AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

View Poll Results: Did you see improvement with these drivers?
Yes 4 40.00%
No 1 10.00%
Only in FPS/3dMark 1 10.00%
ATI still stinks 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th January, 2002, 06:37 AM
Banned

New Radeon Beta drivers 98-ME 9008/w2k and XP 6011

Windows 2000 beta.

Windows XP beta.

Windows 98/ME beta.

Some are claiming good results with these, some are having typical Radeon driver issues. Apparently these will work with the 7000 generation Radeon cards also, but are intended for use with the 8500 series.

Feel free to leave your comments/questions here.
Old 13th January, 2002, 06:41 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sorry, I need to buy a vowel.
I have an old RadeonLE... can I use these drivers, or is it only for the new 7500-8500 Radeons?
Old 13th January, 2002, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
I have an old RadeonLE... can I use these drivers, or is it only for the new 7500-8500 Radeons?
The comments I've read only made mention of 7000+ series cards utilizing them... you probably won't be able to, but if you give them a try let us know how they work... I will be trying them after I finish up here, so I'll have something to say...

OK -- My results:

4000 points in 3dMark2001, the highest ever for this card. Also notice the absolute smoothness, no bottlenecking whatsoever, etc. These really do seem to work wonders!

Last edited by Pinky; 13th January, 2002 at 07:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2002, 07:27 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
If they work with 7000+ you will be fine. Because your LE is the same as a 7000, just at a lower core/mem clock. I don't have a system to run my radeon on at the moment, otherwise I would've been all over them

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2002, 07:32 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I got hosed!!!!
On my XP system, I loaded the Xp driver... It gave me messages that some of the files being installed were older than what I had, (huh?) so I did not replace. Problem 1: I can't look at the settings 'cause the screen will freeze and go black. Problem 2: When I tried to run 3d2k01, it gave me an error... looked familiar, kinda like when I tried to run it using an old directx.

ergo, for me it sucks. no benchies. I gott get back in so I can try to roll back the driver. Never did it ... hope it works.
Old 13th January, 2002, 07:37 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
I got hosed!!!!
On my XP system, I loaded the Xp driver... It gave me messages that some of the files being installed were older than what I had, (huh?) so I did not replace. Problem 1: I can't look at the settings 'cause the screen will freeze and go black. Problem 2: When I tried to run 3d2k01, it gave me an error... looked familiar, kinda like when I tried to run it using an old directx.

ergo, for me it sucks. no benchies. I gott get back in so I can try to roll back the driver. Never did it ... hope it works.
Rule #1: Always replace. You have half of one drivers files, and half of the other drivers. Rolling back is the first thing to try. If no work, delete adapter and reinstall drivers.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 13th January, 2002, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

Rule #1: Always replace. You have half of one drivers files, and half of the other drivers. Rolling back is the first thing to try. If no work, delete adapter and reinstall drivers.
I didn't run into that issue because, as superman says, "always replace."
Old 13th January, 2002, 04:31 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

I didn't run into that issue because, as superman says, "always replace."
Ok.. I'll try again. I figured there was a problem since some of the files were older than what I was using. I'll cross my fingers and try again.
Old 13th January, 2002, 04:51 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

It would appear that I've made quite a few newbie mistakes this weekend with upgrades. I've got a lot of work left, and I gotta use my head better.

I need to change my vote:
Old default XP drivers: 3275.
New beta drivers: 3599!!!

http://gamershq.madonion.com/product...?&prid=2454683

[edit: I just figured out how to use the result browser.]

For guys who have studied the radeon, do my scores look right?

That's a pretty significant boost for this ole' card. I wonder what the 7000 series scores with the old drivers.

Last edited by SteveI; 13th January, 2002 at 04:56 PM.
Old 14th January, 2002, 11:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

question

Ok, can we really use these Beta drivers without a problem? As always the web site gives all those disclaimers and all that jazz.
Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 15th January, 2002, 12:21 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The only problems I encountered were through my own mistakes. The performance improvement was quite noticable. And I recommend them, based on my limited exposure to them.
Old 15th January, 2002, 12:47 AM
Banned

Re: question

Quote:
Originally posted by thehandler
Ok, can we really use these Beta drivers without a problem? As always the web site gives all those disclaimers and all that jazz.
Mike
I think those who've encountered issues were clicking "NO" to replacing files during installation, but if you click "Yes" to replace newer files, you'll be fine.

"Just click Yes."

Smoke that Nancy Reagan!!
Old 17th January, 2002, 12:47 AM

I just installed the Beta drivers for my Radeon 32DDR. I am using the WIn98SE os. MY 3DMARK 2001 scores went up by 200 points. Woe, I am impressed. I had just a couple of weeks before that, installed the latest official drivers off the web site. When I did, myscores fell by about 70 points over the previous driver. Then when I installed this Beta driver, I got all that back and an additional 130 points. Mike
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 18th January, 2002, 09:07 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

I just installed my new 8500 and was doing some mega-testing. Here is the 1st test with old drivers at stock speed.
Attached Thumbnails
New Radeon Beta drivers 98-ME 9008/w2k and XP 6011-3-d-mark-2001-7493.jpg  
Old 18th January, 2002, 09:08 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

Here is the 2nd test with new drivers at stock speed. I need to learn how to tweak this thing!!
Attached Thumbnails
New Radeon Beta drivers 98-ME 9008/w2k and XP 6011-3-d-mark-2001-7727.jpg  
Old 18th January, 2002, 06:34 PM

stuff

Damn, that's a hell of a benchmark. Woe.... If I might suggest using the program called Radeon Tweaker to oc your card. I use it on mine and it is awesome. I think it is the best of the Radeon Teakers and uses the least amount of resouces. My guess is that your scores will be reach some awesome numbers.
Say, is your card an LE version or is it the OEM or is it the Retail?
Have you verified the memory used if it is 230/250/275mhz?
Thanks Mike
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 19th January, 2002, 04:14 AM
Banned

It is an LE, 250/250. All the tests are at those speeds. I tweaked it abit to 275/275 (retail 8500 teritory) and I acheived the following score.
Attached Thumbnails
New Radeon Beta drivers 98-ME 9008/w2k and XP 6011-1_multipart_xf8ff_2_3-d-mark-2001-8165.jpg  
Old 19th January, 2002, 06:17 AM

memory

The LE version is supposed to have 230mhz ram from every source I can find. The oem is 250 and the retail is 275mhz.
I just ordered today an oem at 250mhz and frankly, I wish I had the bucks to go all out on the retail but the price diff is way too much.
I am just wondering why you listed it as 250? Just curious. Very impressive scores guy. Mike
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 19th January, 2002, 06:36 AM
Banned

It is OEM but I am under the impression that the OEM and LE are the same. I could be wrong, I am new to ATI. I am sure that the stock core and memory is 250 according to powerstrip and the memory is -36
Old 19th January, 2002, 02:30 PM

The .9008beta driver gets my vote. 3DMark2001 score on my LE 32DDR jumped about 250 pts.! I can't rule out possible other issues since all I've done since installing is the benchmark but it looks good so far.