sound card is a SB Live!, and its been in my computer ever since I built it.
Old 19th December, 2001, 09:58 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Well, since there is no driver for the speakers, I guess the speakers are supposed to be intelligent and turn themselves off when there is no signal for an hour.

Try unplugging the speakers from the PC and see if they turn themselves off eventually. If not, I tend to think that the circuitry to shut it off is broken. Also, if you get humming when the sound is muted, your speakers may be shot too.
Old 19th December, 2001, 10:20 PM
Member/Contributer

I have been thinking along those lines as well. And yeah, they actually are supposed to be "intelligent" with the auto shut down / power on feature.

I fear for the worst, but hope for the best!

Thanks for your ideas.