AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th July, 2003, 07:56 PM

need help, system slow but cant figure out why

I built a system about 2 years ago and it seemed to run fine these past 2 years but my system started crashing alot playing 3D games and I traced it down to a bad video card (GeForce 2 MX). Not wanting to spend alot on a new card yet (waiting for Doom 3 to build entirely new system), I bought a GeForce FX5200 128MB 64bit which was propably not a very good choice. Also I thought it was a 128bit card but the companies add was misleading and I found out later it was a "value" card. So back to the real story, I decided to benchmark with my old and new video card. I downloaded the newest version of 3D Mark 2001 SE and to my horror my score was only 1480 and my system is an Athlon 1.33 Ghz with 1.5GB of PC133 RAM and of coure the GeForce FX5200. This is absurdly low from what I have seen from other people posting and I didnt think my system was that bad. Does anyone have ideas on what could cause me to get such a low score with this system? My system plays most games decently but I do crank down the quality on most.

Someone please help!

Adam
Old 26th July, 2003, 08:00 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Got a via chipset? Maybe try installing the latest 4 in 1's
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2003, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Got a via chipset? Maybe try installing the latest 4 in 1's
Rob
I have an Abit KT7A motherboard and I downloaded the newest VIA 4 in 1 drivers and new bios last night and it didnt help much. It did switch my video card mode from AGP (PCI Mode) to AGP (4x) though which was like a 5% increase in my 3d Mark score. I also have the newest NVidia video card driver. Should this system really be this slow? I am running Windows 2000.

Adam
Old 27th July, 2003, 02:31 AM

Well, I found out why my scores were so low. As it turns out, I had 4x FSAA always on and 8x anisotropic filtering on as well. I assume that when people test using 3dMark 2001 they have those turned off in the card device driver?

Adam
Old 27th July, 2003, 03:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

Yes, always turn those off when benching. I assume youre getting like 4500 3dmarks with them off?
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th July, 2003, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyperson1
Yes, always turn those off when benching. I assume youre getting like 4500 3dmarks with them off?
Wow, how did you guess so close to my mark? My 3d2001SE mark was 4498 after some bios tweaking. It was 4304 before I did the tweaking. I learned alot in the process and gained about 5% performance increase, so I suggest you all make sure your bios settings are the best they can be!

Adam
Old 27th July, 2003, 10:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

Haha, thats amazing. Actually I had a friend who had built a little better system than yours and got 4800. Bow to my 1337 skillz.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon