AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January, 2002, 05:17 AM

Smile Seeking Video Card knowledge

whats the reason when you leave Return to Castle Wolf (or any graphic intense game) and go back to Windows xp, that the screen goes black, then you receive your icons, then its adds some color to the screen , then your background comes in, all with your HD screaming in the background. Some games pop you right into you normal desktop display at one time. Is it lack of system memory, video memory or ? Just trying to gain some knowledge. can never get too much...
1-Samsung DDR256 2100
1-Corsair DDR256 2100
IBM 13.6GIG Hard Drive 7200rpm
A-Open Slot-Loading DVD
Sony Floppy Drive
SB Live Sound Card
Sparkle 400W PS
NEC FP950 Monitor
Microsoft Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Altec
Klipsch 4.1 Speakers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2002, 12:54 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

I noticed that too. But it's quite inconsistant on my computer. Sometimes it'll do that for like 10 seconds and sometimes it'll just kick me out to a perfect desktop. Anyone wanna enlighten us?

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2002, 06:09 PM
Banned

Games seize the computer's resources, so sometimes it gives those resources back to windows gracefully and sometimes not...

Details, hell you got me... I still think the things run on that magic smoke William's always referring to.
Old 3rd January, 2002, 07:02 PM
eobard

Maybe it's screen resolution. If your desktop is set to 800 by 600 and you play a game at 640 by 480 then maybe the delay is because the system is resizing everything.
Old 3rd January, 2002, 07:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

I would agree with Pinky. I think while getting back to windows, its clearing up the ram and other stuff from the game, and at the same time displaying windows desktop. CPU can do one thing at a time, but it does it really fast. Since it has many things to do, its slowing down....
Old 4th January, 2002, 05:24 AM

and that you are video card is changing modes, from OpenGL back to normal windows... Then the Video card has to re-initilize itself

null
Old 4th January, 2002, 01:01 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

And that, on my computer at least, Wolf takes up 97% resources

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 4th January, 2002, 03:11 PM
Banned

It's probably a combination of all these explanations

Open GL/video to desktop.
Resolutions changing.
Game releasing system resources.
Windows environment reinitializing.
Old 6th January, 2002, 06:15 AM

Oh yeah...

I find it very interesting though that you can go from a major 3D game and back to windows over and over at least 10 times in a row and the 'return to desktop' can be 10 different time lengths. When you close that wonderful game you are playing you find that the time it takes to get back to your desktop is so varied and there is really no constants at all no matter how many times you do that. I believe Pinky is close to the answer when he mentions it's a combination of all things brought up in this thread, your system's resources and settings can be all over the place and since nothing is perfect in an imperfect situation such as computers, even a fast(powerful) one needs a bit of time to return to "idle".

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....
Old 6th January, 2002, 10:44 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Seeking Video Card knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by nugget16
whats the reason when you leave Return to Castle Wolf (or any graphic intense game) and go back to Windows xp, that the screen goes black, then you receive your icons, then its adds some color to the screen , then your background comes in, all with your HD screaming in the background. Some games pop you right into you normal desktop display at one time. Is it lack of system memory, video memory or ? Just trying to gain some knowledge. can never get too much...
The biggest hint in this is "your HD screaming in the background". This means that most of your normal Windows stuff is sitting out on your swap file. When you drop back to the desktop, the kernel has to page all that stuff back into memory again for it to be able to finish redrawing your desktop, and for you to continue doing your normal activities. It generally indicates that you've not quite got enough system memory.

If you want to find out, start whatever XP's version of performance manager is, and leave it monitoring RAM usage and swap file usage.

AidanII
Old 8th January, 2002, 07:17 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Re: Re: Seeking Video Card knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

It generally indicates that you've not quite got enough system memory.

If you want to find out, start whatever XP's version of performance manager is, and leave it monitoring RAM usage and swap file usage.

AidanII

I was thinking of something to that effect.

So how much memory do you guys have that are having this prob?

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 8th January, 2002, 05:03 PM

I just added another 256 module of memory, bringing the total up to 512, and it now pops right out of Wolfenstein to my Desktop.
Thanks for all the good info.
1-Samsung DDR256 2100
1-Corsair DDR256 2100
IBM 13.6GIG Hard Drive 7200rpm
A-Open Slot-Loading DVD
Sony Floppy Drive
SB Live Sound Card
Sparkle 400W PS
NEC FP950 Monitor
Microsoft Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Altec
Klipsch 4.1 Speakers
Old 8th January, 2002, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by nugget16
I just added another 256 module of memory, bringing the total up to 512, and it now pops right out of Wolfenstein to my Desktop.
Thanks for all the good info.
That's awesome troubleshooting Adian, I completely missed that harddrive observation

Glad that worked.

I have 512MB but still have some pause when exitting a game, but come to think of it, it's much less that when I only had 256 RAM.
Old 9th January, 2002, 06:51 AM

i got 576 and still get that pause.
How much RAM do you need?

I think it is unavoidable, windows likes to use the page file...
and page whatever data in RAM it is not using.

null