AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th January, 2002, 02:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

Question Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex question

Haveing heard that Via chipset's have problem with Sound Blaster sound chip's The mobo I have is a Soyo Sy-k7VTA-Pro With a Via KT133A NorthBridge and 686B SouthBridge

So will I have a problem and is their a fix for it?

------------------------------------------------
:My System:

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Hitachi Gd-2500 dvd-rom drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers
Intel PII450Mhz <-------Server computer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2002, 02:35 PM
Banned

I am certain you'll be OK, think you have the proper chipset and won't encounter any issues.

There are fixes available for the issues, so don't fret too much about them (it's happening on fewer chipsets than in past Soundblaster issues).
Old 15th January, 2002, 02:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

ok good.... Now when are the Geforce 4's comeing out? And what's their price going to be on their high end model?

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2002, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariF50
ok good.... Now when are the Geforce 4's comeing out? And what's their price going to be on their high end model?
They still don't use the GF3 features. Don't bother to get either until there's at least a game or three that use pixel shaders, etc...
Old 15th January, 2002, 04:56 PM

I myself think Nvdia is getting ahead of it's self....Anyway I'm trying to decide should I get the Klipsch 4.1's or the Logtec Z560 both have 400Watts the Logtec is about $150 cheaper I think...Sub's sound the same...Lots of problems with the new Klipsch 5.1's and problems with the 4.1's speakers cuting out and so on..and a Transistor problem in the 5.1's....so I'm looking forward to the Logtec now as I just got a Yamaha 30Watt 2.1 yesterday.. I would love to see 400Watts of Bass in my room LOL

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 15th January, 2002, 05:24 PM
Banned

I have a 3 piece labtec set that sound great, only $50 at best buy, and I produce music on/with them lol

Kilpsch sound great, yes. For $150, how great? Not that great.
Old 15th January, 2002, 05:38 PM

Here is the Logitec Z-560 man thats a big port on the side! The best thing is it's only $199.99 unlike Klispch's 4.1 which is $299

http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/i...chz560/kit.jpg

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 15th January, 2002, 05:56 PM
Banned

Seen a few reviews on those, great bargain speakers

Good choice.
Old 15th January, 2002, 06:01 PM

lol I can only turn it up when my negibor is not here or my mom...I want to see how good it sound..all the stores I go to never have those klispch hooked up...But their Prices are like Intel.... so I really think I'm going to get these..maybe Next month most likey..So i will let you know how it goes...lol because my Yamaha 30Watt 2.1 is not up to the job...But it does do a good job when it's turned up half way...

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 15th January, 2002, 09:20 PM
Banned

I use egg cartons to absorb some of the sub woofers vibrations... 400 watts is a lot more than most need, I have 470 Watts in my home 5.1 system and never used more than 100 of it
Old 15th January, 2002, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
I use egg cartons to absorb some of the sub woofers vibrations... 400 watts is a lot more than most need, I have 470 Watts in my home 5.1 system and never used more than 100 of it

Egg cartons?? thats new to me...Well looking around in the Klispch fourm most put their subs in the corner of a wall..they say it gives deeper bass...yes it does but nothing really to scream about...

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 16th January, 2002, 10:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Corner loading the sub does help with most consumer subs, but with the risk that you'll end up with boomy muddy sound. This is even more true in smaller rooms, where you can't realistically reproduce such low frequencies without throwing a lot of power and a lot of EQ at it.

Personally, I'm running a Sherwood receiver as my amp - the closest US model is the RD-6106. That manages 60W RMS x 5 channels. No idea how that compares to the Klipsch, as Klipsch don't post meaningful figures on their website. The Sherwood was ~£150. The front speakers are Jamo, and actually need replacing, as their high end response starts to flag after about 15KHz. The rear speakers are Ariston MSX03's - not the best in the world either!

I'm running a Depth Charge sub, based around a Kenwood 12" sub and a 5th order box, running off a seperate amplifier. This is good enough to get down into the infrasonics, if you fancy wasting power. No, it's not corner loaded, as it'd sound bad if it were!

AidanII
Old 16th January, 2002, 01:48 PM

well I'm going to try out that Logitech if they could ever keep them in stock! the sub on the Logitec is 188Watts thats more then the Klispch 4.1 can offer...Plus I bet it sounds better anyway.

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 16th January, 2002, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
Corner loading the sub does help with most consumer subs, but with the risk that you'll end up with boomy muddy sound. This is even more true in smaller rooms, where you can't realistically reproduce such low frequencies without throwing a lot of power and a lot of EQ at it.

Personally, I'm running a Sherwood receiver as my amp - the closest US model is the RD-6106. That manages 60W RMS x 5 channels. No idea how that compares to the Klipsch, as Klipsch don't post meaningful figures on their website. The Sherwood was ~£150. The front speakers are Jamo, and actually need replacing, as their high end response starts to flag after about 15KHz. The rear speakers are Ariston MSX03's - not the best in the world either!

I'm running a Depth Charge sub, based around a Kenwood 12" sub and a 5th order box, running off a seperate amplifier. This is good enough to get down into the infrasonics, if you fancy wasting power. No, it's not corner loaded, as it'd sound bad if it were!

AidanII
I grabbed a decent STR-DE475 Sony amp (I never thought much of them, but for surround sound they're ok), using a 75Watt powered KLH sub, KLH center and rears (got them free with the purchase of the Sony amp), and a pair of Sony MB100H smaller front speakers. I am very please with the fronts, they compliment the range of the sub fine (seem to pick right up where the sub lacks) and have great definition for $50/pair.

maybe this will answer spyder's other thread too

I used to believe in "the bigger the better", but ever since I heard a Bose setup, I know that's not the case
Old 16th January, 2002, 04:57 PM

Quote:

I grabbed a decent STR-DE475 Sony amp (I never thought much of them, but for surround sound they're ok), using a 75Watt powered KLH sub, KLH center and rears (got them free with the purchase of the Sony amp), and a pair of Sony MB100H smaller front speakers. I am very please with the fronts, they compliment the range of the sub fine (seem to pick right up where the sub lacks) and have great definition for $50/pair.

maybe this will answer spyder's other thread too

I used to believe in "the bigger the better", but ever since I heard a Bose setup, I know that's not the case

yeah I remember hearing a Bose in person...I was in shock I was like this sounds like crap...How can people like it? and their prices are crazy!

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 16th January, 2002, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariF50

yeah I remember hearing a Bose in person...I was in shock I was like this sounds like crap...How can people like it? and their prices are crazy!
Then you heard wrong!

The setups I've heard (and not the ones in best buy mind you) were great!
Old 16th January, 2002, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Then you heard wrong!

The setups I've heard (and not the ones in best buy mind you) were great!
becides their bass is not as strong as I thought..

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 16th January, 2002, 08:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I still love my Herc XP gamer.
Old 16th January, 2002, 11:55 PM

I still have my Hec. Forssmio II sound card....It's allright but it's kinda crappy with their Windows Xp drivers...My mini Disc never stoped rec. when I switch it over to sync rec. When i hook it up to the opical cable..I'm going to try the Sound Blaster Next...Besides it has Midi cable plugs on the front.. Just what I need for my Music keyboard.

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 17th January, 2002, 01:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

hmm. the XP drivers with my xp gamer work great for me.